Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Mushie season! melbourne

endlesseulogy

Bluelighter
ill keep it short and sweet... planning on going mushie hunting this year in melbourne.. when and where? im thinking just after it rains around the eastern suburbs?

The whole of the eastern suburbs is infested with them after a solid week of rain.

it sure is. still way to hot.
Word is some guys up in the 'hills' have strated seeing some pop up... but at least a month...

Get an experenced shroomer to take you please! Don't go running around eating anything you find! or you might end up dead!

^^ Yup... My mate ended up on dialysis after eating the wrong mushrooms, and he was with someone who was supposed to be experienced. You know, mycologists usually recommend one not go looking for any type of wild mushroom without a trained mycologist because its just too dangerous.

Pick your Psilocybes! :D

One of these pictures is of P. Subs whereas the other is of Deadly Galerinas... Can you tell the difference? If you intend to go picking mushrooms your life could depend on it...

t_psubaerugsean1234b.jpg

gal4.jpg

those bottom ones be deadly I think.

Actualy your post was a bit of a wake up call as Im not quite sure..... but I thought I was pretty experienced at IDing P. Subs. :X

EDIT: my reason for this is the shape of the bad ones are wrong (no niple on the cap for a start). Also the habitate seems unusual.

So which is it? (and no looking at the img properties :X)

And, if anyone is in any doubt as to the deadliness of the "deadly" galerina:
The toxin contained in Galerina is the same toxin, a-amanitin, contained in the destroying angels, Amanita virosa, A. verna, A. bisporigera, and A. ocreata. It induces exactly the same symptoms: The toxin in Galerina (and in the death angels) is a relatively small protein of eight amino acids, a cyclopeptide called a-amanitin. According to John W. Rippon, Professor Emeritus at the University of Chicago in Medical Mycology, a-amanitin works by slowly attacking the enzyme RNA polymerase. Although RNA polymerase occurs in all body cells, the cells of the liver are particularly affected because the body tries to sequester (and accumulate) toxins in the liver, and those cells are damaged the most. The a-amanitin ultimately affects the central nervous system and kidneys. Unlike many fungal toxins it does not cause symptoms right away. As long as 6-24 hours after ingestion there may be an early feeling of unease, followed by violent cramps and diarrhea. On the third day, there is a remission of symptoms, but this is a false remission. On the 4th to 5th day the enzymes increase, and liver and kidneys are severely affected. Death often follows if a liver transplant or other heroic measures are not performed. There is no cure for ingestion of the poison once it gets this far, but doctors are getting much better at treating the symptoms. This is *not* a mushroom you want to mess around with.

i was origianaly going to say the top ones were P.subs, but i am gonna go with the bottom ones.
This is due to the tops of the 1st pic looking a bit to rounded and no nipple. The gills look correct on the 2nd pic....
It is a bit tougher looking at a pic instead of in your hand...
here's hoping i don't look the fool!!!! 8)
So which are they killa?.... god you're gonna love this if i'm wrong ;)

the bottom ones are galerina, you can tell by the size, distance and color (white) gills.

Yeah, the top one. I would have said the bottom, judging by the picture alone... Personally, I think it's all about the texture of the stem...

But, a relatively fool-proof way to indentify them is to follow the simle Stametesian Rule of Thumb: IF a mushroom bruises blue AND leaves a purple to black spore print then it is probable you have a psilocybe. While there are no known exceptions to this rule DOESN'T MEAN THERE AREN'T ANY! New species of fungii are being found every year, any one of which may be found to go against this rule. Be safe people :)