What is REAL addiction really like?

dimitri9

Bluelighter
Hey... I never tried an physically addictive drug.. and i dont plan to.. but I wonder what it REALLY is like... how much does it twist your life.. and is it really so hard to stop???

This is such a vague question.

Physical withdrawl symptoms vary from the drug you are using (benzos, opioids, alcohol, ketamine, etc.). How much does it twist your life? This also varies from person to person. The mental addiction is much worse than the physical withdrawls for certain drugs (i.e. opioids).

Could you be more specific with your question?

It's everything you've heard and worse. Addiction is the epitome of all that it bad.

I never knew what addiction was until I was fiending hardcore for meth. I couldn't pull my attention off the pipe, and I was absolutely furious at the guy not passing it. I still dream of doing meth, it's on my mind every single night.

The real addiction, is when regardless if you doit. its on your mind.. its always on your mind. its an obsession. your body needs it, your mind needs it..
you can get by without it........... but.
wouldnt it be nice if you had it.......repeated thoughts. it will never end.

you do not want to know about addiction. simply avoid it if you worry :)

Oh god, you cant even idmangine.. Physical and mental addiction are 2 WAAAY diffrent things though. I thought my addiction to crystal meth was bad, until i got a serious case of a Heroin adiction. Fuck.. i wasnt prepaired for my world to be shaken and flipped upside down. Everything has changed, my life will never EVER be the same.

Its so fucking hard to get though, you need to be high every second, or else you feel like shit. you get sick, your muscles feel as if they are ripping off your bones, and your bones feel as if they have been set on fire, from the inside out. your arms and your legs hurt so bad you cant sleep, you cant eat, your heart is beating out of control, you cant breathe, your sick to your stomach and you have cravings so bad you wish you could just kill yourself. your life becomes pain and desperation.

But words cannot describe..

Its good you dont know, and i hope you keep it that way.

when you make a pact with opiates,you lose your heart,you lose your mind and most heartbreaking of all...you lose your soul.

karloff123 said:
when you make a pact with opiates,you lose your heart,you lose your mind and most heartbreaking of all...you lose your soul.

Couldnt have said it better myself...

my pact with heroin turned the spunky girl i knew into a soul less, blank eyed blob that wondered the streets alone. I had no heart anylonger and my thoughts were nothing but dreams of drugs.

its bloody hell. and the sad this is i know one day i will go back.

^^just put your mind to it and you wont ever have to go back, put it in the past bro/sis

I can describe polysubstance addiction well - imagine your brain trying to trick you into getting ahold of any substance possible from the tiem yiou wake up to the time you go to bed. Not fun.

for me at least its constnatly thinking about getting off and then when you get off, thinking about how you can get off even more. its feeling like shit mentally and physically, but not caring because you know that when you get off it will be ok. you never think about how shitty your going to feel after when your doing it. its like all you care is about is your substance of choice.

addiction is making sure your nostrils are snot-free 6hours before your coke deal :)

This is my experienc with opiate addiction.

You are blind to it for the most part, even if you know you are an addict.

You spend 90% of your day thinking about getting that drug, and then if you are lucky, you get high and are allowed a few moments of gracious mental clarity, in which you pretty much funtion like a normal person.

If you are lucky, you have enough financial income to support your habit, but after awhile, you habit will most likely overcome your income. At this point, many people begin to lie, cheat, steal, and manipulate their own and other lives to get the drug.. This doesnt mean whoring yourself, or robbing stereo equipment, but it can come to that.. Usually you live your life full of risk, driving ungodly distances to score, risking getting caught rummaging thru peoples pills, loaning and pawning your shit, and making all sorts of false promises.

Sacrificing any healthy relationship with your parents, nonaddict and addict friends, and romances for whichever chemical gets your endorphins back into place for a few hours.

The magic comes in when you realise your life is out of control, that you are a totally different person, and that you can never be normal like others, sober and addicted. And you still continue to use. You keep going cuz the drugs you started using habitually to fill whatever void in your life has only dug and scraped it out, leaving it bigger than when you started. Nothing now works, but the drug. The drug has rewired your brain and body to the point where, like food, water, and air, you need it to feel ok. Without the drug, you become dull, lifeless, depressed, sick(if on opiates), and this whole resentment for life fucking you over comes about. So you use to make that feeling go away as well.

As far as phsyical addiction.. That is half the battle. Pretty much, you can keep getting high and living in a happy, but total fantasy world, or you can quit, get sick with what feels like mono, food poisoning, and severe depression, knowing the whole time that you could be cured in 1 minute with $20.

IMO, alot of people fall into this idea that addiction is glamorous, because it is part of some rebellious counterculture.. Truley, it is just a sign that someone is sick in the head, and are using the only way out they can find. The nature of the drug, and the drugs withdrawls leaves you so apathetic that you can no longer imagine any other options that could maybe make you feel better.

All of this is what I have found to be the case with 75% of true opiate addicts, not casual users. Then there are always exceptions.. Most people begin using thinking that they will be the exception, but almost all the time, tehy are completely consumed, and only realise it when its too late.. Kinda like me!! :)

Opiates are like a Pandora's Box.. Beautiful packaging that makes it seem crazy not to mess with, but once opened, things are unleased that can never be put back into their place.

Last edited:
Taken from Layne Staley's last interview, a few weeks before he died, overdosing on a speedball. Layne was the front man for Alice in Chains, a band that started off by glamourizing heroin, but loathing it by the end of their career.

The conversation took place less than three months before Staley died from an overdose of heroin and cocaine ("Layne Staley Died From Mix Of Heroin, Cocaine, Report Says"), and revealed a broken 34-year-old who had given up the will to live.

"I know I'm dying," he rasped through missing teeth. "I'm not doing well. Don't try to talk about this to my sister Liz. She will know it sooner or later."

Staley, suffering from fever and nausea, told Rubio that his need for heroin was all-consuming, even though the effects of the drug were no longer enjoyable. He added that smack had completely ravaged his system and left him empty and filled with regrets.

"This fucking drug use is like the insulin a diabetic needs to survive," he said. "I'm not using drugs to get high like many people think. I know I made a big mistake when I started using this shit. It's a very difficult thing to explain. My liver is not functioning and I'm throwing up all the time and shitting my pants. The pain is more than you can handle. It's the worst pain in the world. Dope sick hurts the entire body."

"I know I'm near death," he said. "I did crack and heroin for years. I never wanted to end my life this way. I know I have no chance. It's too late. I never wanted [the public's] thumbs' up about this fucking drug use. Don't try to contact any AIC (Alice in Chains) members. They are not my friends."

His dad had gotten him into heroin. His bandmate of almost a decade, Jerry Cantrell, did not attend the funeral. This drug has the ability to totally change who you are.

silverfucked = god. Great report !! Made me feel it actually and allowed me to enter addict's mind.

Silverfucked...that was brilliant.....addiction was never explained more powerfully or honestly