Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Amphetamine Induced Hallucinations

Psychadelic_Paisly

Bluelighter
Ok, when i was 16 my friend got a hold of a WHOLE load of dexies. It has been told to me repeatedly that dextroamphetamine IS methamphetamine, just pharmacutical grade. But why would the scientific names differ?

anywho,

us being....well stupid 16 year olds....ate almost 30 each over the course of 1/2 a day. we'd never had them before or anything so no tollerance. to get to the point, we both had strong visuals. distorting faces etc. one kids head turned into the shape of a rat for both of us!!!!
what i'm curious about is, is it possible to get hallucinations from meth. i've had a LOT of meth over short periods before but didn't get anything visual at all. it isn't even expected to get visuals from meth. Thing is, on the bottle of dexies it does say that exess consumption can lead to hallucinations.

what is so magical about dexies in comparrision to meth to cause this great 'side effect'

thank ya

Last edited:
it is a mild psycosis that methamphetamine causes, not sure about amph, but if you dont ake a bit of a break when u start to 'trip' out it can lead to a permenant psycosis.
DfI;)

I have tripped out completely on speed before and gone into an amphetamine phsycosis. It was about 6 hours of intense paranoia and I was completely convinced everyone was trying to kill me, even my friends. There were some visuals, I thought everyone was staring at me, talking about me, pointing etc, at a couple of stages i thought I was seeing knives in peoples hands. I heard people say things that weren't actually said.
There weren't a huge amount of hallucinations, my brain just turned every situation around so that I was convinced people were trying to kill me. It was probably scariest night of my life though and wouldn't recomend using amphetamines to achieve hallucinations.

Definately learned my lesson the hard way about not overdoing it.

Dextro-amphetamine, or d-amphetamine is NOT the same as methamphetamine.

BigTrancer :)

As BT said Meth is not the same as amphetamine. Looking at the diagrams below, you can see a CH3 group on the N of methamphetamine. This is the methyl or meth of methamphetamine.

The D or Dextro or dex, stands for how the groups are arranged on the chiral carbon, termed the optical rotation of the molecule (put simply; the direction the molecules deflect light) The L or levo is the mirror image molecule. These are known as enantiomers or optical isomers. Both are amphetamine but they differ greatly in CNS potency, with the D isomer being several times that of the L (which is a good nasal decongestant). If it still seems confusing, check out this old post of mine on the subject. Substitute MDMA for Meth, as they are identical in this regard.

Isomers

Dexamphetamine is made commercially via the ketone process below, which gives a 50:50 mixture of D & L. This is known as benzedrine. The isomers are separated to give pure Dexedrine or D-amphetamine.

Although methamphetamine can be made from the ketone by choosing the appropriate amine during the reduction (producing DL meth), it is hardly ever done in illicit manufacture. This is because natural sources of pseudo and ephedrine as well as that used pharmaceutical preparations are the correct isomers to produce pure D-meth without any need for separation. When the OH is "pulled off" the pseudo, the molecule rotates to the D position.

Hope that offers some clarity

Last edited:
It's called drug induced psychosis, and can be caused by various recreational drugs including, as stated, the various amphetamines (including the MD** drugs), LSD and other hallucinogens, ketamine, etc etc. In fact most of the recreational drugs with the exception of opiates are linked with drug induced psychosis.

An amphetamine-induced psychosis is very different from the visuals Psychadelic_Paisly was asking about. The former is associated with extreme paranoia and agitation, often with auditory hallucinations, eg thinking you're being watched and hearing voices talking about you; believing that the police are outside waiting to arrest you; getting very suspicious of your friends.

However, methamphetamine can cause visuals where no psychosis is present. These would be similar to the visuals caused by trips and MDxx. It is not a psychosis because the person is well aware that they are experiencing a visual distortion. They do not confuse this with reality and find the experience pleasurable. The visuals would be more noticeable in dim light, as in most clubs. Sometimes swirling patterns are seen in the dark, sometimes people appear to have brightly coloured skin or tattoos which disappear up close. Psychadelic_Paisly describes a more extreme visual.

An amphetamine-induced psychosis is more usually associated with prolonged, repeated use of amphetamines in high doses, eg daily use for several weeks, although obviously some people who are predisposed may land in trouble with lower use.

Taking 30 dexies on one day is very risky for other reasons. For one, any amphetamine will raise blood pressure and pulse, so with a huge dose like this there is a risk of, say, heart attack or stroke.

"Sometimes swirling patterns are seen in the dark, sometimes people appear to have brightly coloured skin or tattoos which disappear up close"

That's spot on. we were all positive that the dexies caused my eyes to go a STRONG blue. i mean REALLY FLURO blue. maybe that was a part of the visuals as well.

D&AWg: a diagnosis of substance induced psychosis can be made when either hallucinations or delusions are present. What you describe is the more severe form of the disorder, and this is certainly the vision most people would get when they hear the words "drug induced psychosis". Psychotic symptoms in an individual may however range from mild to severe. If a clinician chose to, following DSM-IV criteria, they could diagnose amphetamine induced psychosis on the symptoms described above, providing, as you rightly point out, that the individual is not aware the symptoms are caused by the drug. (I couldn't sense whether or not this was the case from the first post.) DSM Criteria for Substance-Induced Psychotic Disorder

dfi said:
it is a mild psycosis that methamphetamine causes, not sure about amph, but if you dont ake a bit of a break when u start to 'trip' out it can lead to a permenant psycosis.
DfI;)
I'd like to see some figures to back this claim up.
To my knowledge, stimulant psychosis rarely, if ever, leads to permanent psychosis.
Strictly speaking, amphetamine 'psychosis' is not psychosis at all, it is a display of psychosis like symptoms.

It's also worth noting that 30 dexies isn't as extreme as it probably sounds.
I'd hazard a guess that they were D5's (5mg tablets), making the total dosage 150mg.
While 150mg is reasonably high by some peoples standards, I wouldn't call it totally mega fuckoff high.

Last edited:
I take between 30-60mg's a day (I have an understanding doctor that prescribes 200 every 3 weeks) and I find that somtimes I get mild visuals at the end of the day. I mainly attribute that to having dilated pupils though.

Dexamphetamine is a fickle drug. If you use it daily you will lose the effects quite fast. But have one or two days off and it's like you are a speed virgin again.

I do however find that illicit methamphetamine has little to no effect on me anymore, I am quite unsure if it is tolerance or if I have rewired my brain LOL