PDA

View Full Version : anxiety

wheelchair
08-11-2003, 02:44
is it uncommon to experience feelings of anxiety on mdma? thanks

DJayIndigo
08-11-2003, 03:30
Not uncommon to me... it is, after all a psyschedelic. If your surroundings ain't right, what can ta do?

vancbc
08-11-2003, 04:51
DJayIndigo is right. Although MDMA generally pushes you into a positive headspace it can and will amplify about any emotion. I have experienced anxiety from things I have seen and experienced while high on MDMA.

TheDEA.org
08-11-2003, 05:41
It mainly depends on your environment and attitude. If there's something scary about your environment (and your standards of what a threat are change when high) then anxiety is just about inevitable. Likewise, if you're afraid of getting high or of something bad happening you're at much greater risk of suffering from anxiety/panic attacks. For a comfortable person in a safe, comfortable environment anxiety would be quite unusual in my experience.

blondie777
10-11-2003, 03:32
I can definitely relate to the anxiety situation. No matter what environment I am in, who I am with or what the conditions, my come up is full of SO MUCH MORE anxiety than my bf's ever is, and we will be on the same pill. so i think it just matters on the person taking it

shezinphx
10-11-2003, 04:54
I don't usually get anxiety while rollin but I do when I think about it. Often when I look back and realize how fucked up I was I start to get anxiety just thinking about it.

My fiance gets anxiety all the time while rollin and he takes this over the counter stuff called Calm Forte. We bought it at GNC and he said it works really good.

Denver007
12-11-2003, 06:32
'Typically' only weak minded people suffer from anxiety while on E. I have only seen emotionally weak people have anxiety problems while on E. Those are some of the very same ones that can't leave a pile of coke alone until it's all gone. For 9 out 10 E is only a positive experience that they enjoy. I guess some people get anxiety when they find a 20 dollar bill on the floor of the grocery store. Some people just have weaker minds than others.

nimble
12-11-2003, 08:19
^^^
um, i'm real sorry, but that really has to be the stupidest thing i've ever heard. well not THE stupidest, but pretty close. people being "weak minded" has nothing to do with it. it has more to do with mindset going in, surrounding, mindset during the experience, and a number of other things. these things have been more or less proven by countless experiences people have shared here and a lot of other places. so, if you can bring us some proof that "weak mindedness" contributes to anxiety, i will happily appologize for calling you a dumbass. and comparing people that get anxiety on E to coke heads is just retarded. the two drugs are an entirely different animal.

Brian Oblivion
12-11-2003, 09:04
^^^
I fully agree!

Brian Oblivion
12-11-2003, 09:22
wheelchair,

I have known several people who have different (atypical) responses to taking E compared to most other people. Many folks experience a sense of anticipation (a sense that something wonderful is about to happen). But one person I met experienced this as dread (that is, at any minute, something terrible was about to happen).

One girl that I knew experienced motion sickness while taking MDMA, and when she took dramamine the motion sickness completely disappeared.

MDMA acts on brain chemistry, and it is possible for a lot of variations in experience (as everyone's brain chemistry is slightly different). If you, or someone you know, experiences anxiety on MDMA it is probably due to either misinterpreting the experience, or because it is actually effecting a specific chemical action in the brain. In which case, MDMA may not be the drug of choice for you (it happens, and everyone is different).

The notion that this is because of a "weak mind" is not only laughable, it is weak minded to even make such a suggestion (and is one of the 'typical' descriptions found in redneck psychology). 8)

Si Ingwe
12-11-2003, 20:03
This is one of the reasons I've found the effect of MDMA and marijuana very similar. I could just as easilly feel paranoid as have a nice mellow high on either of those drugs.

The action of MDMA causing anxiety or other negative mental effects has been a subject of curiosity for many years. Nicholas Saunders said in one of his early editions that he thought anxiety effects from the drug were a very grounded individuals way of resisting the drugs liberating effects. The ecstacy of loosening muscles, open feelings of freedom and oneness with nature and the physical rushes can be worrying or even quite frightening for some people. Obviously enviromental condtions, previous and present state of mind and all the other usual aditions are still active.

