Dropping Out Of Highschool?

littlecunt

Bluelighter
I'm currently attending a high school that depresses me, every day. People tell me to bear with it and to get through, but in my heart I know that high school just isn't my "thang"... My question to you is, what do you think that I should consider? Do you have any experiences with dropping out, please reply. Thanks.

Are far are you from completing high school?

Have you ogt any idea what direction YOU would like to go to if you left?

Yeah, I do. I want to work some where, relax and see where the road takes me.

I am far from completing high school; i already failed an entire grade.

i thikn you should suck it up and do the work. we all talk about how much school sux (especially me) but seriously if u get down to it, is it really that much to ask to invest 2hours a day in it? shit 80% of students dont even need 2hours...for me 1 1/2 hours a day is more than enough, and im in the IB Diploma program...problem is i dont even invest that 1 1/2 hours

You need to think about your future before you make a decision like this. Not many jobs are even out there for college graduates nowadays, let alone someone who DOESNT have a high school education. Not much is out there for someone who didnt graduate high school, jsut remember that.

247, american highschools are 7 hours a day, 5 days a week, 180 days a year for 4 years. it is very long and tedious and gets old quick.

honestly cunt, here is the real deal. you either need to be a hard worker or a school graduate to do anything in life. i dont think anyone should be put into the real world without a highschool degree or a GED. im not a middle aged geeser either. im 19. i made it through highschool.

just think about how your life will be messed up. your gonna have to face your family and friends who will, no doubt, frown upon you. youll have to get a real job working hard to make enough money.

also think about how many crackheads there are out there that started out quitting high school. they could only get a half decent job and had to start working the streets for extra cash. a hard night of depression and an angel shows up with a rock and promises to take all your worries away. you may say you wont take crack or heroine ever, but no one ever really planned to get addicted like they do

as much as you hate school, its better than the other alternative.

thats the real deal. theres no opinion in there that you can dismiss because its an opinion. life is much harder with no school. you WILL regret quitting. simple.

What grade are you in?

I agree with JosephTheSequel, a lot of jobs nowadays require a minimum of a high school education. Is it really THAT bad you have to leave now? If not, persevere because it will pay off in the long run.

My uni degree isn't my "thang" either but hey, I'm just about to graduate (provided I pass my exam in 2 hours!).

Last edited:
I know some people really have problems with high school, but if it is only a problem with just not putting forth the effort then...I don't even know high school is so important =\. If your school is BS try to transfer to another one. It might not be much better but a change could help. You really need to finish, get tutors etc. School is easy compared to life, and life is easy compared to life without a high school degree.

You gotta think about it like this. Your not gonna be working hard to get good money, you are gonna be working hard to get shit money, barely enough to get by. Scraping by paycheck to paycheck.

Whats more worth it, 4 years of shit, or a lifetime of dissapointment. Trust me, even the biggest of screwups make it thru high school/ged.

yeah- without a diploma or ged you're at the ass-end of the employment spectrum... i've recently worked with the dean of students at a high school and there are a lot of options available outiside of the normal "depressing" high school experience... depending on how your state/individual school is set up there are lots of alternate options:

night school, high school over the internet, home school, ged program, early graduation option... a lot of people i know used these programs to cut high school short, no doubt high school sucks- but the real world sucks too... you quickly find out that the high school bullshit never ends, surviving high school is lightweight compared to surviving the concrete jungle...

i don't know if you've spoken with your administrators yet- but all of the ones that i had as a student/have worked with recently are really good people interested in helping kids out- don't get down on them because they are "the man".

My life was shit in high school, but I toughed it out and am happier now than ever. Trust me, push though, go to college it WILL be worth it in the end.

I dropped out of high school for 2 years and let me tell you it is NOT worth it. Deal with it get your diploma.....I wish i would have listened to my parents when they told me that. And now here I am on my 6th year of high school.....going to be 19 in a few weeks.....it sucks being one of the oldest people at your high school and i really wish that I would have graduated 2 years ago like I was supposed to.

Just think about it you finish your high school you never really have to go back to school again. Its alot better than being old and going back to get your diploma so you can get a decent job.

I'm another person who didn't like high school - but I stuck it out - and although it has no bearing on my current profession, it did lay the first foundation stone.

My brother dropped out when he was 15, scored some low paying work followed by all sorts of jobs that dont need education, at 24 he went to uni by passing the mature age entrance exam, and he's just graduated with distinctions and high distinctions and got a high paying job lined up already.

Education is a great thing, but there's always other options.

If you plan on dropping out and just smoking dope and doing drugs all day, then I think you should stay in school, cos that life's not gonna lead you anywhere but down.

Me, I finished school with minimal effort, dropped out of uni twice, and have held a long line of interesting but pretty low paying jobs. If you feel ultra motivated to follow some other form of education or line of work go for it, education can wait.

