PDA

View Full Version : car searches

Chris_On_E
11-11-2003, 06:38
hey the party coming up (at a tourist venue near Ballarat)... just wondering(or paranoid!) about the search of cars they advertise on the flyer.

the flyer says every1 will b searched, is this true? and how well do they search?

i no its paranoia on my behalf but im travelling up to Byron Bay the next day w\ 4 mates for a week, so were got a number of illegal substances in the car, really dont wanna get caught!

thanks heaps.

[Edit: I have removed the name of the venue, in line with the Guidelines. Most people here will catch on to which country Victoria venue you're talking about in conjunction with police roadblock breath-testing and drug sniffer dog car searches. BigTrancer]

Psychadelic_Paisly
11-11-2003, 07:07
eat them in a baggy and shit them out :D

fuck, i dunno. It's kinda tough to say on here as cops trawl this site. Maybe someone who's been there can help you out with a pm or something

pill_jockey
11-11-2003, 07:10
Hi Chris you might want to read the guidelines about posting venues.

BigTrancer
11-11-2003, 07:37
I think if they have advertised on the flyer that ALL CARS WILL BE SEARCHED then there's a good chance that there will be a large number of staff searching cars. If I went I would go assuming that my car would be subject to a thorough search, just to be on the safe side.

BigTrancer :)

Complete Random
11-11-2003, 08:44
Does anyone know if there is a set proceedure for searching a car? ie places where they will always look.

Obviously storing illicit substances in your glovebox would be asking for trouble, but if every car at this event is going to be searched, i doubt that they are going to be pulling up car lining and doing thorough searches. Either hedge your bets on finding one or more conspicuous nooks in your car or don't bring them. Maybe you can seal and pack it away in your byron luggage. :\ Isn't there anyway you can avoid bringing it all with you? Pick it up after the event, might be a pain in the ass, but sure bets getting busted with it.

pill_jockey
11-11-2003, 09:07
Well i'll just give you my experience about searching cars.

I was pulled over for speeding and the officer was a complete dick saying his sick of you "hoons" thinking you own the road and stuff. So he asked if i could get out of the car so he could search it, I had nothing with me so i had no objections (If there was something in my car i would not of allowed it and would have called my lawyer.) So the officer searched the car he checked every pocket under the seats, ash tray, in the boot including under the spare tyre and in the little bag where the tools are kept to change the tyre he check under the hood of my car looking in the corners to see if anythign was straped there, inside the wheel arch, down the cracks in the rear seat and inside light on the roof??? After abotu 20 minutes of searching he wrote me 3 tickets!!!(For various modifications i have done to my car which were later deemed to be legal after i got an engineers report and went to court.) and told me he didn't want to see me again. Very strange indeed. I have been pulled over many times (I drive a pretty highly modifed car so i get a fair bit of attention from the police.) but this is the only time my car had been searched. Since then anytime i'm driving with drugs on me they are always down the pants. ;)

BigTrancer
11-11-2003, 09:08
They had searches last year AT the venue looking in car boots and cabins for 'fireworks'... however later in the night a roadblock booze-bus setup was placed down the road by police, a little way up the hwy, ostensibly for breathalyzing drivers. I recall that those blowing an alcohol reading were directed to drive over into a parking area, where their cars were snifferdogged to search for drugs. That's as far as I can remember from what I'd heard from witnesses (ie. second-hand info, I actually drove through the roadblock before they had commenced breath-testing). I assumed that the presence of some alcohol in the drivers blood (or maybe the presence of people in 'raver' clothes, who knows?) gave the police reasonable cause to search the car further.

As far as I can remember the flyers for the last party warned that every car WOULD be searched for fireworks, and many were searched in a more or less cursory fashion by agents of the organisers. That was fairly much expected, it was the roadblock and snifferdogs that caused the fuss last time. If they have dogs, it doesn't matter where you hide your stuff IMO, you're a goner... best hope is to avoid all marijuana for days before hand and hope the dogs are only trained to smell that.

