• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Feds Want Ability to Wiretap VoIP -- DEA Included, Naturally

BA

Bluelight Crew
The Justice Department, the FBI, and the DEA have all signed a letter to the Federal Communications Commission asking it to order companies that offer Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) telephone services to reengineer their networks so law enforcement has the ability to overhear subscribers' conversations. Without those rules, the agencies warned in the letter delivered to the FCC in December, "criminals, terrorists, and spies (could) use VoIP services to avoid lawfully authorized surveillance."

VoIP offers telephone service through the Internet and bypasses regular phone company networks. Companies such as Vonage and Skype have stirred the telephony world by offering low, set-price long distance service, and the big telephone companies are now beginning to enter the competition. But the more consumers turn to VoIP, the more telephone conversations slip out of the grasp of would-be government wiretappers.

While the Justice Department prefers for political reasons to paint the request -- and legions of other post-911 encroachments on privacy -- as part of the war on terrorism, if VoIP wiretaps run in similar patterns to regular wiretaps, then the main target is not terrorists but drug scofflaws. In 2002, the last year for which information is available, law enforcement listened to nearly 2.2 million phone conversations under court-approved wiretaps. More than 80% of them were related to drug investigations, according to the Administrative Office of the US Courts.

The question the FCC must ponder is whether VoIP falls within the mandate of the 1994 Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA). That law, a legacy of the Clinton administration -- the imperatives of the security state being a bipartisan endeavor -- requires "telecommunications carriers" but not "information services" to provide ready wiretapping access. If the FCC rules against the feds, they could then appeal to Congress to rewrite the law.

But it's probably all for naught, anyway, said Jim Harper of the privacy advocacy web site Privacilla.org. "The FCC should ignore pleas about national security and sophisticated criminals because sophisticated parties will use noncompliant VoIP, available open source and offshore," he told CNet News. "CALEA for VoIP will only be good for busting small-time bookies, small-time potheads and other nincompoops."

link
1-16-04

bullshit... i love how the bill of rights is slowly being stripped away, word by word...
BAH!

Here comes Nazi Germany..
Bush can eat the peanuts out of my feces.

It never ends......I'll say what I always say.
Thank FUCKING GOD I do NOT live in the oh so freedom filled USofA.

I'm currently visiting the states from Australia, i saw this sign "There's only 1 USA" and i thought to myself 'thank fucking god'

in the united states of america

you are free to do as you are told

you are our bitch

just pay your taxes and shut up

The Justice Department, the FBI, and the DEA have all signed a letter to the Federal Communications Commission asking it to order companies that offer Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) telephone services to reengineer their networks so law enforcement has the ability to overhear subscribers' conversations.
I'm actually astounded that the NSA and CIA can't listen in already. And after all, this request only affects american companies. If they're serious about listening in to terrorists they'll just have to crack the networks without reengineering.

That is one pricey solution 8(
Anyone down to buy me a belated christmas/bday present?

Last edited:
It's pricy but it sells well. Some people are have businesses that they do NOT want the authorities to listen in to, and these phones are the best on the market and (at this moment) absolutely impossible to 'crack' by the police, DEA or whoever.

The Dutch authorities were not amused when this technology hit the market.

amusing

It bothers me that our liberties are being slowly stripped away, but what bothers me even more is that the general population is so ignorant to believe that all of this is being done for their own good. People always clamour for security... blah, blah, blah - until it affects their own lives. Common sense is slowly dissapearing from the ruin of regular life. This will do nothing other than bust some small time criminals who are not smart enough to use more secure modes of telecom.

You know your in a bad situation when the three people running your country go by the name of Bush, Dick and Colon.