Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Cleaning a nitrous syphon

Doooofus

Bluelighter
Hey all, just wondering what would be a safe technique to use to clean out a syphon used for inhaling nitrous. I'm assuming the thing has got mould and bacteria inside it as it has not been used for a while... Any safe chemicals/cleaners you could recommend?? Technically, it's a soda syphon, but I'm going to use it for nitrous.

Thanks!
Doooofus

I have just used warm soapy water to clean mine. Not sure how well it worked, but the nitrous tastes ok.

Just unscrew the top, pull out the straw thing with the rubber seal on top, then pull out the plastic sleave.

I am sure you could use that 'Bong bath' product that is used to clean your bong. Just make sure you rince your syphon well afterwards.

The danger in using a soda syphon, and second hand soda syphons especially is that they are usually made of glass which can shatter under the pressure of the nitrous oxide released into it. It is much safer to buy a whipped cream dispenser as these are made of metal and there is no danger of exploding glass near your face when you are using it. The best way to clean them is to hand wash the inside of them with dish washing detergent like you would normal dishes, dry inside and out with a tea-towel, and then lubricate the rubber o-ring seal with vaseline to prevent it from becoming dry and cracking. This will provide a tight seal that will not let the nitrous escape. You can buy used whipped cream dispensers from op shops for as little as $10, just make sure all the parts are there and the o-ring is in good condition. It is an unnecessary risk to use a glass syphon.

My syphon is metal anyway, nice and sturdy. Exactly the same design as a regular whipped cream dispender, but with a few modifications. A prime $10 bargain off the net :D. Thanks for the tips guys - I've also been told to put a little bit of rice in with the mix to help scour the walls, and to use a listerine/water solution. Clean syphon here we come!!

Cowboy Mac, every soda syphon that i have bought from op-shops have been metal. But most have been missing the winders :X, which really annoys me. I will not pay over $4 for one from an op-shop. Good idea on the vasoline though.

Doooofus, i think you will find that the syphon will be fairly clean anyway. To determine if it's lean, open it and smell it. If it smells funky, clean well.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the soda syphons are designed for a slightly lower pressure then the cream dispensors, so do be careful.

And besides the cream dispensor nozzle points up which makes it so much easy once your've had a few.

shorza said:
I am sure you could use that 'Bong bath' product that is used to clean your bong. Just make sure you rince your syphon well afterwards.

been menaing to ask about this. i bourght this product from Off Ya Tree in Brisbane and it works fucking kickarse. only problem is it goes so fast and costs $8 a bottle. anyone know a dosmestic cleaning product that would work just as well ???

There's a thread on bong cleaning somewhere. If I wasn't so much of a stoner I would look it up for you.

Success!

I gave my syphon a clean today, came up great. Used a warm water and listerine mixture, with a handful of rice thrown in. Shook it like crazy for 5 mins, then rinsed with warm water over and over. Listerine didn't leave behind too much of a smell either which is good. So now I can be sure my next bulb will be hygenically fresh :D. Now I just have to lube up my O-ring (8o hahaha) and everything'll be sweet!!

Also, are all the parts in the soda syphon necessary for normal charging/discharging of N2O? I have removed the little inside plastic sleeve and the straw that goes down to the bottom.... will the bulb still work properly?

Doooofus

i dont think u need the straw cos thats probly for gettin liquid out and its ges ur using (duh ;) )

dunno about any plastic sleeve...what was it a sleeve around if u get what i mean?

Re: Success!

Doooofus said:
So now I can be sure my next bulb will be hygenically fresh :D. Now I just have to lube up my O-ring (8o hahaha) and everything'll be sweet!!
Until you let someone else go a bulb from your dispenser! *germs*:) If you are really worried about hygiene, you'll keep your dispenser to yourself!

Re: Re: Success!

superbabydoc said:
If you are really worried about hygiene, you'll keep your dispenser to yourself!

Spoken like a true bulb whore!!
Not that I'm saying you are.

syntech said:
i dont think u need the straw cos thats probly for gettin liquid out and its ges ur using (duh ;) )

dunno about any plastic sleeve...what was it a sleeve around if u get what i mean?

I don't think you need the straw, but you still might need the rubber bit at the top of it. It might be needed for sealing purposes. I leave mine in anyway.

The plastic sleeve is right under the rubber bit (which is connected to the straw). If you open your syphon up and pull out the rubber bit (and straw), then put your finger in the hole and you will be feeling the sleeve.

I dont think the sleeve is all that important in the operation of the syphon.

Yeh that's the sleeve I'm talking about... I'm thinking it might be important - I had a few bulbs the other day and the syphon wasn't holding charge properly. It was escaping from where the bulb gets punctured though so I'm not quite sure what the problem is. Might just buy a new one!
Doooofus