• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Generation ecstasy

E-llusion

Bluelight Crew
IN the US they're called kidults. Australian social researcher David Chalke labels them adultescents. They're the young Australians aged 18 to 30 who are extending adolescence and deferring adulthood, usually signified by milestones such as marriage, children and mortgage.

About half of them live at home with their parents until well into their 20s. They are members of an affluent demographic who have benefited from a decade of economic prosperity, low unemployment and the extra cash saved from depending on their parents.

And a significant proportion are spending a fair chunk of that cash on party drugs - increasingly in the home (their own or friends'), to avoid detection or arrest in clubs and on the street.

"It's the emphasis on the experiential and the now," Chalke says. "Taking the pleasure now is more important than investment in the future, material or social or emotional."

Research by the Australian Drug Foundation underscores the pleasure principle driving the social behaviour of cashed-up twentysomethings.

Sixty per cent of nightclubbers with an average age of 23 surveyed in Melbourne clubs and bars over the past six months said they had taken a party drug such as ecstasy, cocaine, speed, ketamine (an anaesthetic known as Special K) or gammahydroxybutyrate (a depressant variously known as GHB, GBH or Grievous Bodily Harm). The pattern is not confined to Melbourne.

The National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre described as "staggering" the finding that 20 per cent of 20 to 29-year-olds nationally had tried ecstasy. That figure is now considered conservative because it was taken from the last population survey in 2001.

Cameron Duff of the Australian Drug Foundation's Centre for Youth Drug Studies says drugs such as ecstasy have become so popular with young people they have overtaken alcohol as the party substance of choice.

"Party drug use started in the rave community in the late 1980s and early '90s and now it has spread out into the mainstream of youth culture," Duff says. "Drug use is regarded as a normal part of young people's leisure time, of going out and dancing."

But there is an often-ignored downside. One in five ecstasy users are likely to be psychologically dependent on the drug. There are reports of panic attacks, anxiety and depression -- or so-called "Eccy Mondays" or "Eccy Tuesdays", when users experience a severe psychological down a few days after a binge.

"A lot of young people use drugs in all sorts of chaotic ways," Duff says. More and more, users are popping pills they think are ecstasy but might contain traces of ketamine or other harmful substances.

Drug educators and researchers are especially worried about the spike in the use of a relatively new and inexpensive party drug, GHB, that first appeared on the Australian dance scene in the late '90s. Last month there was a spate of overdoses in Melbourne that left 10 people unconscious. Police experts warn that the drug, usually made in backyard laboratories, can be fatal.

People who choose to use GHB face significant risks, says Louise Degenhardt, chief researcher with the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre.

"In terms of reducing harm, GHB is a tricky drug to use safely," she says, noting the dangers of mixing the drug with alcohol.

Yet with GHB prices at an all-time low -- sometimes as little as $3 for a vial -- its popularity is rising.

The latest research shows GHB and ketamine are being used across the country, from Darwin to Melbourne and Sydney. And there is a connection with ecstasy.

"We're fairly confident most people will have tried ecstasy before they've tried these drugs. They are adding on at a later point," Degenhardt says.

While GHB has hospital emergency rooms busy coping with overdoses on weekends, a sharp rise in the use of crystal methamphetamine, or ice, also has drug experts concerned.

"We've seen an increase in the number of seizures ... it appears availability is increasing," says Courtney Breen of the National Drugs and Alcohol Research Centre.

Party drug users are most likely to smoke ice, which is a highly effective route of administration for the drug. "But it's a potent drug, so there are harms that need to be considered," Breen says.

Dependence and mental health problems, including psychosis, were a risk for ice users, according to health professionals and law enforcement officers.

But drugs experts and educators are wary of the kind of zero-tolerance message that characterises the zealous anti-smoking campaigns of recent decades.

"We don't want to use scaremongering tactics because the young person won't listen to anything they're told," Breen says. "We need to look at the harm as well as the good things, and look at strategies to limit the harm, like using less and looking out for their friends."

Degenhardt agrees, noting that regular ecstasy users are typically sporadic, not daily, indulgers.

The biggest risks are associated with bingeing. Binge drug use, like binge-drinking, is showing up as a common high-risk behaviour among younger Australians.

The National Drug and Alcohol Centre found in 2003 that most party drug users were not frequent users.

"They're using for 48 hours, bingeing and going without sleep for two days," says Degenhardt.

Often, ecstasy use was combined with a number of other drugs such as cannabis or alcohol. However, bingers could not only overdose, they could be putting themselves in high-risk situations, including unwanted sex or rape.

Dale Stagg, spokesman for family rights group Focus on the Family Australia, oversees courses for parents on how to drug-proof children. Stagg agrees that by the time young people are in their 20s the "just say no" approach to drugs such as ecstasy or cocaine has often failed.

