Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Introducing Friends to MDMA

Bok Bok

Bluelighter
Ok, let's be honest here.. I'd say most people out there on BL have tried MDMA (ecstacy). In fact, I'd say that the fact that you belong to bluelight and post messages up here frequently means you probably enjoy taking MDMA, maybe even quite often.

So what are your opinions in introducing friends to pills? I personally would not have tried MDMA if I hadn't had some degree of pressure put on me by my mates. I was neither here nor there about trying, but once I did, it was like "what have I been doing for the past 20 years?" I am glad I got introduced, even though it's killed the bank balance a little.

Is it right to put a little pressure on your friends to try it? I only ask this because I feel that it is a fantastic thing to try ecstacy, at least a couple of times, and I would love my friends (who are the most important people in the world to me) to experience the euphoria. In hindsight I am quite glad that a little pressure was put on me.

It's not as if I would be introducing them to drugs altogether; they are reasonably heavy drinkers (uni students) and smoke a little weed (again the uni influence), sometimes even indulging in dexies for either study or party. But, for some reason they're not entirely keen on MDMA.

Any opinions guys?

Originally posted by Bok Bok
Is it right to put a little pressure on your friends to try it?

I don't think it is right to pressure someone into a decision, regardless if they will be thankful afterwards. What if they have a bad experience? They will you for pressuring them into it.

A bad experience is the reason why so far I havent been putting pressure on. (not that you can really put serious pressure on any of my mates without a resounding "fuck off").

What i'm trying to say is don't people get the urge to have their good friends experience something that you find to be an absolute blast?

The only bad experience I've had with pills is either a) they don't work or b) they don't work and make me spew.

Comedowns are easily manageable, so if you're with the right people and are looking after each other - I cant see too much downside.

Applying pressure on your friends is not the right way to approach sharing the experience. I think you should provide them with information, and let them decide for themselves.

I would never put pressure on anyone to take drugs. If I knew someone was curious I would help them find information to make an educated decision to whether or not they wanted to or not.

Encouraging someone into drugs for the wrong reasons or so you have someone to go out on the weekends could easily lead to disaster. Someone unprepared for an experience can end up in the worst place on mind altering substances and you might lose more than just a good pill :\

You let them know the facts, the good points and bad points, not to mention the things that could happen later on in life...which no one really knows of at the moment.

Never preasure anyone, ever, because if something bad happens you will get the blame for it.

this is a REALLY touchy issue with me...

introducing people to MDMA could have terrible consequences, for MDMA (like any drug) could quite possibly act as a 'gateway drug'. There are possibly negative lifestyle changes associated with all drugs...

in my opinion, it is wrong to encourage anyone to try a drug (although i can't say i havent done it myself), however i can't see any problem with providing an informed overview of the positives and negatives (in as unbiased a way as possible) of drug use.

I feel like MDMA is one of the greatest gifts I was ever given, but I'm quite cautious about introducing someone to it.

Firstly, no one should be pressured into doing anything, there's nothing wrong with marketing it well and explaining the positives, negatives and possible risks but I always make it clear to someone that it's their decision and their's alone, if there's any doubt then I'd advise them to come back to me when they're ready.

Secondly, there are certain people who I will not introduce to MDMA, I know it's not entirely right of me to be making decisions for other people but this is the way I see it. There are certain people who are just too immature for drugs, like this guy at work who's always asking me to take him out, I don't like him, I think he has the maturity of a five year old and in general he's a dickhead. He might get his hands on a pill eventually, but not around me.

Before I offer to introduce someone to MDMA I ask myself a few questions.
  • Are they mature enough for it; mentally, physically and emotionally?
  • Are they going to be able to keep their lives in context afterwards? This relates specifically to school/work and their finances.
  • Are they just interested because they think drugs are cool? Big NO-NO in my books
  • Are they on any medication or have any existing conditions that could cause problems?
  • Are they accurately and honestly aware of the potential risks involved?

I'm not saying that I have some magical ability to peer into people's future and see how they'll handle trying drugs, or specifically MD, but I think it's easy enough to make a character judgement based on what you know of them. I'll usually have at least one serious interrogation session with someone before I decide.

Once I have a suitable candidate, I introduce them to Bluelight, especially the MDMA FAQ, make sure that they understand fully what they're about to do and that they are doing it for the right reasons. Then we choose a suitable time and place, this depends on the person, but with young people a club or party is a good environment, whereas with older people and especially couples (around 26 years old and older), a home environment is a lot better.