BigTrancer :)

Boomslang
11-11-2003, 09:35
At a large outdoor event recently in Sydney (on the long weekend), all cars were seacrched upon arrival. They had a quick glance in thru the windows and a poke and a prod in the boot and that was it. They were just searching for alcohol though. Things like utes were checked a bit more thouroughly. They really did a half assed job though. When they asked if we had any alcohol we said yeah, just a couple of beer, jd's that we hadn't yet consumed (it was a bit of a road trip, but we made it there very quickly funnily enough... we must have had the wind behind us or something).. they said ok, no probs, just pull over to the side, polish them off then you can drive thru. We pulled over to the side drank the drink we had in our hand, then drove thru with another 6 bottles still in out possesion. Our mates really had it all sussed out. They stashed a nights supply of alcohol on top of the spare tyre (underneath the ute) and got it all thru no probs.

My question is.. are the event staff searching the cars for alcohol/fireworks etc?.. or are they really looking to find drugs?.. I really doubt they would be looking for drugs.. they wouldn't find 1% of the stuff people will try to bring in. They won't be searching pockets surely, so theres 80% straight thru..

Macey
11-11-2003, 10:10
i plan to be at this event as well......... LEGALLY are they allowed to search us? i.e in our pockets/wallets/socks etc?

pill_jockey
11-11-2003, 10:14
You have the right to refuse to be searched but then they also have the right to refuse entry.:\

Boomslang
11-11-2003, 10:30
^^ Exactly.

hoptis
11-11-2003, 12:32
Originally posted by BigTrancer
They had searches last year AT the venue looking in car boots and cabins for 'fireworks'... however later in the night a roadblock booze-bus setup was placed down the road by police, a little way up the hwy, ostensibly for breathalyzing drivers. I recall that those blowing an alcohol reading were directed to drive over into a parking area, where their cars were snifferdogged to search for drugs. That's as far as I can remember from what I'd heard from witnesses (ie. second-hand info, I actually drove through the roadblock before they had commenced breath-testing). I assumed that the presence of some alcohol in the drivers blood (or maybe the presence of people in 'raver' clothes, who knows?) gave the police reasonable cause to search the car further.

With the drug driving legislation to be enacted next year I wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming party at (country venue) is used as a litmus-test for these new devices, even though police might not have the legislation behind them to enforce or charge anyone for drug driving.

Considering sniffer dogs were used in February and they're rarely seen anywhere else in Melbourne... could be a possibility. Not trying to freak anyone out but it's no secret that the police up there don't like the parties and have been trying to shut them down for a while.

])3ath
11-11-2003, 12:55
so if im hypothetically drving back from a rave and this drug test bus pulls me over and i test positive can i be charged?? i mean like if this happened tomorow? or would i just be used as a test.

randomblondeboy
11-11-2003, 13:17
anb article in last weeks beat mentions that part of the introduction of these tests is that you can only be charged for driving under the influence of an illegal drug...nothing more. dunno how much truth there is to it...and even if there is, wether the cops will pay any attention to it...

Chris_On_E
12-11-2003, 03:58
yer i thought bout the drug buses 2, its the perfect place to implement them cos isnt there only one way out? last night friends and i sat down and worked out some good things we can store them in, wont list them just incase but yer thanks 4 the help anyway. hope every1's who is going will have mad time and good luck w\ the searches!

Joellercoaster
12-11-2003, 05:28
Regarding the search for fireworks - that really is what the event staff are looking for, they aren't just "looking for fireworks", wink wink.

Noise complaints are a problem for that event, which is already facing a very vocal anti-raver "movement" (if you want to call it that) from elements of the local community.

Fireworks are dangerous, and there are idiots who bring them every year. Hopefully they get busted before they can let them off.

That's party security though. The police searches of cars are a different thing - non-zero BAC is apparently "reasonable" grounds for further search, as, I imagine, would munted-looking drivers be. Which, frankly, sounds OK to me. Since the legislation involving saliva testing doesn't arrive until next year, any talk of a "pilot" study at the event is just talk. If there's no law that says they can spit-test you yet, then you don't have to let them.