In extreme cases the combination of MDMA's physical effect (especially a strong pill on a small person or first timer) and the feelings of what might eventually amount to severe panic could ultimately be quite serious.

One of the E trips I regret most was when a mate lost the plot on the way home & tried to get outta the cab, in the dark doing 60mph. Took me an hour crouching in the pouring winter rain to talk him down 8o

Si Ingwe
12-11-2003, 20:11
...coz when the cab finally came to a halt near my house, he struggled outta our clutches, tumbled outta the backseat and hid under a hedge:\ =D

Denver007
12-11-2003, 23:25
If you can't handle your drugs, then simply abstain from them. How's that for 'redneck psychology'? Simple logic. If you get anxious on E, then do fucking do it...

kerosika
12-11-2003, 23:52
You must be pretty dumb Denver. I know people who took e for hundreds of times without problem but one day they just had a panic attack(this is not the kind of panic that can be described, it very overwhelming, people think that they are having a heart attack usually, they can't breathe, etc.) This anxiety and panic attack are mainly related to the change in the chemical balance of the brain. So I think the same way with the others, this is an ignorant, senseless, uneducated redneck psychology.

Sleaze
13-11-2003, 00:03
Ecstasy isn't for everyone... Just like any other drug - personally I love Ecstasy, but not a big fan of Speed at all.

There are too many factors to mention WHY Ecstasy may make you feel a sense of anxiety. I think 'Brian Oblivion' has summed it up quite well.

Although MDMA may effect our brains in similar ways, the way in which each individual person interprets those changes is where the anxiety will begin. I guess for some people those changes can be scary, for others the change can just simply be uncomfortable - why? Well again, there are just too many factors to mention.

I also think your mind-state before taking the drug has a big effect as well during your roll.

Denver007
13-11-2003, 05:37
Kero-cock-sika - I didn't personally attack nor direct any portion of my responses toward you. Now you had to make this personal you stupid, little prick...

Let's stop the personal attacks. If one has an opinion voice it witho0ut being personal. The same should go for rebuttals. Also no one mentioned that their suppossed anxiety attack happend on the 1001st time like you describe. What you used as an example was an exception and not the rule. You are providing data that is senseless for your argument. The implication of the thread was that someone 'typcically' or 'mostly' gets anxious while on E. Don't get it twisted to support your weak argument. And stop with the personal attack and name calling.

kerosika
14-11-2003, 22:48
I am very very very sorry Denver Bond.

Sander
17-11-2003, 04:16
I believe that the point of this thread is to address the issue of how anxiety is related to MDMA use rather then to draw generalizations about who should or should not roll.

It is my opinion that anxiety is really a matter of perspective. Whenever I roll I consider the tradeoffs that are associated with a less restricted conciousness. Yes MDMA can be very recreational or "happy" experience but lets remember, this substance was used by psychologists back in the 70's to council marriage relationships.

When I roll, I like to think of my anxiety as a good thing - something to get my head around. I see the anxiety as being my own, the presence of the MDMA in my system just makes me honest with myself. And I figure that if I can get around anxiety in this more challanging head space, then I will be better off in my every day life.

Insane Platypus
18-11-2003, 05:41
Anxious people are not 'weak-minded'. Sheesh.

People have different reactions to drugs - it does NOT mean they are 'weak-minded'.

RustyBickie
18-11-2003, 06:56
I get anxious before i roll, but i can't say it has happened to me during a roll. Does the feeling last for the duration of your roll or is it just for a brief period of time? A bit more info would be good. But as others have said different people different reactions.

RB

superbabydoc
18-11-2003, 08:58
Denver007: now who's making personal attacks? kerosika had the decency to apologise to you, so you can either apologise in return or get a CLAWS (Conflict Log and Warning System). And your comments about anxiety being due to a weak mind are complete rubbish and offensive to anyone who suffers from anxiety.