"At that age there have been opportunities lost to hopefully steer kids clear of harmful drug use," he says. "But history will tell us that scaremongering doesn't work. Those of us in drug education are trying to repair some of the damage done in the past. Kids have been given misinformation."

In his drug-proofing courses, run by 1700 "facilitators" around Australia, parents are advised to be more effective communicators during adolescence and beyond.

"It's all very well to teach them to use drugs safely. Let's get a bit real here, let's communicate with our kids, let's build strong families that hopefully will help our kids steer clear of ecstasy and GHB," Stagg says. "You are crossing a line from which you're not really sure you'll come back when you get into drugs like GHB."

A values conflict arises when parents of the new "adultescents" take a more indulgent attitude towards their children's abuse of drugs and alcohol. "A lot of their parents are baby boomers and they tend in some way to be more tolerant and more encouraging of that sort of life," Chalke says.

"In the old days you'd have called it irresponsible freedom."

Chalke points out that the twentysomethings are the "children of the social revolution", born after the move to no-fault divorce laws and the reality of broken families.

The answer for parents still coping with adult children and their more adolescent behaviour in the home may be more house rules -- and setting a good example.

"They are living under the family roof with certain graces and I would hope that parents are able to put in place a values base those young adults will operate within," Stagg says.

"It doesn't matter if it's a 17-year-old or a 27-year-old if there are issues impacting the wider family under that roof."

Stagg says that despite the increase in the use of party drugs, parents still believe alcohol and tobacco are the big issues they face.

"We seem to have accepted that abusing alcohol between the ages of 16 to 18 is a rite of passage," he says.

"But what are the messages we are sending as parents? We are the role models. Parents are the single biggest influence over our kids in respect to drug use."

----------------------------
Generation ecstasy
By Emma-Kate Symons
April 21, 2004

Link

Crazeee said:

About half of them live at home with their parents until well into their 20s. They are members of an affluent demographic who have benefited from a decade of economic prosperity, low unemployment and the extra cash saved from depending on their parents.

Well there is a staggering amount of BS in this article, But I would like to point out the economic BS. I live with my parents because rent would take 70% of my monthly pay away, then insurance/gas gets whats left over. No getting ahead in life like that...

Maybe alot of young people have seen what their parents had to go thought re: marrage/mortgage/kids and dont wanna follow that trend ??

I actually thought it was a good article, valid points and attempts to discourage "scaremongering".

Overall I give it an A-

I actually thought it was a good article, valid points and attempts to discourage "scaremongering".

^^ yep I agree. My mum has been leaving drug articles on the kitchen table each morning trying to scare me away from drugs - most of them were bullshit but this one had some valid points.

"It's the emphasis on the experiential and the now," Chalke says. "Taking the pleasure now is more important than investment in the future, material or social or emotional."
^^ sadly this is how i think- might not be the smartest thing but it's what I do. :\

Didn't like the bit about parents inforcing more rules on their "adult children" :p

I know a LOT of people like this back in Melbourne... they are like 25 years old.. still live at home and all because they spend all their cash on drugs.. they have motivation for the future and cant see past what pill they are going to have next weekend. I would rather fucking be dead than in a brain dead situation like that. I don't understand how you can be 25 - 30 with not only no direction - but no idea that they need it and that at some stage they have to start acting like adults.

Crazeee said:
"It's all very well to teach them to use drugs safely. Let's get a bit real here, let's communicate with our kids, let's build strong families that hopefully will help our kids steer clear of ecstasy and GHB," Stagg says.

Oh yes, I take drugs because because I lack a strong family.
Maybe lacked the social support I needed as a child and as such find the need to indulge in drugs to suppress these feelings... sure.
:\

Crazeee said:
"You are crossing a line from which you're not really sure you'll come back when you get into drugs like GHB."
Hence we should just turn our backs on these persons who have crossed the line.
They should be shunned away from normal, ridiculed and used to scare our children... "You don't want to end up like him.. do you Johnny?"
:\
Sorry, in a very critical mood.
PEACE

It's a good article in the sense that it relates to a stereotypical adult. An adult with a marriage, a child, and a mortgage.

No one in the US has ever said the word "kidults". Noone. Ever.

Wow, having a mortgage sucessful? What bullshit. If you were really sucessful you would build or be actually able to afford your own house. I guess they forgot to realize that people used to live at home until they could save up for a place of their own. Now it is nearly impossible to do so until you are almost thirty. Maybe people are more concerned with the "now" because their parents totally fucked up their future. They see how unhappy their parents are in their boring jobs and how they have no free time to do anything worthwhile, so they obviously don't want to follow down that path of always waiting for that day in the distant future when you get to rest and enjoy the money you have saved just to be too old to enjoy it.

GHB is not "new". It has been produced by the human body, well, since there has been a human body.

