• CD Moderators: Thomas Davie | Darksidesam | Madness
  • Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

t.h.c. potency test?

The only way I know of is to pack a fat bong hit, blaze it, and decide for myself how high it takes me. If I feel myself getting stoned AS I exhale, then I say, "dat's some good shit, man!" =D

Short of having your own lab and being a chemist? No.. probably not.

I agree you'll have to use your natual analytical abilities unless youve got access to expensive lab equipment

jus out of pure curiosty how much would that sort of equipment set you bk

Well a good gas chromatography system will probably set you back several thousand dollars, at a minimum. Not to mention that you're gonna need some sort of detector to even determine what the hell is coming out of the column, and that may well be as or more expensive than the column depending on the type of detector.

Hmm, though there were a couple old articles in sci am about building your own GC with a flame ionization detector....

You could make honey oil, and see how much you yield from it. But really as for testing when you're buying it, just take a hit and see what's up.

Or, Make hash and see what weight the hash is from total wieght of buds. It'd be a rough estimate, not real accurate.

GS/MS is the only way for sure...

you can also just look at the little "shparkly" crystal on it. my father have a binocular (a machine that make 40x the normal view) and with this i can say if my weed have full thc or not. sure it's not really precise. i don't see the thc "in" the weed but at least "on" the weed. and if you can't see any crystal = baaaah...

yes, without lab equipment i don't really see any way of accurately measuring the THC content. Making it into hash or oil would probably get you better results than just eyeing it, but you may lose some in the process (especially if not done in proper procedure). Plus it would be a pain in the ass to do all that just to see how good the herbs are, unless you are making hash or oil to plainly make hash or oil.

Anyways the best way is probably just to eye it and smoke it. You can look at the thread about the Canabis grading scale to help you determine between the bombay and the skunk. I think the tiny crystals on the leaves represent the THC, so if you see lots of them, then you got some good shit. Anyways, Good luck...

lysergication said:
you can also just look at the little "shparkly" crystal on it. my father have a binocular (a machine that make 40x the normal view) and with this i can say if my weed have full thc or not. sure it's not really precise. i don't see the thc "in" the weed but at least "on" the weed. and if you can't see any crystal = baaaah...

Umm.. magnifying the trichomes on the outside of the weed does not tell you how much THC the bud, or even the "crystals" contains.

Well, Some breeders do use a test where they actually count the number of trichomes per square millimeter of space on the calyx's. This is for plants alreay established as potent but now they want to breed for trichome ratios. Those are the ones that look like snow or powdered sugar is dusting them. You know, strains like Cindy 99 and Herer and so on.

That ratio can tell allot about the number of trichomes not the ratio of cannabinoids, but the more trichomes the more cannabinoids. For that is where they are produced. An miniscule amount of cannibioids reside "inside" the plant. The majority if not all are in those trichomes/crystals. Sometimes allot of glands doesn't neccesarily mean more potent cause I have had reefer that was covered in glands but they weren't "ripe" yet. Ripe glands are cloudy/milky not clear, and over ripe glands are amber or dark. Overripeness indicates the THC has broken down into CBN.

Yeah, I guess you're right. But it wouldn't be a way to work out a real accurate percentage or anything. Could get some decent guesses though.

i always give my weed the ol' 'blackout' test. i'll smoke through a bowl really quick while driving on the freeway... ill hold each hit in a long time, then exhale, then pretty much immediately take another hit. if, by the end of the bowl, i get that nitrous-y weed blackout sensation, then i'll know it's the kill.... no way to measure percentages though.

The amount of crystals in a bud does not have any direct correlation to the potency

yes the freeway is definitely the place to try your "blackout" experiment, good suggestion

PhirexZ: But since the vast majority of cannabinoids present in the average bud are concentrated within the trichomes (trichomes can sometimes be upwards of 90% pure cannabinoids by weight) - they are at least a good indication.

--- G.

Kanaba said:
i always give my weed the ol' 'blackout' test. i'll smoke through a bowl really quick while driving on the freeway... ill hold each hit in a long time, then exhale, then pretty much immediately take another hit. if, by the end of the bowl, i get that nitrous-y weed blackout sensation, then i'll know it's the kill.... no way to measure percentages though.

Wow that sounds real intelligent. I hope youre just joking around...

If you are really dedicated, there is a somewhat less accurate but cheaper alternative to GCMS. Extract the resins with petroleum ether and fractionally distill this in the 200-210 degree celsius range to get almost pure thc. You can compare this to your total starting weight to get a %THC. All this equipment could cost you under $US 1000, or much less if you are inventive.

yeah, im joking, i usually just test the potency alone in my room, but if i DO happen to have just bought a sack, and im on the freeway, i won't hesitate to smoke a bowl of that shit. i know im just a terrible influence or whatever, but i've been smoking and driving since sophomore year, and it hasn't negatively affected my driving skills ever, never gotten in a wreck, never been close, etc... But that's just me, folks. Don't try that. I should really be more responsible. Oh well.