If it's a single person at a party, I'll keep a close eye on them during the night, make sure they're not anxious or worrying about it too much but otherwise, everything usually goes terrific. With couples I'm happy to sit around at the start but will leave them to their own devices (hmm... I wonder what) after an hour or two, having made sure they're okay.

The actual getting them on drugs and home safely is the easy part, I find that spotting potential recruits and explaining everything in detail leading up to the big night is the toughest part of it. I make it sound like getting people into a cult don't I? Hmm... every conversion helps though, just make sure you do it right the first time and they'll be properly trained to look after themselves on future nights out and potentially recruit new members to our club.

You might say I'm taking it to extremes, but having seen a lot of the positives and negatives that go with drug use, I think that introducing drugs into someone's life is a big deal, look at your own experiences, I'm sure most people on this board would agree that taking drugs had a big influence on their lives; for good or bad.

When you think about the potential impact that drugs have on people's lives, then it's reasonable to make sure that it's not a spur-of-the-moment, haphazard decision. Perhaps if we all took this attitude, we could avoid incidents like what went down at Melbourne Two Tribes a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited:
Well I certainly wasnt pressured in to trying mdma, or any thing else for that matter.
I tend to agree with motoman in that if any thing were to go wrong you would be blamed for it. Thats the main reason I never encouraged any of my friends to try mdma, no matter how much I have wanted them to. I have actually tried discouraging some people I know from taking it. Mainly because I feel they are too young and should at least wait till they finish year 12.

I think if you are going to introduce them to MDMA, maybe you should provide the documents where all the HOLE IN YER BRAIN studies got retracted, and how now it is currently being human trialed as medication in Post traumatic stress.

Id also advise doing it in a safe environment, away from a club. A loungroom with plenty of comfortable chairs, cool water, and fruit. With music you all like.

The main reason i take MDMA is for the way music just comes to life, and your brain lives off every single sound.

Id make sure if they ever decided to take it, make sure the MDMA is of a good standard. even if you have to wait MONTHS, it will be worth it.

Remember, things can go wrong..... id advise starting off with HALVES. and waiting atleast 2 hours before re-dosing

The first time i tried it, it took 2 hours to feel ANYTHING.

The first time I tried it, was only because my friend ran out of acid tabs, and being VERY drunk at the time, i just said FUCK IT

and proceded to recieve a lil thin pink pill, with the words.... "Safe sex" on one side, and DUREX, on the other..... well, what can i say....... i will NEVER forget that life changing experience.... for the better!

Last edited:
What Juvenile and hoptis have said are excellent points, they need the maturity & discipline. I know of friends who started pills & raving for that matter during early VCE (yr 11), to not only mess up high school but to lose their whole grip on life temporarily. These guys found that they liked them too much, started dropping every weekend etc. Not to mention, if you introduced a good friend and thing's went bad, you may find that their whole family, girlfriend & other friend's all blame you. Not that this has happened to me, my friends took pills for a long time before i did, i had been smoking weed for years and wondered what all the fuss was about, personally i'm very glad i found out about pills and that my friend's provided excellent advice, but i am one who can generally control myself and ensure all other areas of my life remain in tact.

I know exactly what Bok Bok is talking about, and have been thinking about this exact issue myself.

I too wouldn't have really tried MDMA had a few factors (environment, people and a little nudge from my friends) been right, but I think it was an incredibly valuable step to be made.

Regardless of whether I continue to take MDMA and for how long, I think the experience is incredibly valuable, and one that people should try.

HOWEVER, it is very touchy and difficult to introduce people to it, without sounding pushy or downright dodgy. I know I was so naive about drugs in general (only a few months ago), that anyone trying to convince me that taking an E was alright/a good idea would have turned me right off, and made me think they were a desperate junkie.

Although this is going slightly off track, I think that's half the problem - The media has poisoned/distorted drug use in general (particularly MDMA), that we're taught from a very young age that it's practically the work of the devil, and everything about it, along with anyone that has anything to do with it is BAD.

In my opinion, the best way to give people the opportunity to try it is to rationally and logically explain the pros, cons, etc about MDMA use, along with as many facts/figures/information as possible (thank you Bluelight!), at the same time without trying to sound like an ad for MDMA :)

I'm yet to try this, but I have a few people in mind who I think would enjoy/benefit it, and would like to give them my (newly enlightened) point of view on it all.

I'd be interested in hearing how other people have handled this situation, and to what degrees of success.