At least the article ends with something I always complain about, which is that no one is ever taught personal responsibility anymore. All we are taught is to sue someone else whenever we fuck up.

I've never heard of Kidults.

I wonder gee, I don't live at home. I'm 23. I slack on every responsibility possible. Not because I have no ambition, it's because I'm broke, and can't afford to pay all those bills. I don't want a mortgage to buy a house I really don't want to live in. I'd rather build my own, and make it independent of the energy grid. I spend more money on gas thatn I do on drugs. The petro companies are the ones keeping my down.:X

2.00+ for a damn gallon of gas, and my car only gets like 20mi to a gallon. I can't afford a new car, and my credit looks like the stock market crash of '29.

I like how they criminalized GHB, but you have it in your head to begin with. Soon they'll be trying to ban 5-HTP.:\

Maybe people are more concerned with the "now" because their parents totally fucked up their future. They see how unhappy their parents are in their boring jobs and how they have no free time to do anything worthwhile, so they obviously don't want to follow down that path of always waiting for that day in the distant future when you get to rest and enjoy the money you have saved just to be too old to enjoy it.

This is so, so right on. I didn't begin using anything until after I was 20 and had entered the workforce. I had seen clearly what life lay ahead of me. I lived with my family, in that social environment, and they didn't mind me being there one bit. It felt like slow death, and that quote is a perfect description of how i felt when drug use became an opportunity.

Is it even unusual for club culture to appeal to young people in that situation when it's competing with a culture of TV, sports, shopping, and shitty chain restaurants for people's time and money? First world children generally haven't been raised to nurture a rich inner life.....and they're looking for something they can really feel. That's my theory at least.

drexil_spivy said:
First world children generally haven't been raised to nurture a rich inner life.....and they're looking for something they can really feel. That's my theory at least.

^^^ i think this is true to a fair extent.

the article as a whole wasnt too bad,
you gotta remember its obviously not aimed at EVERY 18-30yo who takes drugs and still lives at home. but i know a hell of a lot of people who fit this catagory and use the same excuses as some of the posters have used above... its a hard world and to get anywhere you have to work hard and save every dollar.
dont get me wrong, im a lazy drug taking sleuth who would sooner spend $200 on a good nite out then eat for the next week. but im under no illusions, im taking the easy road and know that one day ill be paying for it in one way or another, i dont place any blame on parents/society/job/location/etc.... none of that shit.

you dont make your own luck but you make your own fortune

they've not actually said that it's a bad thing, they only hint toward it being potentially bad for future generations, by living at home until, let's say 30, your getting to skip thousands of pounds in taxes and plus, it's never to late to sort yourself out, it might be a little more difficult but it's certainly not impossible. I know a dude that moved out when he was 29, he's got it sorted now (about 5 years later), he lives in the capital, works in a hospital and has an awsome house...............and yes he did just party for about 15 years and I still bump into him in clubs... he's a great guy and he's honestly not had to exert himself to settle down, in this 'modern society', the pinocle of the human existence, it's so stupidly easy to go out, get a job that pays well...... your employers will even train you nowadays for free. That article is wrong in my opinion......... why should living at home for ages fuck up your life, it's totally ridiculous

I'm the odd one out, but I think it was a good article with a lot of valid points. The basic thrust of the article was about personal responsibility and self discipline. People can argue it as they wish, but generally speaking, from personal experience and observation, when you go out on your own and assume the burden of taking charge of your own life, you have a big head start on stability, direction, self discipline and a sense of responsibility. The trend in today's society is to shift the sense of responsiblity and the reasons for that to everyone else but ourselves.

Self responsiblity becomes the biggest harm reduction in life. Becoming financially responsible for an apartment, putting groceries on the table, paying utilities and making sound business decisions, brings about the realisation that one needs to find a respectable job, work hard and take it seriously. Now when I consider taking a drug such as Ecstasy, I have to make wise decisions on how it will affect me financially and in many ways what effects the after effects will have on my job performance.

When you reach this point, you begin to feel a sense of personal fulfillment and satisfaction at what you are accomplishing and how you are growing as an individual. For myself, those feelings and accomplishments started to fill a place in my life that, in my case, Ecstasy filled once every two months. The natural euphoria and excitement that came from accomplishments made through hard work and self discipline were far more fulfilling. Although I am in no way against the usage of certain drugs, I do not find that strong of a desire to take it nearly as much.

I'm probably biased because I'm attracted to people who are self-starters, energetic and goal oriented with a drive towards success. Although there are always broad exceptions to every rule, unless there are extenuating circumstances I doubt you will find many of these types of people parking at home for the first 1/3 of their life. Saving loads of money and the other benefits really don't prepare you for the realities of life, and all it does it delay the inevitable reality check that slams you in the face when you go out on your own.