• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

⭐️ Social ⭐️ Why you're deciding to get into drugs?

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
I decided today that this would be an interesting question to ask in this forum, as "Drug Basics" is dedicated to those who are primarily new to drug use, and some that are naive to drugs all together.
I would like to get an overall read from those who frequent this forum... What has prompted you to become curious about the world of drugs? Has it come out of the friendships you have? Is it a function of the specific "scene" you're into right now (be it the rave, house, hip-hop, goth, etc.)? Maybe you have you decided to look into drugs maybe for more spiritual reasons?
If as many of you as possible wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts on this question, I think it would prove interesting to the rest of the forum and Bluelight as a whole, and possibly help us to better define who/what makes up our culture here in the "Drug Basics" forum.
Thanks in advance for your replies.
SG

As cliched as it seems, it was mainly my friends' use that convinced me to try drugs.
In high school, I was stauchly anti-drug; not so much because I thought they were evil and were going to burn holes into my brian. Rather, because, being in a mainly rural area, the only people I saw doing drugs were the dumbasses with zero motivation who were going to wind up working on the farms for the rest of their lives. I, needless to say, wanted to stay away from that, and thus, stayed away from drugs.
Once I got to college, however, I began to see things differently. I meet a group of intelligent, motivated people who where actually on track to make something lives and who happened to do drugs. Anyway, being around them convinced to at least try drinking, and from there I started to try other drugs. Through various drugs, I learned things I never have learned without their aid.
So the moral of the story is: I was transformed from someone who viewed drugs as a obstruction to achieving greater things to someone who viewed drugs as a catalyst to developing new understandings of the world and my place in it.
[ 23 October 2002: Message edited by: vegtable ]

Wanting to escape from reality. Wanting a false sense of happiness. Didn't start until I was out of high school. I, like vegtable, was very anti-drugs and alcohol in high school. I got into college and it made me really, really depressed and withdrawn, so I figured drugs would help ease the pain.

well, ever since about year 10 in high school i'd been wanting to get into the rave culture, but had always been a big wuss about it ('cos i was too stressed to dance: i'm lanky :) )...also, since around about the same time, i'd been interested in ecstasy, i read up on it in new scientist mag, things like that.
then flash forward to *now*ish, and having read a heap of research articles on it, and quite a bit of bluelight, i just decided that i wanted to. you know, other drugs don't really attract me much at all, but ecstasy being the 'love drug' so to speak sounded very cool...
!brad

Well... I don't have your typical drug use story...
I lived in a small village while in highschool. I am non judgemental so I kinda had friends from all sorts of cliques. My 'pothead' friends were frowned upon and gave me a bad name. Still, I refused to listen to anyone believing in not judging people. Regardless of whom I chose to associate myself with I never touched pot.
Years passed. My mother pick up the habbit when I was 16 (very odd for a straight laced mah like mine) and my b/fs did it but still I didn't touch.
I wanted to though. I just didn't know how to inhald since I didn't smoke cigs. SOOO... when I moved out of home with my HUGE crack head, drug addict b/f I snuck a drag when he left me to hold a joint. Than I snaged some shake from a garbage bag a buddy gave him. I DIDN'T STOP THERE.... a few days later my b/f had some blow... may have been only my second time seeing it... he left the room and I did some... and more 2 days later... and that was it!... I was on the road to drug use.
I am the one who went out to get speed my first time... (not in the rave scene yet) to lose weight... that didn't work but I looked like shit. I went to a rave and ASKED around for blow... only to get k... and more 2 days later... I did ketamine 3 or 4 times in my first week.
The only drug I never really liked... e... mind you I have don't tons...
-- now I have more drugs on my list than most have even heard of...
SO... I suppose I just wanted to know what it feels like. I feel that drugs are mind opening. You can see the world in a different light. Sometimes through the eyes of a crazy man... but... what the hell. I would like to go on and write about my experiences one day. Maybe.
I would LOVE to be able to write while being ON drugs... but we all know that is too hard!
[ 27 October 2002: Message edited by: AnaAlone ]