Read "Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America" by Barbara Ehrenreich.

Go ask people in the real world.

I pretty much dropped out at 8th grade. Got my diploma at 16 and at 17 am now taking classes at a city college and working a part-time job. I didn't like being treated like homogenized milk, so that is why I decided I'd rather set my foot out in the real world a little faster than other wise. Never even stepped foot in a high school class. High school in my opinion is a big waste of time for those who aren't interested in doing just that; wasting a large majority of their lives being impounded with the same lies taught to every other student on campus. College classes should be open to more students and instead of of us all being taught the same thing in the same way we should be taught based on how we learn, on our own strengths and weaknesses, and for what we want to pursue for those of us that already know. I wouldn't neccessarily say that school failed me if so then I'd have to say it fails more students than not, but rather school after 6th grade just seemed like a big game because the focus was taken off of actual learning; in turn blinding me to the resources that were open to me to utilize what I wanted out of school.

My number one advice for you is that if you do drop out make sure you get your GED or CHSPE as soon as possible. Many city colleges have free classes for the G.E.D. but you have to pay for testing and a study book.

also think about how many crackheads there are out there that started out quitting high school. they could only get a half decent job and had to start working the streets for extra cash. a hard night of depression and an angel shows up with a rock and promises to take all your worries away. you may say you wont take crack or heroine ever, but no one ever really planned to get addicted like they do

Don't let anyone scare you and tell you you're going to end up as a crackhead on the street if you don't finish high school or you just feel like takin' a break from learning because you've been a little burnt out on it because it's completely understandable. If you believe in yourself and you know you have a right to take a break then who is anyone to tell you that they know you better than you know yourself? That is a complete bullshit , toe-ringin' scare tactic that I can only identify with something as horrible as yellow journalism and media propaganda. I know that's not exactly what mintyelevatakid is saying, but to a vulnerable and already scared individual believe me that's all you're going to see. There are people out there who are so successfull that didn't even go to much school their whole lives and they're doing just fine. It all depends on your will and your desire hon on how much you want to accomplish here. Beside the fact, most crackheads and junkies are in that current because they've had one mothafuckin hard life and haven't gotten or wanted the help they needed for dealing with it and moving on. It really could be any number of explanations. The common societal scare tactic for keeping people enchained will not work on everyone and I find it pretty disturbing to see such a blatant stereotype present on such a supportive board as this one. :(

Another thing -- enroll your ass in some classes you find interesting at a city college when you feel you're ready to learn again AND the most important: have a plan or a goal set for the next five years and make sure you stick to it. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for the fact that I was free to explore who I was and what I wanted to give to the world during the time I wasn't in school, but goals are definitely still needed no matter what.

Learning doesn't have to involve school, but if you want it to remember that it's always there to help get yourself where you want to be. That's all school in the real world entails. High school is more of a game and a test, but for many the education and teaching in high school breaks the spirit of learning. Take everything I said with a grain of salt -- this is just what I did and what I think. I'm only hoping that it helped ya out a little bit. :)

.Good luck friend.

Just because high school isn't your 'thang' doesn't mean that you should drop out. It's nobody's 'thang.' Some of those people in your high school that you think probably have it all together or that everything is working out for them, they don't want to be there, either. When I was in HS, I was the pres. of my class, a member a National Honor Society and captain of both my football and academic teams, yet I attempted suicide twice my senior year . . . high school is the fucking bottom, but to paraphrase a great film, surviving is the point. Getting out makes you a stronger person. You can get through it. I did.

Take care. :)

I left school about a year ago now and all i can say is stay, i hated it everyday but buddy, you havnt experianced the real world and i myself havnt experianced much at all but from what ive already noticed and takin in, its not easy! Its hard! School is easy, they are spoon feeding you. Enjoy it cos school is once and i miss it already! Woah seeing my friends everyday was bliss, now it just sucks working

I dropped out of school near the end of the first semester of my senior year. We had just moved to a new town and I started having panic attacks and developed an ulcer--so it was definitely the right decision at the time. I just took classes at a community college while I got my GED and then ended up going to a university the next fall--on time, as I would of had I stayed in high school.
I ended up getting kicked out of that school (Vegas is not a good place to be when you're 18 and have money), so I ended up at community college again. I eventually ended up at UC Irvine and am now currently studying abroad in Hong Kong for the year, before going on to Beijing this summer. In a year and a half I will have a college degree.
The point of all this--I think things just work out sometimes. As much as high school sucks, I promise you--college is so much better. I'm not saying you should drop out of school--it's something my parents are still ashamed of me about--but honestly, a GED can get you anything a high school degree would. I say don't force it, but when it comes down to it, if you feel you need to do it--then do it.