Hi people. Just thought i'd put my 2 cents in here.My wife and myself have been enjoying ecstacy now for around 2 years [both in our late 30's]. I myself have found ecstacy to be very helpful, in more ways than 1, eg reuniting with my wife after a 3 year seperation ect ect. I have also felt the need to spread the word so to speak. More to the point, i have this friend who turns 50 next week. Very nice layed back guy, although hes thoughts and attitude i found to be very outdated. From the very first time i had taken E i though how much my friend could benefit from it, so i put it to him, keeping in mind about the dangers ect ect, which i also pointed out to him. He was very hesatent from the start, being and old pot head and acid man from way back, he'd say no no i have been there done that. It took me 2 years of gentle persausion to finally get him to try it. It just seemed that the time was right for him. He turned up 1 afternoon, i set the scene, a cold beer, nice couch, some cool music and a nice cruisy pill [versace] from a month or so ago. I advised him to have a half first, then follow up with the second 30 minutes later. I sat there keeping a watchful eye on him [this guy is very strong willed ] so i felt very comfortable with the whole thing. Then about 40 minutes later i could see that beautiful peaceful feeling engulfing him. All he could say i cant beleive it!! i cant believe it !!! why the fucken hell did'nt you tell me it was like this!!. lol. It only took 2 years!!!!! The upside to all this is that i can see the change in him allready all for the better.He is a responsable guy so i know he'll use it in a wise manner.Peace and love.

I wouldn't pressure them or make slight hints.
If they wanna try it they will (and when they do, u can be there waiting with pill in hand :) )- e just doesnt appeal to some people- no point pushing them.

Hopefully they will see you having the time of your life and want to try it. =D

on a different note, I often wish I was never introduced to the drug (not saying that I don't enjoy using it) but where would I be now if I never had taken it? what would my friendships be like? what would my relationships be like? totally different i'd say..

The way i see it, alot of people havn't tried it as they havn't had the opertunity or the right surroundings.. Some blatently do not want anything to do with it and you shouldn't try forcing drugs down your mates throats.

Before most have the opertunity to try pils, most have already made up their mind if they are going to try or steer clear. So if they seriously want to try and know that you yourself are taking pils every now and then, they'll ask :) I try not to force my drug taking on others... Normaly others get interested by themself's and ask...

Putting pressure on others to take/try drugs is wrong... if they want to try, and they have most proably allready made up their mind years ago just never been around the right people, then they'll ask :)

I can remember when i started... Some chic made a joke about drugs, and i replied "hey thats a cool idea lets go do that"... and daa daaa :) thats how it started... i seaked them out, not the other way around... after that i started going out clubbing more :) and slowly my mates all started to ask and join in... Its now 2 yrs down the track and we're all pritty casual and responsible with our takings...

Dont put pressure on your mates who dont take drugs... they'll seak you out if they want to try...

Good thread guys :)

I don't have much to add because I can't think of any friends I have who aren't into it... If a friend asked for guidance, or to share my experiences I'd definitely do so... But I don't think I'd ever try to convince them to try it.

:)

well, moving away from the whole 'convincing friends' side of things and more towards the moral issues....

i introduced my boyfriend at the time to pills. he is an artist and was kinda naive about the effect of pills. i've been taking them for about 8 years and he is now completely and utterly overwhelmed by the effect that they have had on him.

we are still friends but no longer boyfriend/girlfriend and i'm kinda concerned about it. i don't know if we're friends still because of me, or because i introduced him to a world which is so different from anything he has ever imagined.

interesting dilemma. i'm interested in your views......

^^Hrm from a guys perspective I wouldn't really say that staying friends with an ex would come down to the fact that he/she introduced me to drugs. But ur ex may be a totally different person for all i know.
Does he usual roll by himself? or does he not mind doing it with you?
If it is the latter than im sure that he is still friends with u because of u and not due to the fact that u introduced him to MDMA.

Back to topic...I think if your friends are a bit turned off by E and what it does to them then maybe give them a little educational session, like others have said. Inform them thouroughly first and if they still are not interested then don't force them into doing anything. Im sure if they are keen then you would be the first person they'd come to seeking their first MDMA experience.

It is also possible that since they are not very familiar and informed about MDMA, they would be a bit wary of trying it out. I know i was totally against doing anything of the kind back in the days...I told myself that I'd only ever do pot and alcohol...haha heard many people say this back in high school as well. Funny how everyone turned out though =)
Tho after a seeing what the effects were like on friends and getting those stories told to you about how "its the bestest feeling in the world", "absolutely pisses on pot and alcohol etc"
Only then I was a bit more curious about pills. So maybe if your friends were kinda exposed to more people who were on E, there might be a slight possibility they would become curious. Then again if they were around some of the E-tards out there then maybe they wouldn't get the right impression. Anyways thats my 2 cents

Remember yall PLUR!!
Sharing is caring.
=D =D