As cliche as it may sound. I think experimenting is fun if you are careful and not stupid. I remember older people warning me about marajuana and being scared shit to try it and then finally trying it with my friends and it was fun! I didnt become an addict or a bum or any of the things I heard it would do. I guess there are some drugs I wouldnt mess with because I have seen the results with my own eyes but like someone here said (I forget who) Its the person doing the drugs that makes the difference (something like that ). I think that if you are pretty stable and happy you won't abuse the drug and that is probably the entire trick right there. Cigarettes can kill but I doubt one cig every 2 months will give you cancer. I think air pollution is probably worse LOL. Anyway I think lots of things are addictive and are LEGAL too! Household products can kill you if abused! I dont understand some of the media stuff I read here about the "dangers of this and that and how the fda is so obsessed with cracking down on everything! Its like what I learned in school about prohibition. Well now alcohol is legal and people DO die from it! But its STILL legal! Cigarettes too! fda is bullshit! Well my point is I think I'm smart enough to make my own decisions and not buy into all the hype right away. I want to try some drugs because its fun to let loose and party in a different state of mind. Just like our parents like to have a few drinks after work on friday! duh! :) IMHO!

i was completely against drug use all through high school. mainly because i was 'goth' and didn't use drugs, so all the wannabe gangbangers in my suburban hell would pick fights with me nonstop. i was shy, i didn't talk much, and i was very lanky. i thought my only hope was to befreind people who would stand up for me. and the only ones that would do it were the straightedge punk kids.
by the end of high school i was friends with 'DB' who was a bit of a pothead. one day at his house, a friend of his came over, and was telling us about x. i hadn't even heard of it. he said they were white euros at 20 a piece. so i thought they were some kind of european prescription that he got a hold of. he said it would give me energy and make me see things. since i thought it was a prescription drug, not a pill pressed by some underground lab, i fiured it was safe. i figured it would be 'twice as good as ritilen' which i was prescribed as a kid.
and it turned out to be 10billion times better then ritilen.
a week later, i was smoking pot. a month later, i smoked my first cigerette. one month after that, i drank alcohol for the first time.
this whole ordeal began two weeks before thanksgiving 2001. so almost a year ago. i have now tried all the drugs that your average nondrug user knows about. and many more. i was a bit of a junkie the past nine months. now i only smoke salvia, and i only do it rarely.

i was never against drugs excluding heroin(still), i hated alcohol and still hate it. and looked for different drugs, started with extasy in clubs. after becomin an addict of drugs, i give up everything includin marijuana. now i dont do them very often, but still like them.

2 or 3 years ago, i became totally fed up with being down all the time. i began doing some research and i stumbled across a subject known as lsd metaprogramming. so i figured, what the hell, why not give it a shot. i tracked down some lsd and began. before the heavy lsd use began, i had a chance to try mdma (i had done research on it as well, and it seemed like it would be perfect to help along my 'self therapy'). after mdma use, i realized how truely happy i could be, and went at it with the lsd a few months later.
now, none of my reprogramming was done conciously, but i still feel like i've definately improved my mental health.
i'll pretty much do anything i get my hands on now, except for alcohol and marijuana. i figure all drugs can do is improve me, plus i love new experiences.
[edit]
i forgot to mention... all thru highschool i was totally anti-drug. early hs years, i believed that drugs were for people who werent strong enough to cope with reality. at some point i realized my best friend was an avid drug user. i think once or twice, drugs were offered, but i never accepted. a few months after i graduated highschool, i went and got totally drunk with my friend and his mom. a few months after that, i was with him and other friends when they blazed up a few joints and figured "what the hell, why not give it a shot." those 2 experiences are what opened me up to the idea that maybe, just maybe, drugs arent bad. and thus, the research began, leading me to try lsd and mdma.
[ 23 October 2002: Message edited by: tathra ]

