• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS:Report shatters cocaine 'candy' myth

Psychadelic_Paisly

Bluelighter
Report shatters cocaine 'candy' myth
By Ruth Pollard
December 27, 2003
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/12/26/1072308681297.html

Cocaine's reputation as non-toxic "nose-candy" for the beautiful set has been destroyed.

New research shows that it has been responsible for almost 150 deaths and countless overdoses over the past decade in NSW alone.

Unlike deaths from heroin, half of those who fatally overdosed were employed, and 25 per cent were in a professional or managerial role, according to the study by the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre.

Authors Shane Darke and Sharlene Kaye said most of deaths occurred at weekends in inner-city suburbs.

The study, based on NSW coronial records from 1993 to 2002, found that the average age at death was 34, and that 84 per cent of overdoses were by men.

"The image of cocaine as a safe, fluffy drug, with names like nose candy is just rubbish," Associate Professor Darke said. "It is an incredibly dangerous drug. It has serious side effects."

The harm is not confined to the way people took the drug, although those who injected were more likely to have hepatitis C or HIV, and those who snorted cocaine tended to have problems with nasal bleeding, or in some cases, wearing out the septum.

"With cocaine there is cumulative damage to the cardiovascular system," Professor Darke said. "It is cardio-toxic, literally poisonous to the heart, and is associated strongly with blockages of the coronary arteries and severe enlargement of the heart."

Signs of an overdose included heart palpitations, intense sweating, high temperature, seizures, chest pain, tremors and severe nausea and vomiting, he said.

Then there were the psychological side effects, such as anxiety, paranoia, panic, severe agitation and a condition known as excited delirium.

"I would be very surprised if the average middle-class person who has snorted cocaine had any idea of the immediate damage it can cause," Professor Darke said.

Toxic reactions could occur irrespective of the dose, frequency of use or the way it was taken, and had been reported with small amounts of cocaine, and on the first time it was used.

The main method before death was injecting (86 per cent). Nasal administration counted for 8 per cent of deaths, and smoking 3 per cent.

From 1998, cocaine increased in popularity, partly because of the so-called heroin drought. Its use had since fallen off, but was still high, Professor Darke said.

"Fatalities are the tip of the iceberg. How many people out there are getting heart pain?"

Along with its effect on the heart and evidence that cocaine could also increase the risk of stroke, Professor Darke's study also found that the drug's powerful disinhibiting effect also led people to take unnecessary risks. They crashed cars, fell off balconies, and got into fights.

His co-author, Dr Kaye, examined non-fatal overdoses, surveying 200 cocaine users, among them 120 injectors and 80 non-injectors.

She found that 13 per cent had overdosed, and more than half had experienced some kind of adverse physical or psychological symptom from cocaine. But many did not recognise those symptoms as a potential overdose.

"There was a group who did not know that you could overdose on cocaine," Dr Kaye said.

"There was a group who did not know that you could overdose on cocaine," Dr Kaye said.
Where did they find these people? Fucktards R Us??? 8o

His co-author, Dr Kaye, examined non-fatal overdoses, surveying 200 cocaine users, among them 120 injectors and 80 non-injectors.
The main method before death was injecting (86 per cent). Nasal administration counted for 8 per cent of deaths, and smoking 3 per cent.
I'll let you all find a problem in the study above...:\

But overall...good msg.

who actually IV's coke???

and from what i gather, it has never been seen as one of the "lighter" drugs. by anyone

From what I can gather in the cross from the junkies I've talked to, its better than Smack to IV. I've never IV'd either, so I have no personal knowledge, but its what I'm told in general conversation.

syntech said:
who actually IV's coke???

why do you be so surprised?

bit of a redredge, state the obvious article really, nothing new here!
cept i was surprised that such a major % of the user deaths involved IV MOA. 150 deaths in a decade (about 3mnths of the national road toll)

I can see how this mentality exists - while a lot of people regard cocaine as a scary drug, some that use it don't really measure the doses very well. "A line of coke can never be long enough" is fine unless you have 10 of those lines at once. Where a standard line of meth might be a point at the very most, I've seen people do lines of coke that were upwards of about 3 points. Have a few of them in a row and you'd be putting a bit of a strain on your system.

I think the perception that it's safe isn't talking about people thinking it's like sugar, but it's people comparing it to something like GHB with a low threshold to overdose ratio. The margin of error is higher with coke, so people might be more inclined to over do it.

But yeah, nothing really new in this article.