• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

5-HTP and Alcohol

Treacle

Bluelighter
I'm having difficulty finding much on this topic. I've heard that you should leave a six hour gap between taking alcohol and 5-HTP. Is there any truth behind this? If so, what is the danger?

Do NOT combine these two. I had a horrific panic attack / seizure doing just this. Your liver has a hard time metabolizing the alcohol and the 5-HTP. I took 150 MG, with valerian root, and vitamin b-6, and 4 beers... floored, literally.

I had one beer after taking 100 mg the other day felt very drowsy for a couple of hours. How long should I leave it because I'm going out tonight? There will have been a 7 hour gap between both by then. I don't understand how two people on BL complained of problems with the combo but there is NO information anywhere else on the 'net about any potential problems.

Last edited:
Well, I don't understand it either. I think the danger of the combination should be more publicized. But I think that perhaps that's part of the problem - people may not realize why they had problems until they see something like this.

I don't see why it's necessary for you to take it with alcohol at all, honestly. When I did it, I was absent-minded. I didn't mean to take it.

Why risk it?

I take 5-HTP in the morning and then sometimes go out at night so I just wanna make sure I'm not at any risk thats all. I went out last night and felt drowsy after the first 4 or 5 drinks and then became really focused and alert as I drank more. I actually had some positive thoughts and felt like I sorted out some mental problems during the course of the evening. 5-HTP seems to be a very good thing.

^^^ Im sure this is becuase you left a good gap between the 5HTP and the Alcohol... Well, I posted a while back on BL about my "Seizure" in Health Q&A... Not too many people believed me. I am not a stupid person, I know what happened to me- I fell to the floor and convulsed, my Muscles were not under my control.. i am otherwise perfectly healthy. I was biting my tounge a little... i had a SCARY life changing seizure.. DO NOT COMBINE. I hope i convince anyone reading to think otherwise... i wouldnt lie about this

Can you take 5-htp for hangovers? I've gotten this suggestion, but after reading this, I'm a bit sceptical.

i am VERY sceptical about this. i have never heard of people getting seizures after they eat loads of turkey and consume alcohol. 5-htp is a natural source, also found in turkeys, it's what makes people drowsy (don't know about specific amounts, but the precursors are def higher in content, still makes it weird). now i bet there are hundreds, no, thousands of people combining a good turkey dinner with afterwards some alcoholic beverages. never heard of troubles, has anyone? i know you two aren't lying about this (randycaver and Digitally Analog), but i have to say that it could be a personal thing. something like an allergic reaction or something, liver failure, whatever, but it does not apply to everyone i presume. does it?

^^^^ Ummm, Turkey is L-Tryptophan. 5-HTP is different than L-Tryptophan- unless i am mistaken. L-Tryptophan is converted into 5-HTP before seratonin, so when you take 5-HTP you are skipping this step, allowing more to metabolize (sp.) more effectively. They also add B6 and valerian root to increase its effectiveness.

i have never had any problems with mixing the 2.
Took one 50mg 5-HTP capsule in work the other night
(i work in a bar) and i usually always have a few drinks
during and after my shift. Felt fine.

only problem i had was mixing with st johns wort.
had a nasty dose of seratonin syndrome lying in
bed one night. was just about to post about it in
here.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?threadid=104495

I can tell you this much....

I took 3 pills of 5-HTP and then about 1 hour later drank like 2-4 shots of vodka. Not that much, just a nice drunk. But instead of being nicely buzzed I blacked out, threw up multiple times....it was shit, I didn't remember a thing the next day.

Didn't know what it did but I would strongley suggest against this mix.

hmmm Ive never had any problems with two either, in fact I used to take 5htp when I got home after a heavy night drinking, as when I got up I used to have no hangover and feel great.

wow, thanks for warning about this... i've been taking 5-htp daily (50 mg), and it's really helped with my anxiety problems. i'll definitely be careful not to take it on drinking nights.

I was taking it for several days when I started noticing that I felt very dizzy and had that room spinning sensation when I'd lay down to goto bed. I would also get very dizzy from lifting weights. Never noticed any problems from drinking with it but I don't remember drinking and taking it in the same night either. I did take 50 mgs with 1 gram of tylenol and 50 mgs of benadryl. Had a huge test the next day and woke up feeling very off. Fucked up horribly on the test. Fuck 5htp is how I feel now. I don't need it and upon hearing this seizure stuff I don't want it.

You can get Seratonin Syndrome just from taking 5-htp?! Holy shit, I thought you had to AT LEAST stack 2 very strong seratonin acting drugs...like MDMA and LSD