• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Why do we want to get high?

Feonix

Bluelighter
Why is it that people feel the need or want to get high? I don't mean the obvious reasons, such as to feel good, have fun, ect. I mean when your sitting around some day bored and you start wondering what kind of shit you can smoke, or snort, or eat to get high. Basically, why do people hear how horrible drug experiences are with nutmug, or datura, or dramamine then they decide to do it anyway just to get high? Why do some humans just WANT to be not sober all the time?

Because for some people life is a pain in the ass and being high makes it easier. For others being high is a social thing that helps them make connections with others. Yet other people do it to take the edge off after a long day of comforming to society's expectations and pressures.

There are as many reasons as there are people doing it. Why discount the obvious reasons, they are probably the ones that are correct?

For me it is because I feel I am not getting enough out of life when I am sober. I look to whatever I can to feel something differrent, something that gives me a new perspective. I do like being high, but more and more nowadays I don't appreciate it like I once did because I have become tolerant to it's effects. If it was just as magical as it was I would probably still be doing it, but I have come to learn that such experiences are just that, experiences, not a lifestyle. Pity really, because they were such cracking times.

There's a species of bird that smashes it head against rocks to get 'high'.
read that on here somewhere...

Because reality didn't turn out the way I thought it would when I was a child.. And I keep refusing to accept it. I want out, but I don't. That's why.

-We want to feel good/have fun
-We are bored and need something to do, a drug takes little effort and takes the boredom away
-We are in physical pain or addicted to the drug

about all I can think of

I agree with the previous posts on the issue.

as well,
For some it has to do with life being a pain in the gulliver ;). And this pain is the product of an individuals experiences from childhood to present. And this individual finds temporary relief buried in their drug induced 'high's'...unfortunatley it is not a fix nor a remedy.... I think a lot of people think they find 'love' for their first time whilst in a state of 'high'. They didn't get it from their pair of creators (parents) and it has created a void in their hearts...thus a void in their being...they find a temporary fill of the void from the drug...they become addicted to the drug...novelty wears off and the 'high' isn't the same anymore but they continue attempting at it in hopes of finding that honeymoon moment again (increasing dosages, increasing intervals between use), only to fail, and self destruct.
thank the parents.
(disclaimer: not my story...just an ideal from observation)

I think the individuals that use and abuse substances to the point of destructiveness are the ones that fall in this category most of the time.

The person that is happy and curious and takes interest in experimentation is usually pretty healthy about their usage.

There are many reasons why a person may become fascinated with the 'high'.

I personally try to utilize my 'high' times for self-exploration, spirituality, and finding deeper connections with other beings of life through the alternate eyes that are granted by certain substance induced states of mind. And I don't find the benefits of this approach to getting 'high' as being temporary because they can be learned from and applied to the same things in a state of sobriety...
pushing yourself into the right frame of mind is the trick....whereas with a drug, you are taken to that state of mind involuntarily.

Imagination is a powerful thing.

Humanity simply needs an escape from the rigors of day to day life. That drink or two after work for example. There is a theory, which I whole heartidly agree with, that states that man would have killed itself off eons ago had it not been for intoxicants. Used responsibly and in moderation, intoxicants temporarily relieve the strains of life, and that may be just what a person needs to carry on through life with out snapping. Bear in mind that this is just a theory...

Drugs for me do 2 things, they make me more like the person i would like to be, and they aleviate boredom, giving me a break from reality which i find tedious. Both of these problems have thier own solutions which i need to look for, but drugs work as a quick fix..or a little helper. I have to say that since using drugs, i have become a more open, accepting and thinking person...so it has been very worthwhile

mean when your sitting around some day bored and you start wondering what kind of shit you can smoke, or snort, or eat to get high.

Because they've been getting high regularly for a while, and now its just force of habit if that is the case...

A person who has never done drugs is much more hesitant to try something like ecstacy and most likely would not be looking around the house for some shit to get high off of..

When you use drugs regularly, everything else becomes boring.. you just want to drugs all the time instead of anything else. You get accustomed to just being high all the time and feel uncomfortable when you're not high.

Now this might not apply to everybody, I'm just speaking from my own personal experiences in the past and what I have observed in others. To this day, I still feel like i'm sober again everytime I smoke some weed. I haven't smoked for a while allready and I'm pretty used to it, but I bet if I smoked some weed, i would still get the feeling almost as if I'm back to normal.

Last edited:
conciousness is everything to me. the underlying general point of existance is to live, to witness, to love, to be aware.
to alter the state in which i survive, and perceive everything, is a very very powerful thing.

i just so happen to like altered state. my sober conciousness is not so. kind?

i could, honestly, not ever get high, drunk, fucked up, or whatever ever again and not really care.

yes, i enjoy getting messed up occasionally, but it's not really that important. i think i do it mostly b/c i have nothing else to do.

i was getting fucked up the most when i had no job or responsibility. now that i work fulltime and am working towards the goal of moving accross the county, getting drunk or fucked up in any way, shape, or form is the last thing from my mind.

when i did drugs it was because i was depressed... i had a lot of crazy thoughts running around in my cranium and doing drugs and getting myself fuzzy gave me something else to focus on... i was also coming off a bad relationship and my friends were pretty hardcore users at the time so i was in the right climate to start using... to get myself right i had to walk away from those friends, stop using, and get some help. but i started using because i wanted to have fun and forget about the world for a while... which is something you can do without drugs- i just didn't realize it then...