• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

"Allah" is the SAME as the Christian "God"

Mahan Atma

Bluelighter
This point popped up in a discussion in Current Events and Politics, and I thought I'd raise it here.

A lot of American Christians seem to think that somehow, the god "Allah" (typically the word used by Muslims for God) is somehow a "different god" than the Christian "God".

This is simply not true. They're the same god. The name "Allah" is just the Arabic name for "God". This is evidenced by the fact that Christian Arabs ALSO call God "Allah".

Now, I grant you, anybody can claim that the person god that they themselves worship is somehow different than the god that someone else worships. But if the historical and social context is to be considered at all, one can only come to the conclusion that historically, the two religions are worshipping the same god.

If I recall, it goes all the way back to the sons of Abraham (Isaac and Ismael), both of whom are mentioned in the Christian Old Testament as well as Islamic texts.

People will always think that "my god is better than your god..."

This isnt a my God is bigger than your god thing at all...for you to say that shows your ignorance of the subject.

MA: Great topic! :) before i even start with the links and mounds of evidence and verses and all that good fun stuff, i just want to take a moment and say a few things.

First, when you say "Christian God", remember that our God is the Holy Trinity of the Father Son and Holy Spirit. Jesus IS God, so in that sense it is plainly obvious that Allah and Jesus are not the same. But what you are talking about is God the Father is the same God as Allah. I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing here, so we arent confused. Jesus CERTAINLY cant be confused with Allah nor can the Holy Spirit be confused with Allah. So 2 out of the 3 in the Holy Trinity is unarguably NOT Allah. Which in itself proves that they are not the same God. BUT, God the Father is where to confusion may be at...We can only use history and Biblical and Koran text for the basis of this dicsussion, for that is where we get all our info anyway.

Yes you are correct in that this all goes back to the story of Issac and Ishmael, both sons of Abraham. One from his maid (Hagaar) and the other from his wife Sara (later renamed Sarah). Sarah bore Isaac near the age of 100, but prior to that she wanted Abram (who was later named Abraham) to have a child so she had him sleep with the maid, and that child was Ishmael.

Long story short, Chrisitans/Jews beleive that God blessed Isaac who then had Jacob (who God later named Israel), Jacob ahd 12 sons and they were the 12 tribes of Israel (Jacob). The Jews are a people who were the decendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, God name them Israel.

The other story goes that God blessed Ishmael and his decendants are the true decendants of the one and only God--Allah. the decendants of Ishamel and Isaac did NOT like each other as we all know to this very day.

So your question really is, is Jehova (Father) the same as Allah? I say absolutely not! Now i will go ahead and post evidence to prove my view. I am looking forward to see your evidence other than "This is evidenced by the fact that Christian Arabs ALSO call God "Allah"." that HARDLY proves anything MA, you know that.

To be continued....

the more tollerent religions teach that god delivered messages and choose manifestations of himself in the places most needed to hear his teachings at that time.

you had moses, then jesus, then mohammid, then... and the list goes on.

so though the message differed somewhat per region, each teaching revealed a little bit more of the message as humans were more prepared to here the message. if you look at the ten commandments given to moses, all the religions carry the same essential message.

i'm not sure if there is only ONE god, but i do hold the belief that all the central religions pray to that same god, and that he listens, whether your a praying muslim, jew, catholic...

SoHiAllTheTime said:
This isnt a my God is bigger than your god thing at all...for you to say that shows your ignorance of the subject.

actually for many people it is... most people are ignorant on the subject... your average christians, your average atheists, and even me up until reading your post... so for most people it is two ignorant sides arguing over a subject they know nothing about...

so the real reason why people think that the two gods are completely different is not born from educated understandings of both religions, but of sheer ignorance... whether they are right or not is irrelevant, since very few actually understand the depth of the topic...

Muslims recognise both Jesus and Moses as prophets of God (Allah). So, in a sense, it is true that Christians, Muslims, and Jews worship the same deity.

On the other hand, however, each religion views the nature of 'god' in a very different light. Come to think of it, 'god' is a very empty word. It doesn't neccesarily imply anything in particular. Some see 'god' as being an old white guy sitting up in heaven, others see 'god' as being some sort of amorphous energy force. All three religions depend on particular interpretations of their holy books to define and give meaning to who 'god' really is. Depending on how one interprets their religion, 'god' can be vengeful or merciful, accepting or descriminating, violent or compassionate, etc etc.

So because Jews, Christians, and Muslims each characterize the concept of 'god' in a different form, they don't really beleive in the same god.

^ You have a couple good points there...But please remember, they recognize Jesus as a prophet and we recognize Him as God. That is equal to God, part of God, God manifest. BIG DIFFERENCE!

I've realized why conversations regarding `god' never get anywhere: it's an empty word. For some god merely means `the ultimate, whatever that is', for others it means `everything that is', for others it means `only that which is good' or `the best', for others it means `the creator'. The word has so many associations with it that it has become basically meaningless. Some word like this that has no concrete set defintion can be argued because it's meaning can change during the course of a conversation, making it immune to true analysis and impossible to argue against.

