• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

'Natural' highs - sex, pain, fasting, trance....

ginisfluff

Bluelighter
Sorry if this has been covered before and I've missed it....

Was watching a Tv program today about celibacy and the catholic church and its got me thinking............

There are tons of christens and spiritual peoples that will try telling you stuff like "you can get higher on gods love than you can with drugs"

So what are the most intense 'highs' or states of eurphoria that have be induced by something other than drugs.

for example....

people who have taken a vow of celibacy seem to be able to achieve a totally different kind of non-sexual orgasm by directing their unused sexual energy into something else.

Pain produces a load of different chemicals that can in turn induce eurorhic states.

Fasting or sleep deprivation can bring about psychedelic type states

During trance you can be in a state that is far from sober but at the same time unlike any drug.
Buddhists experience nirvana

Purposely scaring the bejesus out of yourself to get that adrenaline buzz (i.e skydiving)

some people even get crazy buzz's just from doing intense excercise

What (if anything) has made you think "Bloody hell I wish I could bottle this Sh#t, i'd be rolling in it"

As most everyone knows i am born again christian. I was not raised in the church and only started going asd an adult. I have severely abused just about every drug there is in my life. But never have i felt "high" like i have when i feel the presence of God move upon me. It can happen when in church or in prayer or even when talking to someone about God.

Most times when it happens i cry from the overwhelming amount of love that i feel. It is something i really wish everyone could feel because no drug has ever come close to making me feel the way Gods "presence" does. Some may say it is something other than God that i feel and that is their opinion that they are entitled to, but i disagree. Problem is, that i cant just make this feeling come upon me by going to church or doing something specific, it happens randomly.

Doing an hour of cardio on the elliptical cross trainer by LifeFitness gives me the most amazing refreshing healthy feeling kinda high its bad ass. As I walk away from the experience I feel like god knowing I have the stamina and willpower to finish something liek that even after its done post weight training.

The high feels like coke, making you feel like a champion, an athlete etc.

off topic but...

Celibacy was brought into the Catholic Church because officials realized that offspring of the priests, bishops, etc., would be heirs to the land. Thus, requiring celibacy to be a church official was a way to insure that land owned by the Church would not be slowly taken away over the years.

back on topic...

Sex by far has brought the most euphoric feelings for me more than anything i've done in my life, including drugs. Sex on marijuana was almost too much. The sensations became so intense that I started to get scared.

Post workout feelings. After working out I have felt surprisingly good. I guess this is a combiniation of the chemicals realized during exercise plus the mental feeling of doing something good for my body.

Dancing in club. Several times I have danced in club with all the flashy lights and tripping music, whatever, without drinking or any drugs and left the club with a drunk type feeling.

i've had severe hallucinations while sleep deprived during my army days.

have done the skydiving thing and the rush from that was intense.

racing down the West Side Highway in manhattan at 100+ mph was pretty exhiliarating.

being in love

having sex with someone you love has got to be #1. freaky sex that last for hours and ends up with the house a disaster, dripping with sweat, hardly able to walk, hardly able to breathe, feeling like my heart is going to jump out of my chest, blacking out slightly when coming to an orgasm the final type with someone i love... that'll be a #0. if i could bottle that up, i'd be a drug addict for sure and with no regrets.

I'm on a similar page with 'SoHi' on the topic.
God's presence has been the most powerful force in my life...an overwhelming sensation of depth into an endless realm of wonder and contentment....in some words.

As well I reach a lot of spiritual and mental 'high's' naturally through exercise and dance. But with dancing it is a bit different than just exercise because I have other stuff that is overtaking my senses in that of the music, lights, vibrations, vibes from other people, ect... combined with the exercise affects on mental & spiritual states. Easily my favorite form of expression to reach states....dance & music...it's art

I also get 'high's' from artistic expressions I percieve from others, and from nature. I absorb into the piece, feel it, submiss and let my head dabble in ponder and critique.

Many times I will get that 'high' when I have a clicking conversation with another. Usually in conversations that are not so much of surface worth, but of depth and exploration.

For me the biggest natural high was once after doing the Middle PIllar ritual and then invoking Thoth. Rythmic breathing also is quite a high.

..But nothing comes close to acid AND an invocation...

