• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Heavy social drinkers show brain damage

SilverFeniks

Bluelighter
WASHINGTON - Heavy social drinkers show the same pattern of brain damage as hospitalized alcoholics --enough to impair day-to-day functioning, U.S. researchers said on Wednesday.

Brain scans show clear damage, and tests of reading, balance and other function show people who drink more than 100 drinks a month have some problems, the researchers said.

“Socially functioning heavy drinkers often do not recognize that their level of drinking constitutes a problem that warrants treatment,” the researchers, at Vanderbilt University in Tennessee and the University of California San Francisco, wrote in their report.

“The enrollment criterion for heavy drinkers was the consumption of more than an average of 100 alcoholic drinks per month for men over 3 years before the study (80 drinks for women),” they wrote in the report, published in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research.

One drink is usually defined as a serving of spirits, a glass of wine or a can or bottle of beer.

Dieter Meyerhoff of UCSF and Dr. Peter Martin of Vanderbilt examined 46 chronic, heavy drinkers and 52 light drinkers recruited using newspaper ads and flyers.

Damage similar to alcoholics in treatment
They used magnetic resonance imaging to look at physical brain structures and also measured various brain chemicals associated with healthy brain function.

Standard tests of verbal intelligence, processing speed, balance, working memory, spatial function, executive function, and learning and memory were given to the volunteers.

“Our heavy drinkers sample was significantly impaired on measures of working memory, processing speed, attention, executive function, and balance,” the researchers wrote.

Measures of brain chemicals and structures showed some of the same damage seen in alcoholics who are in the hospital or treatment centers, they said.

The study is unusual in that most studies of brain damage from alcohol are done in people who have undergone treatment.

“What our findings indicate is that brain damage is detectable in heavy drinkers who are not in treatment and function relatively well in the community,” Meyerhoff said in a statement.

Martin and Meyerhoff said the study showed evidence of brain impairment, even if the drinkers cannot see it themselves.

“Our message is: Drink in moderation. Heavy drinking damages your brain ever so slightly, reducing your cognitive functioning in ways that may not be readily noticeable. To be safe, don’t overdue it.”

Meyerhoff said that for most adults, moderate alcohol use translates to up to two drinks per day for younger men, and one drink per day for women and older people.

source

Last edited:
After a week of very very heavy drinking, I can very much attest to this!!! But after a couple days of drinking water and taking some Ginkgo Biloba, I am good to go :)

Now this is a great front page article, I was recently noticing some striking similarities in the personalities of 2 heavy drinkers (~150-200 drinks per month) who I have had close contact with. Both of them were generally very quiet, rarely contributing anything to conversations except looks of disdain about the subject, but when they did choose to speak, they generally would list (mostly obvious) facts about the subject of discussion, with no real conclusions drawn.

Another commonality I noticed is the regular expression of strong dislike of a certain activity (for example: "I hate rolling, I wouldn't be caught dead doing it"), followed by doing it on a whim for no particular reason (rolling on a sunday afternoon at the mall).

Its amazing that nobody has ever bothered to do a study with nearly the exact same parameters for MDMA to compare the differences between heavy MDMA usage on the mind and moderate MDMA usage.

Hell this type of study sounds like something a Bluelighter taking a Sociology course could do! If only I had the time... Hey if anybody wants to do such a thing, I can provide webhosting and a web-form for collecting data.

Well duh, alcohol is a poisonous solvent that you slowly distrubute into your blood stream to get fucked up. Getting drunk is just slowly poisoning your system.

Oh how i love it so.

Who needs balance when you've got a bar stool.;)

But this further convinces me that we might as well just leaglize everything and let the morgue sort out the rest. No drugs are good for you, legal or otherwise.

yes, cholesterol reducers, blood thinning medicines, etc are good for you if you need them.

very very interesting... mayby this is why I can never sem to remember what Frosty tells me throughout the day......

I made a comment earlier, edited it out though ...

anyhow, the article mentions that these people have an average of 100 drinks a month, as "heavy social drinkers."

And that really IS heavy ... even if you go out two nights a week and down like 10 drinks somehow, that's still only about 80, and I don't know anyone who drinks even that much!

So if you're downing that much, I wouldn't call you a "heavy social drinker," I'd call you an alcoholic :\

Either way, alcohol has been proven time and time again to be far more dangerous than its illicit friends, yet you can still run down to the corner store and buy enough to kill you for $20.

^^ My thoughts exactly, how do they define heavy social drinker vs an alcoholic if it's 100 drinks per month ? To me it sounds like one and the same. This averages to 3.5 drinks per day every day, assuming "social drinkers" drink only on weekends that comes to about 12 drinks per each fri/sat night, that's a pretty heavy amount of alcohol. So you're only social drinker if you don;t drink every day ? Hmmm. Wow Alcohol is toxic in large amounts, in others news, fire is hot !