DISCLAIMER: Despite being active on various fora discussing the event being mentioned, I am not employed by and do not speak for the organisers of that event. This is all FOAF stuff.

melburn_madness
12-11-2003, 18:33
i am going to be at this EVENT but if by change the rude little piggys are out with their little spit testers they can only pick up weed and speed right?

cause i met this guy 1 nite whoes got a mate whoes a cop and they had just gotten the new testers down at the station bout 3 weeks ago.... he also said it picks up on everything from weed - heroin - valium - Ecstacy.... even G!
AHH
well i dunoo does anyone exactly wot it picks up on?
and further more how long after a reefer/line of speed would i be able to drive again in?
help?
thanks 8)

Psychadelic_Paisly
12-11-2003, 23:44
^^^^^ For all your drug-driving information needs.
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99241&r=101

dexter_stayne
13-11-2003, 02:45
heres my 2 cents. there were car searches at an event recently. but with SO many cars, they coudln't be that thorough. they are mainly looking for weapons and alcohol, so keep any drugs on ur person or concealed WELL in your car. and yes they do look in the glovebox
snigger

greenmoon
13-11-2003, 10:43
A outdoor event about a year ago and our cars were searched but no glove boxes etc, it was obviously about sneaking people in - well that's what they said anyway - they actually caught a guy I know stashed in the back seat and they just had a chuckle and made him pay.

melburn_madness
14-11-2003, 04:27
i've found a nice little hiding spot get ur ciggy deck and take out all cigarettes, and gently pull the foil out make sure u dont pull it out of shape, put ur goodies in the bottom of the deck then put the foil back over it then put ur ciggys back in and ur set ! :):)

dexter_stayne
14-11-2003, 04:36
or just in ur wallet.. jeez they arent THAT anal.. they're more worried about u bringin a knife or gun in

Cowboy Mac
14-11-2003, 18:01
my advice: park your car 10km+ from the party. the more the better. call a cab in ballarat and get them to pick you up/drive you back to your car, if everyone chips in it would make it cheaper. this way you are able to bypass any roadblock/police presence without giving them an opportunity to search you or your car.

phase_dancer
14-11-2003, 21:20
^^ That's got to be some of the best advice ever. Cheap insurance if you ask me

BigTrancer
15-11-2003, 01:57
Agree totally.

BT :)

kryalkastleE
15-11-2003, 06:03
^^^^^^^^^^

indeed but then no oppurtunity for nangs in the car *awwww*

he he he :)

BigTrancer
15-11-2003, 08:44
LOL ... personal sacrifices are necessary in any war ...

pill_jockey
16-11-2003, 07:51
You could always fill up a heap of balloons and pretend to be a balloon sales man????? 8(

phase_dancer
17-11-2003, 04:33
I once saw a guy at a rave who had tanks of nitrous and helium. He was also selling a variety of big balloons. Over 18 and the choice was yours :)
Despite a big police presence, he operated in the open...err.. well almost. The tanks were kept out the back. Needless to say he made a fortune that weekend as people willingly paid for the convenience. I suggested that next time he add a tank of O2 to the menu (pink lips gas). I heard of no casualties although a rumour circulated that some kids asked for the gas which makes your voice go deep. 8( An invaluable setting was also provided out the back including mattresses, pillows and chairs....which went hand in hand with an ever-changing but fairly consistent number of deflating balloons 8o

Back to topic. If the venue is outside you may think about a drive out to the venue a few days before the event? Pick a nice place, not too far inside/outside the grounds...think carefully (you don't want to return to find a row off portaloos there) and your intentions will remain invisible till you're safe inside. If planned right, a single return will not be likely to attract attention.

But a far better move would be to do as Cowboy Mac suggested and book your cab. You might even go for a top up mission sometime during the night. Use fresh clothes as an excuse if you need You may even find you can drive safely back into the event. At least you'll get to see before venturing. Pick the right cab driver and you may even be able to book ahead knowing of the expected roadside schedule. Freedom and information, don't ya love it ;)