• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

THC content in buds

Splatt

Ex-Bluelighter
After reading silverfucked's post in the [MEGA] Cannabis Slang thread. I was a bit shocked at the levels of THC in buds these days. 15-20%? I remember reading on overgrow most pot was 5% or under, and strains like Northern Lights were 7-14%? I dont know the figures as I'm not great with remembering numbers, and right now, the Overgrow forum is down for maintenance. SO I was wondering, sicne I've heard quite a bit of difference from people.. who can tell me what the average percent of THC is in good hydro buds (let's say A(+) grade) and also regular strength hydroponic buds.

Any sources for this information would be greatly appreciated too, but stories about a friend of a friend telling you there is 30% THC in buds won't really help.

I'd say 90% of the numbers you hear are bullshit. Someone does a study on some pot and finds it has 9% - which is pretty damn good. Someone starts telling people and soon it's 10% because it is easier to remember.

Then someone has different nugs and says: "Oh, yeah? Well this shit is even better - must be like 15%!" and so on and so forth. Within weeks you have people claiming they have 30-50% pure thc buds - which is starting to boarder on the technically impossible.

I would be skeptical of any figure not derived directly from a GCMS and quoted in a scientific paper...

--- G.

unless they were GM buds, you could create crazy potent buds. :D

Well those percentages 15-20 aren't way off.
The cannabis they sell in dutch pharmacies are Bedrocan (18% dronabinol (THC) and 0,8% cannabinol) and SIMM 18 (15% dronabinol (THC) and 0,7% cannabinol).
Some species in the shops have even more then that, Im sure. But there are alot of species with less I guess :).
The cannabis you smoke here in Holland is really heavy. Well for me it is anyway. You smoke a decent joint with some friends and you are really on your ass. It isnt always nice, most of the time it's just too intense.

I had to go to an alcohol and drug education class a few years ago and even their sources were inconsistent. One sheet said it was 5-10%, another 14-20% and one video spouted off an unbelievable 40%. Hrm...

Feminised White Widow grown perfectly should yield 20+% THC.. Of course this is pretty much unheard of on the streets.. Most street weed is under 10%.. Pretty much, if your weed has seeds its not gonna be much more than 10%.THC is contained in the pollen, and females produce waaay more pollen unfertilized..

I would never trust a dealer to know the potency unless he bought the seeds, got it from BC or Amsterdam, or ran tests.. But yes there is weed out their that strong. 20-22% is the highest youll ever find.... Really good weed is gonna be in the 15% range, average probably 8-10% and shitty weed under 5%.

silverfucked said:
.THC is contained in the pollen, and females produce waaay more pollen unfertilized..

females don't produce pollen, males do.

Yeah, he actually meant to say "trichomes" - which are a different part of the plant. Trichomes are epidermal hairs that cover the aerial surface of most plants known to science.

Their use seems to vary depending on species and are not completely understood in all cases:

Studies have shown that trichomes act as barriers against pests. In many cases if a pest cannot easily access a leaf it will not chose that leaf to feed upon. Modifications of the number of trichomes and the branching patterns could provide resistance to some devastating pests.

A common function of trichomes is to produce various classes of secondary metabolites. When a trichome is ruptured these molecules are secreted onto the leaf in the form of a resin or oil. This gives plants their scent as well as protecting the surface of the leaf. Many trichome-secreted compounds are used commercially as flavourings and medicines. The resin also acts as a detterent because small pests can get caught in it and in many cases the metabolites are toxic to invaders.

http://www.usask.ca/agriculture/pla...ts_2003/mikel/Trichome_Biotech/whytrics2.html

--- G.

there are plants that have had 30% or more THC in them, however, most strains have between 10-15%, maybe 20%

i wonder how u could test the potency?

i guess u'd need a lab or something?

oh man, gm weed, how good would that be :)

fuck, think of it u have like 1 cone and its like 10

Genetically Modified - it is just hypothetical - but in theory genetic engineering could produce "super-pot" :)

--- G.

Well, selective cross breeding is a way of genetically modifying your weed.. Which is why a feminized purebred white widow is gonna be 1000x better than some ditch weed you grew from seeds from your stash.

silverfucked said:
But yes there is weed out their that strong. 20-22% is the highest youll ever find.

A while ago on the Cannabis Cup overhere in Holland, me and 2 other friends ended up with a couple of people who won the Cup the day before.. The weed they grew contained >28% THC. Weird enough, that wasn't the best smoke I've had. Certainly one of the most tasty tho.. :)