Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS : Ecstasy Alone Is Enough to Kill

Dirtycarrot

Bluelighter
Heres some exciting research ...
Sept. 24, 2003 -- The "club drug" ecstasy may be deadly enough on its own to make a clubgoer's night out their last, a new study shows.

New research shows that one in six people who died in England and Wales after taking ecstasy had not taken any other drug. Researchers say it's the largest study to date on ecstasy-related deaths and should clear up the myth that the club drug is only lethal when mixed with other drugs or alcohol.

"This clears up the debate once and for all -- ecstasy alone can kill," says researcher Fabrizio Schifano, MD, of St. George's Hospital Medical School in London, in a news release.

Ecstasy Kills

The study, published in the October issue of Human Psychopharmacology, shows that the number of ecstasy-related deaths has risen in England and Wales each year since 1996.

The number of deaths rose from two deaths in 1996 to 72 in 2001-02.

Researchers found three out of four of the victims were under 29 years of age and four out of five victims were male.

The study also found that in 17% of the deaths linked to the club drug, the victim had taken no other substances, such as alcohol, cocaine, amphetamines, or opiates, before his or her death. But researchers say they are concerned that ecstasy may be even more deadly when used in combination with these drugs.

"Many people now combine ecstasy with alcohol at the beginning of the evening to get a greater high, then use drugs like cocaine or amphetamines to prolong the effect, before taking opiates or high doses of alcohol to calm themselves down at the end of the evening," says Schifano, "and it's a potentially lethal cocktail."

Researchers say death from ecstasy isn't quick. They say it takes several hours for the hyperthermia (rise in body temperature) and brain swelling caused by the drug to take effect.
Taken from http://content.health.msn.com/content/article/74/89191.htm

one in six of related deaths.
so out of ALL the deaths from PMA/MDMA etc etc etc.....

one in six out of them died was from MDMA only........... sounds like you got more chance of being struck by lighting or run over by a car.

I dunno, this report sounds like another scare tactic to me.

and they say death is slow..... gee in a few hours it would be pretty damn obvious something is wrong.

^^ You can't blame journo's for trying :)

old news anyway...
small risk of death. Approximately 2 per 100,000 users have extreme negative reactions resulting in death. (rare)
From Erowid.

You can say the same thing about Asprin ffs.

If a person has an allergy to any drug it can kill.

Researchers say death from ecstasy isn't quick. They say it takes several hours for the hyperthermia (rise in body temperature) and brain swelling caused by the drug to take effect.

I assume they're talking about two different causes of death: by "brain swelling" they mean hyponatremia (which as far as I know isn't related to a rise in body temperature).

Two EASILY avoidable fates, if you have a LITTLE education about the substance you're using.

The death rate from car accidents is higher, yet we still drive each day.

I think its up to an indivdual to take this information and do with it what they wish.
The media and society in general love to point out as often as they can, that drugs are bad for us.
Same old...same old....

In five years it looks like little has changed.

Alcohol and Tobacco still kill more people then all other illegal drugs combined.

Alcohol and Tobacco are still legal.

A rational approach to drug use is still nowhere to be seen. The best we can all do is to party safe to prove that these drugs are not the evils they depicted to be by the media.

I loved the catalyst story on "Shulgin, Cacti and MDMA". That was the first Positive drug story I have seen in a long time on Mainstream media. Cars don't kill people, its irrational, impatient and erronous driving that kills people.

Just as it is an Irrational, Impatient and Erronous approach to drugs, drug use and drug abuse that kills people.

I guess thats why less people do die from illegal drugs. They are afraid they might die when they ingest something, therefore they don't take it lightly. However, most people do not realise that every time they step in the car they have a certain probability they won't be getting out again alive.

Well, thats my rant.

Keep partying having fun safely peeps! :)

Well put Leprechaun.

Another thing we shouldn't forget about MDMA is it's potential to exacerbate or trigger pre-existing conditions. As heart disease is so prevalent in Australian society we shouldn't disregard effects from MDMA which are known to increase risk of heart attack. I've become more and more concerned about this; perhaps it becomes more apparent as you get older seeing the attitudes people take by using the drug knowing full well they are at risk.

20.gif
+
24.gif
=
4.gif
but do most of these people really know what these risks are?

For many of these people every other aspect of their lives revolves around protecting their heart. i.e. food intake, regular exercise, reducing work related strss, daily medication etc. But not so with their use of MDMA. Most drug users who are aware they have a disposition towards heart trouble (family history, lifestyle, health etc.) also seem to usually know the dangers of using coke or speed. But in my experience most tend to regard MDMA as being way less dangerous. It is for these reasons that I don't encourage anyone over 40 to take MDMA for the first time. The exception may be with someone who has previously received the OK from their GP and fully understands the risks.

I believe it's simply too risky to do otherwise. Sure other drugs are bad, some like coke being far more dangerous perhaps. But body temperature increase, dehydration, rise in BP and increased fluid retention - to name a few- are all dangerous conditions if cardiovascular problems exist. And doing all the right things; correct intake of H2O, being in a cool environment, no poly use, etc. may make little or no difference to the physiological effects of the drug.

I want to know what they really mean by no other drugs being consumed. Do they mean that blood tests were conducted and no other drugs came up in the persons system OR that the person did not KNOWINGLY take other drugs ie they only had a pill sold to them as ecstacy (ie subjectively they thought it was MDMA) and didnt have any lines of meth/coke etc but the pill itself still could have had something in it like PMA.

Not sure if that makes sense but I'm trying to get at whether they KNOW they died of ecstacy alone, or they are speculating like they do in the media by labelling any death from a pill as ecstacy-related when it is often something else in the pill that kills.