Everyone who believes in (a) god characterizes it in a different form; the word `god' can change meaning, as a matter of fact, during the course of a single conversation with a single monotheist. So to say that all gods are the same or all gods are different is to miss the point: the word `god' is essentially meaningless.

^thats all fine and dandy, but this topic is pretty specific. God in the topic does has specific meaning given to us through scritpure. We are debating something very specific so therefore what you said is all true, but does not apply to this topic. :)

it makes perfect sense to me, mahan, in that you've got judaism (the "first" religion), christianity (an extension of judaism), and islam (an extension of christianity).

jesus was recognized as being born and living life, but jews don't acknowledge him as being the son of god. christianity believes he was killed and later resurrected, therefore being the son of god. islam states that jesus was a prophet, as was mohammed, but that neither of them were god....as there is only one god.

what each of them call "god", is derived from the regional language.

i dunno. either i just didn't care enough about it when i was younger or what, but i always separated god from jesus. jesus was a person (who i don't believe came back from the dead - am i going to "hell", sohi? ;)), god (which again, i don't believe in, but for the sake of argument) is a spiritual being, not physical. therefore.....god/yahweh/jehovah/allah....are the same being with different names.

SoHiAllTheTime:

Thanks. And uh, no, my argument most certainly applies to topic. The argument in the first post is that what people see as two gods are actually one because of identicle historical roots; I say that's irrelevant because even within one religion today no two people have the same concept of `god', regardless of historical roots. Many religions worship `the god' in the bible, but have different (and ultimately vague) ideas as to the nature of god, the purpose of god, the character of god, the name of god, the desires of god, the demands of god. In a conversation with a student of a particular religion, contradictory defintions of god are often used to `prove' his existence. So from the same `roots' in the same historical manure, different god-concepts bud. From the same roots in the same religious soil, different ideas of god bud. The only likeness that all monotheistic god-concepts seem to have is that they are shape-shifting and forever vague, their shapes shifting in accordence with the needs of the believer and therefore immune to analysis. History and religion are irrelevant.

SoHiAllTheTime said:
So your question really is, is Jehova (Father) the same as Allah? I say absolutely not! Now i will go ahead and post evidence to prove my view.

OK, I look forward to seeing your evidence.

I have evidence too. Exhibit A is a Muslim who tells me that he's worshipping your God. Are you trying to tell him who he worships? He might take issue with that.

This isnt a my God is bigger than your god thing at all
The other story goes that God blessed Ishmael and his decendants are the true decendants of the one and only God
so it's not a "my god has a bigger dick than yours" thing,
it a "my people have a bigger dick than yours" thing, right?

the 3 main monotheistic religions were one and believed in a same unique god.

but like faris said, disagreements appeared in time and they split into different religions that looked up to different fairy tales (tora, coran, bible)
the difference between jews, muslims and christians is of the same nature as the difference between catholics and protestants.

but the geographic and linguistic differences made the believers forget about the common root of monotheism, so that a post on BL makes them today realize that their god is the allah they despise.

before the flaming starts i explain the last sentence : i imagine very well a christian saying "my god is not allah. my god would never want women to be oppressed".
well, it just happens that both you and the muslims are worshipping a same and unique "god" who never gave his opinion about anything. so humans have been imagining what would please him or suit them. and some of them decided women should go entirely covered while others decided you should give all your money to them

Last edited:
IIf they're not the same god then all this whole monotheism idea must be false, after all you can't have multiple gods in a "one god" system

I'm sure his evidence is verses implying that Jesus is God and therefore since the Muslims don't believe that Jesus is God, but a prophet, that therefore it is not the same God.

But he would be wrong if that what he is implying. First, of all the Jews don't believe that Jesus is God. Would their God not be the same God (Father) as you either then?

Second of all before Ishemal's children all came back together under the prophet Muhammand they were still Muslim. The Muslim nation was created when God told Isacc in Genesis 21 "I will make the son of the maidservant into a nation (religion) also because he is your offspring." Yes, inheritance was given unto Sarah's son even though Abraham didn't have faith in God when he was told that he would get Sarah pregnant thus impregnating his concubine. Since Sarah was his wife any child she had would of superceeded a concubines child by law. But when Abraham was sad for sending off his son he knew for ten years before Isacc God told him not to worry and that Isacc would also be a way. God did not say He would no longer be God of Ab's other child, He said He would make a new religion , a new way.

When Hagar was cast away and her water went dry in the desert she put her child by some bushes and planned to abandoned him. But then she began to cry after she heard her son crying and God said to Hagar "what is the matter? don't be afraid. I have heard the boy crying. lift him up by his hands and don't worry. I will make him into a great nation."

In verse 21:20 it says "God was with the boy as he grew up."

Sounds like the same Father God to me.

Now what is your way Sohi? it's Jesus. What is their way through? Muhammand. Who is the Father of both ways? Jehovah= God...Jehovah= Allah. Abraham called God Jehovah.

