Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Drugs raid on Army barracks

Psychadelic_Paisly

Bluelighter
Drugs raid on Army barracks
By staff reporters
13oct03
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,7543803%5E1702,00.html

POLICE raided Australian Army barracks in Darwin today after receiving tip-offs about drug use by army personnel.

Military Police and Northern Territory Police raided Robertson Barracks in Darwin earlier today, the army said.
An officer at the barracks told NEWS.com.au the raids had been planned for "some time" and the operation would continue this afternoon.

The army will have to wait up to a week for urinalysis results before any further action is taken.

"The raids targeted against individuals from a number of units," Brig Ashley Power said.

"This should in no way demean the excellent work undertaken by the vast majority of personnel within 1 Brigade, most recently seen in Exercise Crocodile 03.

"The Brigade is well known for its professionalism and dedication to duty.

He said the "outstanding performance" of the 5/7 RAR Battalion Group on its recent deployment to East Timor was "further evidence of the quality of the soldiers within 1 Brigade".

A urine testing program for the detection of illegal drugs has been in place since 1995.

It is not routine or random, but any soldier, regardless of rank, may be asked to submit a urine sample if they are suspected of the use of illegal drugs.

Brig Power said the Army had a "zero tolerance" approach towards drugs.

"The Military Police will continue to thoroughly investigate such allegations," he said.

"Soldiers who have been found to have any involvement in the use of illegal drugs will have their service reviewed and they may be dismissed from the Australian Army."

"It is extremely disappointing that a small number of soldiers have put their health, their careers and the safety of their mates in danger by using illegal drugs.

"Military Police have worked closely with Northern Territory Police in the past months to ensure the success of this operation."

There were no details of the number or ranks of the personnel forced to submit samples in the wake of the raids.

Last year an army investigation found some soldiers were using steroids to help gain weight and increase stamina and self-confidence.

Senior officers ran a campaign to warn soldiers against using performance-enhancing substances, which are illegal under army discipline law.

It is not yet known what substances are the subject of today's raids

Last edited:
He said the "outstanding performance" of the 5/7 RAR Battalion Group on its recent deployment to East Timor was "further evidence of the quality of the soldiers within 1 Brigade".

Well maybe the drugs aren't doing so much harm...?

you stupid cuntface!

I"ve allready left comments around bluelight before about drug use in the military - u wouldn't believe how high it is and how easy it is to pass a drug test

yeah i got a few mates based up in Darwin, they are absolutely outta control. Many of them are on the chems, but they also have a shitload of illegal weapons, ranging from stuff they got on the black market to stolen military hardware. Most soldiers live off base where these random searches aren't an issue. It is much better to get caught by the local police force rather than the Military police

yerrrr this thread dont surprise me...........
not long ago my mates were telling me how this guy was smoking up on the firing range, then lettin off a few rounds........ and that aint the half of it.

In the army your subject to both military and civillian law, so if you get busted by civillian cops you can then also be punished by the military system to.

As for the rights and wrongs of drug use in the army, I would like to point out that considering the nature of their work, it really is not a great idea.

i have no problem with the soliders doing drugs, as along as it dosen't effect their work, they do it in their spare time, and it's in moderation.

i just hope that no 3's were involved in the raid. what a waste!! seriously though, i'm with enwarp on the basis that they can do drugs so long as they don't affect their work. its all about moderation

Fair nuff bout the "not interferring with work argument" except how do you judge that. With most jobs if the boss rang at 3 in the morning and told you to get to the office you'd could tell him to fuck off. BUt wat happens if the Prime Minister rings at 3 and says WWIII has been declared.

I know it might sound a little farfetched - but in theory the guys in the military need to be ready for anything at any time. How would u be able to define whether someones drug use was interferring with their work under those conditions???

Nice Tits

Didnt american fighter pilots take speed during the gulf war ? just a little rumour i heard mind u...seems the government gave it to em..just what i heard dont hold me on that

There are many threads on amphetamine use by soldiers in the military. Please search for further information.

BigTrancer :)

There are all sorts of jobs for which drug use is more or less acceptable. I knew a guy who ran a very successful up-market business employing many nite life people for day work. He had a simple but strict policy on E. Nothing 4 hours before work. Now that may have worked in that situation but any job involving the use of dangerous equipment or requiring quick and vital decision making, should see all drug taking reserved to periods which allow sufficient recovery. No-one in charge of a gun should be out of it, at anytime.

Most of this was orchestrated by the NT News up here.

Just part of the ongoing witch hunt that I occassionally comment on and that the rest of Australia is blithely unaware of. The above posts are pretty hilarious really, ignorant of the fact this is actually part of an orchestrated zero tolerance campaign by the NT govt which is seeing pot-heads of all ages and backgrounds being locked up as part of a politically motivated and media driven frenzy to blame dope for everything from crime to car accidents. Coming to state government near you very soon.