:\

^^^^^

After drinking hard "socially" you were found in a gutter, pants down with a condom in your ass and 50 cents in your hand

:/

It would make more sense if it was "standard drinks" like in Australia, is that similar to the US? Like a light beer (2.5%) is only 0.7 of a standard drink, but a heavy beer (5%) is 1.5 standard drinks. A 700ml bottle of 40% alcohol is 20 standard drinks, many people in Australia (even teenages) consume this (or more) over a week of friday/saturday drinking. If they mean 1 drink = beer/can of premixed spirits ect.. that would be a much large amount (1.5 times).
So if you're downing that much, I wouldn't call you a "heavy social drinker," I'd call you an alcoholic
This is in theory, don't count OD's :) Would a person that buys a very large amount of heroin, and slams it all on friday/saturday night and then continues through the whole week sober only to repeat the process again, an addict?

Alcoholic = alcohol addict, far as I'm concerned. I don't believe you can be an addict using 2 out of the 7 days, just my opinion.

Last edited:
And this comes hot on the heels of the ABC show about exaggerated risks of MDMA usage.

Outlaw alcohol, legalize the MDMA!

wow i never saw myself as an heavy drinker,i go out friday and saturday and drink +/- 13 beers per evening.I know alot of people who do this,here in belgium drinking is almost a national sport.

Last edited:
No drugs are good for you, legal or otherwise.
Even opiates can be good for a person suffering from chronic pain. Reducing the amount of pain a person experiences can add years to their lifespan, and dramatically improve their health.

There are also an entire class of drugs called "nootropics" and another called "Antiaging drugs" which both purport to be solely for the benefit of the user's long term health.

anyhow, the article mentions that these people have an average of 100 drinks a month, as "heavy social drinkers."
I know many people who would qualify by a long ways who would not consider themselves alcoholics. In general these people drink about 12 drinks 4 nights a week and 3 drinks the other 3 nights. These are the same people who used to constantly give me shit for using opiates a couple days a week, or MDMA 4 times a year. The real significance of this is that the Neurotoxicity of MDMA is HUGELY publicized, while still unproven to exist at commonly used doses, while the Neurotoxicity of Alcohol, though long proven is always ignored. Why is this? The alcohol industry spends BILLIONS of dollars per year lobbying the government for various reasons.

http://www.commoncause.org/publications/price/alcohol.htm

Overall alcohol abuse costs society 50 percent more than illicit drug abuse.
Alcohol related deaths outnumber illicit drug related deaths by 4 to 1.
In 1999, the federal government spent $18 billion on illicit drug programs and less than $1 billion on alcohol specific programs.

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/campaign/815/c2alcohol.html

http://www.squall.co.uk/squall.cfm/ses/sq=2001061803/ct=2 !!!
When market analysts reported Ecstasy use in the UK was leading to significant drops in alcohol sales, the drinks industry went strategic. ... behind the scenes battle for drug loyalty.

Yeah, shocking that the Alcoholic Beverage Committee (or some sort of alcohol group) was a main sponsor of the RAVE Act 8)

who mE? said:
There are also an entire class of drugs called "nootropics" and another called "Antiaging drugs" which both purport to be solely for the benefit of the user's long term health.

Studies have shown that various compounds can protect against toxicity of neurotoxic agents

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=7768301

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11226810

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10619665

Last edited:
So, when are they going to site how many people come to the emergency rooms with alcohol related problems? Then compare this with the ecstasy reports. Hmmm, I think someone is lying about the dangers of something.

Drinking causes gout

LONDON, - It’s official -- drinking causes gout. But if you must drink alcohol, drink wine, scientists say.

For centuries, the painful, crippling joint inflammation has been immortalized by poets and playwrights -- more than a few of whom wrote from personal experience -- as the curse of heavy drinkers.

But until a team of researchers from Massachusetts General Hospital took up the task, nobody had actually proved the link between the disease and the bottle.

Beer worse than wine

After analyzing 730 confirmed cases of gout from among a group of 47,000 men over 12 years, the researchers not only demonstrated that drinkers are more likely to get gout, but also that beer is worse and wine is best.

Gout is caused by deposits of crystals of a chemical called uric acid in joints. Alcohol consumption leads to “hyperuricaemia” -- when the body produces too much uric acid.

“Two or three beers per day increased the risk of gout 2.5-fold compared with no beer intake, whereas the same frequency of spirits intake increased the risk by 1.6 times compared with no spirits intake,” said Dr Hyon K Choi of the team. The research was published in the journal The Lancet.

Wine, in moderation, was not a problem. Two small glasses a day caused no increase in gout.

Purine may be to blame

That suggested that something other than the alcohol in the drinks was also playing a role, Choi said.

He said one suspect might be a chemical called purine, which is found in larger quantities in beer than in other alcoholic drinks and could “augment the hyperuricaemic effect of alcohol itself.”

But there are still mysteries for playwrights to ponder.

“Whether there are other risk factors in beer, or protective factors in wine, remains unknown,” Choi said.

link

Brain scans show clear damage, and tests of reading, balance and other function show people who drink more than 100 drinks a month have some problems, the researchers said.

well im fucked :-\