• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Reincarnation and the Source

Sir Jac

Bluelighter
has anyone else heard of this? it's a rather strange concept, developed by ancient and modern philosophers that deals with the inter-connection of all life and tries to explain strange documented events like NDEs and such...

Basicly the theory goes as such... somewhere outside of space time is the source of all living existance... I think it's described as the sum experience of all life that has ever existed... when you are born, part of the source enters your body and becomes your "soul"... this soul has all the sum knowlage that it has attained in prior lives, and it passes it on to this new vessel... not knowlage as in specific info on any past lives... more of what the past lives learned from their experiences that changed their outlook on life... anyways, as you go on and live your life, the things you learn and experiences you have are added to your soul, basicly letting it grow... then when you die, the soul leaves the body and returns to the source with this new knowlage it gained from that life... then the cycle repeats itself...

It's an interesting concept, no doubt... sometimes it almost seems to make sense too... when you look around at people you know, some of them seem to have younger souls, are a little more reckless, a little more likely to go out and do somthing stupid... then there are others that seem to have very old souls... seem to be wise beyond their years, seem to always give the best advice... some people say that wisdom is a gift, simply cause they don't have any other explanation of why some people have it and other don't... you can't learn it in school, you can't practice being wise... but sometimes you meet a kid that makes you think he knows more about the world then you do...

it also explains NDE is a elegant way as well... a person is seriously injured, they are dying on the operating table, and the soul leaves the body... they seem themselves lying there, they hear the voices of the dr's trying to save them... and they seem the white tunnel leading to the source... and they are greeted by the souls of dead relatives and friends... but the source doesn't want them to die yet... so they are lead back to their body and come back to life, with the memories what had occured... they are able to quote what was said even though they were technically dead at the time and there is no way they could have rationally been aware...

I suppose the source is like a new age religion... it gives purpose to life... it contains the feeling of spirituality and connectiveness to all life... it has an afterlife... but strangely no hell... I would be interested in what you guys thought of this...

but sometimes you meet a kid that makes you think he knows more about the world then you do...
It's especially strange when they can suck you into their eyeballs.

But without getting into that, this idea isn't really all that new or profound. Not to mock, just to say. I'm not certain we go on after we die, but I have reason/delusion to believe that we do, but the sourse idea has always irritated me. I always liked the word better than `god', which has far too many associations with it, so much to make it meaningless, but sourse really isn't all that different from some `god' interpretations. It's still a beginning. I don't see an ultimate beginning or sourse as nessesary. And their might be a collective consciousness -- that is, in a consciousness-preceeding-creating-and-participating-in-the-ongoing-creation-of-existence kind of way, in the sense that we're all interconnected in a greater mind of sorts, outside of our individual self-awareness -- but I wouldn't think of it as a sourse, because there's still no reason to think it preceeded diverse indepedence.

There's evidence for telepathy, and that time and space don't get in it's way at all, so invisible connections between all life, and so the accomplishments of one pushing the threshold of all is something I find concievable. But it's not the `sourse' in the way you're describing it. And though I think reincarnation is possible, telepathy unbound by time or space having more evidence than reincarnation poses some obvious problems.

Just my two nano-cents.

does this "source" give plants souls as well? what knowledge or experience could plants possibly attain that would be of any use to the source? i mean they are just as alive as we are, but when you speak of plants they can hardly be considered 'reckless' or 'wise'. Do plants go to heaven? Are plants greeted by all the dead-plant souls on their way to this white light?
it makes for a nice fairy tale and i can understand how it would be an appealing 'religion-twist' since it is so neutral yet 'magical' at the same time but being the skeptic scientific-type that i am, i'd have to dismiss it as pure disney material.
again, being the skeptic i am, i would have to dismiss rewiired's claims that telepathy exists...no offense meant, but i would only be satisfied if i saw this with my own two eyes.
The only thing i DO like about this religion is that the source doesnt demand any worship, payment or tribute for the gift of life, or the soul.
is the source constantly growing, like the human population, or is there a finite amount of souls or soul-material which it can distribute? if so, that would make past generations a hell of a lot smarter and experienced and us a hell of a lot dumber

I could be wrong 247 but I don't think that this is a religion. More like a theory, I wouldn't think anyone would have that much faith in this being absolutely true to worship this "source". I do find it more logical than "...and god said let their be life" though. But that's just me, I get a certain joy from blasphemy for some reason.

yes, I posted it as a theory, not as a religion.... I can't prove it does exist... I'm not even gunna pretend I'm an expert on how it works... do plants go to heaven? I dunno... how big is the source? I dunno... Is there a source? I dunno, I'll tell ya when I die ;)

it's just food for thought, I'm not trying to create anything here... I just like to read possible answers to lifes great mysteries... and shoot holes through them if I can :D

^indeed.
This is one of the more interesting ones I've heard of. The cool thing about this subject is that no one's ever right and if they are they can't prove it. One of the few subjects that can still knock the dust off the ol' imagination.

Jac, you know of anywhere I can read up on this more?

reminds me of the pillow talk conversation in Waking Life...and a tid bit of Michael Talbot..

247 said:
does this "source" give plants souls as well? what knowledge or experience could plants possibly attain that would be of any use to the source? i mean they are just as alive as we are, but when you speak of plants they can hardly be considered 'reckless' or 'wise'. Do plants go to heaven? Are plants greeted by all the dead-plant souls on their way to this white light?

I don't know, if we can believe that all human life is connected in this manner, why not plants? Plant life may not be able to be considered 'wise' or 'reckless' by us, but is that just because we don't have any way to communicate with them in a meaningful way?

We do know that plants interact with one another; not in the "Hey Bob how ya been?" sense, but they have and react to pheromonal signals, etc. We know that plant life responds to outside stimulus...for example, there have been experiments that have proven plants respond better to soothing music than to a drill sergeant screaming at them all day. So who's to say that plants don't have a soul which we're just unable to interpret as such because it's in a different realm than our own subjective experiences?

And to answer the question about what knowledge or experience could plants possibly attain...I think that can be answered even using human perspective. Just imagine existing as a life-form which exists purely to survive in a physical sense; a complete lack of any kind of imposed social mores or culture, and in a world that most of us never really understand but only visit. Sure, that's a bit flowery (excuse the pun), but it can't be denied that a plant's experience of "life" would be completely different to a human being's. Maybe even existing as a non-sentient and for the most part immobile life form is in itself something worth experiencing, just to know what that feels like when compared to being an animal.

I just tend to think that if someone's going to accept that living organisms have a soul, or are bound by some kind of metaphysical force, then it stands to reason that ALL living organisms obey that rule of metaphysics.

--Raz--

Raz said:
I just tend to think that if someone's going to accept that living organisms have a soul, or are bound by some kind of metaphysical force, then it stands to reason that ALL living organisms obey that rule of metaphysics.

--Raz--

my point exactly... the only reason i said that was because most people believe that humans HAVE souls and plants DON'T. To tell you the truth, I don't think any of us have souls. I don't think we go to heaven, or hell. I think the whole idea of souls and heaven is just a way of us flattering ourselves. Well, you know what mankind...don't fucking flatter yourself...nobody is gonna put a dime of effort into making you happy or sad (heaven or hell) after you die...why should they? If there is a God, i think he has some much cooler creatures out there that he/she would rather pay attention to...Give up on the illusion...the only thing you can expect after death is biodegration.