Natural highs I have encountered are:
Repeated breating holotropic exercises (I wouldn't call it recreational - but definitely psychedelic).
Lucid Dreaming - just recently (I have given up cannabis for 2 months now) I had a semi-lucid dream where I found some grass I didn't know I had. I swear the high was vivid and full-on. Though I was lucid I wasn't aware that I was dreaming as such and when I did realise I wasn't awake I was damn disappointed. He he. Pretty easy to analyse that one.
Floatation Tank - highly recommended. Just don't fall asleep.

SoHiAllTheTime said:
Most times when it happens i cry from the overwhelming amount of love that i feel. It is something i really wish everyone could feel because no drug has ever come close to making me feel the way Gods "presence" does. Some may say it is something other than God that i feel and that is their opinion that they are entitled to, but i disagree. Problem is, that i cant just make this feeling come upon me by going to church or doing something specific, it happens randomly.

Hmm. I suggest you do more research, chances are this feeling or experience has been documented by buddhism or whatever, there really is tonnes of info on all this. These experiences and states of being are mapped out by various groups. You just need to dig a bit. Its strange though, not talking about you, how much church goers accept one type of natural high or energy and then dismiss the rest. There is more out there and its all good. I have heard something about ministers and such using energy techniques to spread energy amongst their followers, not sure if this is what your feeling, but the concept of directing energy somehow around a building or area is pretty common to a lot of traditions. Dont have experience myself in this but I have read up on it somewhere.

My own persnal view is that you would be able to re-create it by will if you gain some info and dicipline/experience in the matter. I dont believe though that any one group should claim copyrights on such energy, saying its only through them you can get it, I feel its around us all the time and anyone can access it. It just takes a bit of work to let go and accept. But now that it is occuring, or been initiatied, I suggest you just google around and find some info on similar experience. Might be insightful, I dunno.

SoHiAllTheTime - Just cuirous. If the high you feel from the love of god is better then any drug, do you still feel the need to use drugs? and if so why?

Another very powerful "high", is tantric sex exercises, prolonged sex without orgasm can lead to a state called eroto-comatose lucidity, not to be done lightly, and is very powerful and spiritual.

I remember my times as a Christian, I also got the collective high from prolonged singing and chanting, it reminds me a lot of the same high I would get as a nazi skin chanting slogans at protests, I think it's a very similar "high", a consensus high, a certainty high.

SethNichols, I concur.
dancing really connects me with that euphoric state (more-so withOUT drugs)
Watcha bit of this: www.elftrance.com
and reada bit o this: www.alloya.com
LET it inspire you, then goAdancin' :)

btw, where's my cd??
heh

Churches tend to induce spiritual/mystical experiences due to the GEOMETRY of the buildings, I believe. Faith always helps.

;)

i fell 3 stories while free climbing once, and it seemed to take forever before i finally hit ground....that was a truly unique experience.....it really did slow down......my life didn't flash or anything because i just expected to get hurt a bit, not die......kinda like a dream though........

and this isnt' to be contrary, but i felt "reborn" when i give up on religion.....felt free of having to worry about every move i make........where i live, it's considered the bible belt and atheism isn't very common at all, and is really offensive to most.....i have 4 churches within 1 mile of my apartment......but i've tried catholicism, baptist, church of christ, etc, etc......nothing made sense.......so i give up...if i'm wrong, then so be it, my choice.....i just try to treat others with respect and decency and not worry about much else......

and sex......good sex, especially after the first orgasm, seems to me something totally different......seems to build up more.........good exercise too......

and i'm not a snake handler as in doing it religiously, but when i handle my venomous snakes, it gives you a hell of a rush.....when an animal is 100% able to either end your life or ruin it ($50,000 doctor bills, loss of use of that limb or whatever, pain, etc) it's kinda euphoric......you'll concentrate so intensely on that animal and it's every movement that nothing else phases you......i don't do it often or with all my animals, because they are difficult to read in some cases, but occasionally.......

ginisfluff said:
SoHiAllTheTime - Just cuirous. If the high you feel from the love of god is better then any drug, do you still feel the need to use drugs? and if so why?

No i dont really struggle wit hwanting to use drugs anymore. Every once in a while i will take a toke or two (literally) of weed. that is not common and is more to just relax while hanging out over a friends or something. But God has removed drugs from my life and replaced them with love for Him and for other people. This coming from someone who was the most shutdown, closed off from other people, unloving person there was, until God came into my life. :)

People seem to get worried when I go out clubbing/dancing stone cold sober.
"sure you don't want a drink? you can always crash at my house?"

