Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Ephedra

ihaq4weed

Bluelighter
i got some ephedra at a rave a month ago. it says that it is Ephedra sinensis. i couldnt find any information on erowid about this species. It says on the container "Product of China".

http://www.erowid.org/plants/ephedra/ephedra.shtml

what i want to know is does E. sinensis contain ephedrine or just pseudoephedrine like E. nevadensis ? or have they fucked up and ment to write Ephedra sinica ?

It says on the container "Product of China".

ihaq4weed

Ephedra sinensis (Ma Huang, Chinese Ephedra)

Botanical information
An evergreen shrub, it grows to a height of 1m with a sperad of up to3m; the stem is slender, erect, grooved, green and branching; the leaves are smalll, scale-like, articulate, and sheathing at each joint; a dioecious plant, the male flowers have prominent, yellow pollen sacks; the cones are succulent and contain two carpels, with a single seed in each.
A native of_ China and the Himalayas, it prefers stony slopes and gravel terraces in drier areas of the Himalayas, in an open, sunny position, and is drought and frost resistant. It is very similar to Ephedra gerardiana in it's botany and in it's pharmacology and uses.
Propagation is by seed.

Traditional uses
Ephedra sinensis is one of the ephedrine containing ephedras and has long been used in chinese and middle-eastern medicine. It was treasured for treating allergy, asthma, cold, cough, diarrhea, fevers, hayfever, headache, malaria, and rheumatism. Infusions prevented low blood pressure in flu and pneumonia. Ephedrine was popular in western medicine until a few years ago, when authorities realised that it was illegally being used to manufacture amphetamines. It's use was widespread as a 'quick-fix' for colds and flu, as a stay-alert for truck drivers and shift workers, and in excessive amounts as a stimulant in recreational drug use. The use of pseudoephedrine in cold remedies is regarded as safer, as it has a lesser effect on bloodpressure, the main health concern with ephedrine consumption. The total crude alkaloid extract of ephedra (containing ephedrine and pseudoephedrine) has been shown to be more effective in treating cold and flu symptoms than the equivalent combination of synthetic ephedrine and pseudoephedrine. Ephedrine is a "TGA - Schedule 9" (same as heroin!!!) drug in Australia, but a herb dealer charged with distributing Ephedra herb on the basis of its ephedrine content was aquitted by the magistrate, indicating that the sale of Ephedra herb is legal in NSW. It is however a customs prohibited import. Many countries are scheduling ephedrine and ephedra products, but many find their new laws challenged, ending in a confusing legal mess. Make sure you have up to date information on your local legislation before ordering any ephedra products.

Pharmacology
Ephedra gerardiana is a high yielding source of Ephedrine, which is extracted fom the green branches with a high total alkaloid content between 0.5% and 1.0%. Total alkaloids are made up of about half ephedrine and the rest pseudoephedrine, N-methylephedrine, norephedrine and related compounds. Ephedrine acts like adrenaline, but is orally active. Ephedra herb varies greatly in quality as the drying process is difficult and can eliminate almost all of the ephedrine from the final product before it reaches market. The ephedrine in ephedra is destroyed by heat, and drying is usually done at ambient temperature, in the dark and at low humidity, and may take several weeks. Alkaloid levels in the plant also vary greatly and are the lowest after rain.

Taken from a website that may be classed as a source. Not too sure whether to post a link or not.

^^ If it's a source for anything other than harm reduction gear don't post it :)

Damb I dont think this can be purchesed legally anywhere in australia,
I wanted to get some for weight loss but it is a banned substance..
Why dose America get to have all the fun???

im not going to post any sources but it is possible to buy ephedra plant species and ephedra foliage in australia if you search the web. Not sure of exact legal status. It is some foul tasting shit though

Pentacle_star said:
Damb I dont think this can be purchesed legally anywhere in australia,
I wanted to get some for weight loss but it is a banned substance..
Why dose America get to have all the fun???

Actually ephedra is now banned in the US as well.

Whereabouts in the wolrd is it legal then? i know indonesia cause of all the posts saying you can buy it legally in bali but thats about t

I got some ephedra at a folk festival stall in NSW a year ago. It had "NFC: used as incense" on the label though ;)

I also got pepper extract at the same place (not sure if it's still legal in NSW)... IMHO ephedra was the better value for money - it was way cheaper & I thought it made a reasonable tasting cup of tea...

it can be bought in sydney....

and yes, it tastes like ass....

I just tried it for a 'legal' alternative. I don't think the quantities available (i think it was ~20grams of dried stem) would have been sufficient to make speed though. Maybe if you were growing it and had a huge supply??? As for the taste, ok... i did kind of brew it up (at a low temperature) with cardamon, cinnamon and cloves - sort of like a chai mix. It still leaves your mouth pretty dry though.