Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

GHB - A Current Affair - Monday 12/04/04

Cowboy Mac

Bluelighter
ACA is doing a story on GHB which will be aired tomorrow, however I don't know too much about it except that Paul Dillon is on it, and it GHB will obviously be portrayed very negatively. I fear that they won't even touch on one of the important issues, which is due to different dilution rates it makes it more dangerous, especially if you do not know about the drugs steep dose response curve. Lets hope its not too sensationalistic and has some harm reduction advice in there. 8(

Will they call it GBH instead of GHB like all the Australian newspapers like to do?

:\

oh god.... ACA.... oh god..... i refuse to watch it as i might vomit on my TV..... This is gonna be BAAAAAAAAD.
They will OBVIOUSLY do no research, make it totally crap and aimed at strict fucked up parents and old people...

*sigh*

at least only those people watch that drivvle that ACA actually air's...

I'm personally not a fan of GHB, never tried it, but seeing an OD recently was a horrible sight.... seeing someone in that state stays with you for a while. However I do accept that there are responsible user out there. It's the same with everyone else on this board that users certain drugs... it's just the OD rate is very minimal and a lot of retard kandy kidz don't respect or even understand what they're doing to themselves.

*EDIT* FoxyKel -- I'll put down $500 they use GBH at least several times :X ... but what are you gonna do.... :\

It makes me want to headbutt the television when that happens... someone at a dinner actually referred to it as GBH and I arked up and went straight for their throat, asking them exactly what they know about the drug and asking how many times they had tried it, before telling them to give up listening to media bullshit and do a little research themselves before sprouting their mouths off.

It provided some for of mild entertainment for the remainder of the dinner guests. I did feel kinda bad when I realised how badly I'd reacted :p

HAHA yeah, reacting like that in front of a bunch of people who aren't drug users is always a bit funny... but in hindsight you realise what you looked like to them. hehe. oh well, hopefully you made some impact ;)

*EDIT* Jesus, typing drunk requires so many edits!!!!!

Actually, on the promos they have called it GHB. It is good to see at least the media has now come around to calling it the correct chemical name.

GHB also knowns as "liquid ecstasy" is the latest designer drug sweeping the suburbs and corrupting our youth.

Paul* is a reformed GHB addict and was first offered GHB at school from a friend. The first hit was free but before he knew it he was hooked, paying up to $800 a day to feed his destructive addiction.
Prostitution and crime funded his GHB use, which at the time seemed to enhance his sporting performance and grades until eventually succumbing to the destructive addictive qualities of this killer chemical.

"every day was a party. Until one day you realise that you have no friends or money and a demon on your back that you simply cannot shake. I thank the Lord for helping me get back on track from this. Do not take this if offered any. I saw hundreds of friends die".

Sadly *Paul's case is not an isolated incident, but a tragic tale replayed in classrooms and playgrounds across Australia.

*not his actual name

wow. anyone can write like A Current Affair.

Doesn't that story sound a little *to* perfect for what they were looking for?
I mean, 'i thank the lord', 'demon on my back'....$800 a day for G........... That's A FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK load of G.....

if i could knock back 4 L of g a day, i would know I was fucked up

[edit:] you should be writing up their segments shnou =\

I'd say Shnouzerpuff was just writing a ficticious blurb to a GHB story and stating it was easy to write one sounding like ACA because they are so full of blanket generalisations and stereotypes. It isn't the actual ACA blurb for the story, but correct me if I'm wrong

Be careful Shnouzerpuff ACA may offer you a job.

The unfortunate thing about ACA is that we need current affairs programs that have the balls to expose the wrongs in our society. The trouble being, more often than not the articles are badly researched and the program or station has an agenda. That agenda is generally sensationalism purely designed to attract more viewers, get the ratings up and therefore earn Mr Packer more dollars.

Shnouzerpuff, you jerk. hahaha. Had me good and proper...
Good job. Are you sure you didn't do any media studies at uni or something???

woo hoo.. for the period of time when i went through ghb like a fiend, and was redosing every two hours, it was costing about, oh, $1.25 a day.. i'd hate to have seen myself once i got up to an $800 a day habit.. either paul was an alien with a metabolism unlike any that of any human or his dealer was ripping him off biiiig time...

edit: crikey, that was convincing.. i should've known that was a bit too far-fetched for even the purposes of mass media..

It was just aired and as suspected it contained very little harm reduction information/advice, and was more a scare campaign to warn people against its use. Paul Dillon was really the only saving grace, however he showed some vials that had been melted by what was called GHB. GHB would not obviously melt plastic like this as it is a salt, it would have been GBL, or more likely 1,4b. Always store your 1,4b in a HDPE container.

The death that was mentioned in the story was a classic case of uneducated drug users who didn't know anything about the drug, and that was their downfall. Factual information about the drug needs to reach the uneducated, and this is a slow and difficult process without a government budget.

Last edited:
ahhh here i ws thinking they had made the whole story without calling it GBH but that cop came on at the end and called it that! Overall I thought it was ok, a little sensationalist and didn't mention analouges etc, but better than I expected for ACA. I think i'll stick to today tonight though, the host on that is hotter than ray :D

I also felt it was better than expected, I was surprised by that.

As you say Cowboy there was very little harm reduction info or advice however I felt the words of warning at the end were on the money