It kinda annoys me that 90% of people only go out clubbing to get pissed (or fucked on drugz) or to get laid.
I just wanna have fun and it does get tiring going out with friends that spend the whole time trying to get laid and end up totally fucked by the end of the night anyways.

Well they wake up alone with a hangover, I wake up feeling invigorated.

I have no problem with drugs I think they're great tools for mind expansion but when used as forms of escapism regularly they can get dangerous.

Me and my friend are thinking of spending some time doing sleep deprivation.
Is it an interesting experience? or just tiring ?

i don't sleep much anyway, but going without for a few days just makes me feel like i have a cold.....nothing euphoric but who knows.......

I did sleep deprivation while in the army do to the job and assignment i had. I was awake for 3 days straight (not on drugs) and we walked and did other training the entire time. Its a long story why we did all that, but the point is by the end of the 3 days i was seeing things like i used to see when tripping on acid. Wasnt something i would do for fun thats for sure.

Willful sleep deprivation is...... unusual, to say anything. When I did it I reached a point where I felt kind of disconnected from everything around me - on a normal day, there's a start and an end. This just seems like it's never going to end - ever seen like a music video where there's just one person standing still and everything around them is sped up, so all the events around them just seem to fly by? That's the same kind of disconnected feeling I had. I'd say it's worth a shot if you really want to try it, just don't take it too far. After I tried that I can't stay awake for much longer than say.... 36 hours. My body just says "Oh, shit, he's going to do it again" and I pass out.......lol.

sleep deprivation is not a euphric high, but i have had crazy hallucinations.

I remember one time while in the army very vividly. We had been out training and patroling in the woods and stopped and set up a perimeter for the night. (for non military folks, it's nothing like the movies, its not much nothing more than lying in a circle in the woods. no fancy tents. no standing up and walking around. no building fires) anyway, we were pulling gaurd shifts in two hour intervals. i watch for two sleep hours, sleep for two hours, watch for two hours, etc. we had been moving all day. (again for non army types, not like the movies. when you're out patroling, you're quiet all the time. any time you stop, you lay on the ground looking for the bad guys. its not like walking in the park) i was already tired. when it was my turn to guard, which again is not like the movies and means lying on the ground looking for the bad guys, i took up a position behind a big tree that had fallen over. out in front of me by a few feet and a little bit off to the left was the stump that the tree had fallen from. it was a battle to keep my eyes open. it wasn't like i could get up and walk around. you don't ever want to get caught sleeping but more importantly, falling asleep could be the enemy sneaks up on you. So, i'm leaning up against the tree, kind of half lying down and half sitting, with my rifle resting on the top of the tree, pointed out...looking for the bad guys. then...the stump sunddenly looks like a soldier from ww i who's crouching on the ground with his rifle pointed out towards the bad guys. on one hand, i know that i'm just seeing things, but i still see him there. i know i'm seeing things, but i see him slowly turn his head around and look at me. i know i'm seeing things but i say to him out loud "What do you want!"

Other people would supposedly see the bad guys crawling up and start shooting at them, but then would day light hit, they would realize that it was nothing more than a shadow.

seriously have no idea how soldiers fight in real battles when there drop dead tired.

Pain is a good high for me... i have been high from self-infliction and from play in the bedroom.
The biggest high though is a thing called "sub-space" that submissive ppl can get from BDSM play... i've experienced it and its just like you're on a different planet, everything becomes simple and u can oly do what the other person tells u to do. its really nice.
sleep deprivation has been kinda scary, had hallucinations etc from it.
Dancing, if im dancing to a joyful euphoric song i can get really into it and become super happy.
Any sort of orgasm is good... esp the ones where you can't walk afterwards you can only lie down and smile
I also get a kind of buzz when I am writing something creative... all the creative energy goes all psycho and thoughts come out fast onto the paper.

The HiVe MiND said:
SethNichols, I concur.
dancing really connects me with that euphoric state (more-so withOUT drugs)
Watcha bit of this: www.elftrance.com
and reada bit o this: www.alloya.com
LET it inspire you, then goAdancin' :)

btw, where's my cd??
heh

Churches tend to induce spiritual/mystical experiences due to the GEOMETRY of the buildings, I believe. Faith always helps.

;)

yeah I haven't forgot about mailing you some music...sorry I've been slackin on that. I'm just so ultra busy and absorbed into getting other things done for the store that I slip on that stuff :\ I will get it out to you soon though.. the wait will be worth it ;)

I'll peep out those web addy's