As cliche as it may sound. I think experimenting is fun if you are careful and not stupid. I remember older people warning me about marajuana and being scared shit to try it and then finally trying it with my friends and it was fun! I didnt become an addict or a bum or any of the things I heard it would do. I guess there are some drugs I wouldnt mess with because I have seen the results with my own eyes but like someone here said (I forget who) Its the person doing the drugs that makes the difference (something like that ). I think that if you are pretty stable and happy you won't abuse the drug and that is probably the entire trick right there. Cigarettes can kill but I doubt one cig every 2 months will give you cancer. I think air pollution is probably worse LOL. Anyway I think lots of things are addictive and are LEGAL too! Household products can kill you if abused! I dont understand some of the media stuff I read here about the "dangers of this and that and how the fda is so obsessed with cracking down on everything! Its like what I learned in school about prohibition. Well now alcohol is legal and people DO die from it! But its STILL legal! Cigarettes too! fda is bullshit! Well my point is I think I'm smart enough to make my own decisions and not buy into all the hype right away. I want to try some drugs because its fun to let loose and party in a different state of mind. Just like our parents like to have a few drinks after work on friday! duh! :) IMHO!

I honestly don't remember why I started using drugs. That's no good :(

Same as a lot of other peolpe, all throughout High School I was against drugs, especially cigarettes. After trying my first cig, it tasted like shit and that was enough to put me off. I did drink alcohol however, so did my friends and a few smoked weed and took x, but I always said no when it was offered.
Then, after High School hanging out with some new friends I found out that they were smoking weed and they all couldn't get enough. So, being the curious type (although only when I think it's safe) I had my first joint at a friends 18th, I was driving so I couldn't drink and wanted to have a good time. I was with people I knew had experience and knew what they were doing, I felt safe. It was a bit of peer pressure and a lot of curiosity that got me started and kept me going, even through some bad experiences.
The only other drug I use is x, and that was totally out of curiosity. Before I took x though, I talked to a lot of friends that took it and tried to find out a lot about the effects it would have on me, I considered x to be a greater risk than weed and didn't want anything to go wrong. It was an amazing experience that I see myself continuing, not on a regluar basis though.
After having x I was even more curious and started researching into LSD, which I plan to take soon out of curiosity. (I want to experience the visuals associated with it, who knows what I'l try next)
The only thing keeping me from trying a wide range of drugs is availabilty and cash, I love to experiment, and I've been curious all my life.

As some people have already said, I too was once completely against drugs, mainly because my sister went on about a 2 year depression streak after doing E for her first and only time. So because of that, I blamed the drugs (although, I later found out what my parents neglected to tell me, that she was already depressed before that, but just didn't show it).
So, when I was in grade 9, nearing the end of the year, just a few weeks before my 15th birthday. I was talking to a very drunk friend of mine who was talking to me about his experience on mushrooms, and how they inspired him so much. So after looking into it for about a week (Suprinsingly, I found out alot about mushrooms in that week), I went for it, and did mushrooms with that friend of mine. Well hooo-boy, it was quite amazing. After that, I just started doing mushrooms even more, and then I started up with alchohol, then weed. Now I do weed daily (usually), alchohol weekly, and mushrooms monthly.

I just got curious I guess...I've always been willing to try new things anytime. Then I got curious about some drugs and wanted to try drinking. From drinking I went to smoking weed and from there my curiousity and experimentations grew. I've still managed to still away from cigs. though.

Around 6th grade I started looking at the anarchist cookbook on the internet and thinking my dare class was probably lying to me. Being a "U rat" and skating at the local university all day, I started smoking cigs in 7th grade. Probably to fit in with the other U rats.
I tried alcohol and mj the first time they were offered, which was the summer before 8th grade. I liked nicotine, caffeine, and adrenaline rushes, so I figured booze and bud must be good too.
After this I became facinated with altered states of conciousness and drugs in general. Studying altered states and ways of achieving them is now my favorite hobby, but does get in the way of my school work (which is probably more important) at times.

I was curious and bored one night, and that prompted me to try out herb. From there on, my drug usage has expanded for spiritual reasons. My usage of drugs isn't really to get fucked up, but to learn from it.

I started using drugs because i was depressed and needing to blow off steam. Because drugs were illegal and anit-establishment they made the perferct cadidate. These days i do em cos there nice.