And i know Sohi has already heard this verse from me explained and he doesn't like it but i think it applies nicey here. (and i am just going to cut and paste it from that thread since it's long.:

Jesus says "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." I think that you again have to look at the entire surrounding content of this and you'll find it interesting.He then says " If you really knew Me, you would know My Father as well. From now on, you do know Him and have seen Him."(John 14:6) This to me is Jesus pointing out that He who has seen Jesus has seen God and he who knows Jesus knows God the Father, for God His Father is in Him, and speaks through Him.Not that He is God and this is one of the only verses Christains can site for saying that Jesus was God. I think He had a very buddhist approach to life myself. He is saying He is a WAY. Are there not a few correct ways to get to your house? You have to follow a certain course to an extent, but usually everyone arrives from a slighty different correct way depending on where they are. ditto for God.

But what i'm really getting at about this passage is the content of the verse above it in John 14:2.It actually explains that whole passage christains love to grab and quote out of context. Jesus says ""In my Father's house are many mansions (dwelling places); if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a mansion for you."

The Koran touches on this verse of Jesus' too. They consider Jesus a teacher and messenger. The Koran teaches that God sends out different messengers to reach all the nations.Muhammund was the last prophet that sealed all of them according to the Koran. They use this Bible passage to explain that Jesus is a messenger for some. Jesus is saying that there are many religions in heaven with these passages and He has ONE of those mansions to prepare for His people. He is ONE way to A mansion. The other mansions are for the other nations & tribes and the law of God they followed.Jesus is only preparing one. Jesus is telling us not to concern ourselves with them, that He is for us (or for those to whom He was speaking to or hear Him).

So upon examining all the passages in order He is basically saying that there are many different religions and He is a way.

Here are some verses of the Koran which i find interesting on messengers for every tribe and nation (cut and pasted ) :

"Verily!, We have sent you (O Muhammad) with the Truth, a bearer of glad tidings and a warner. And there has not been a nation except a warner had passed among them" The noble Qur'an, Fatir(35):24

"And verily, We have sent among every nation a messenger (proclaiming): Worship Allah (alone) and avoid all false dieties." The noble Qur'an, Al-Nahil(16):36

"Verily, We have inspired you [O Muhammad] as We inspired Noah and the Prophets after him; and We inspired Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, the sons of Jacob, Jesus, Job, Jonah, Aaron, and Solomon. And to David We gave the Psalms. And messengers We have mentioned to you before, and messengers We have not mentioned to you. And to Moses Allah spoke directly. Messengers bringing glad tidings and warnings in order that mankind shall have no plea against Allah after the Messengers. And Allah is ever All-Powerful, All-Wise" The noble Qur'an, Al-Nissa(4):163-165

"On the day [of judgment] when We shall call all humans with their [respective] Imams (prophets or books)" The noble Qur'an, Al-Israa(17):71

"How [will it be] then, when We bring from each nation a witness [for or against them], and we bring you [O Muhammad] as a witness over these people?" The noble Qur'an, Al-Nissa(4):41

"and the earth shone [on the day of judgment] with the light of its Lord, and the book was placed [open], and the prophets and the witnesses were brought forth, and they were judged between them with Truth, and they are not wronged" The noble Qur'an, Al-Zumar(39):69

"And [remember] the day [of judgment] when We shall send forth in every nation a witness upon them from among themselves, and We shall bring you [O Muhammad] as a witness over these [people]. And We have sent down upon you the Book (the Qur'an), as an exposition of all things, a guidance, a mercy, and glad tidings for those who submitted themselves " The noble Qur'an, Al-Nahil(16):89

~~~~~ but different Fathers? No.

that other thread i cut that from:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1163028#post1163028

Beanergrl: I didnt reall all of your post, yet. But just so you know i am not going to turn this thread into a debate about scripture, we have already had that thread. (i am referring to your passages about Jesus being God or not, that is a whole different topic) You have gotten way ahead of yourself in assuming what i am going to write.

And you are right, Jews and Christians do not believe in the same God. I dont believe Jews go to heaven when they die, unless they have faith in Christ. Same goes with muslims.

I will post a lot more tomorrow.

^^ no, you believe that they don't believe in the same God. there are millions of christains who understand they do.
you are saying they all have different Fathers. back this up please because the Bible says otherwise.

if you don't want it to be a debate about scripture then what are you basing your "facts" on?

And you are right, Jews and Christians do not believe in the same God. I dont believe Jews go to heaven when they die, unless they have faith in Christ. Same goes with muslims.

Who got into heaven before Christ arrived? And what happened to the souls of the many millions of the earths inhabitants who died without ever even hearing Christ's name?

after all you said:

SoHiAllTheTime said:
, but this topic is pretty specific. God in the topic does has specific meaning given to us through scritpure. We are debating something very specific so therefore.....

i showed you scripture connecting them all. now you show me scripture that says that they have different Fathers.