Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Zolpidem (20mg) - Experienced - Wakedream

Phil.McKeer

Bluelighter
Alright, so I was taking zolpidem for a little while back there until my supply ran out and I couldn't get any more. That's fine because it got me through some bad insomnia with no lingering negative effects. It's an awesome drug but as anyone who has taken or heard about it knows, zolpidem aka Ambien can be dangerous, particularly the way I like to take it when I want to get high on it - without the intention to sleep.

+0 - I pop two 10mg tablets on a relatively empty stomach.

+15 - I might be feeling something coming on, maybe...

+20-30 min - Whoop, the effects suddenly kick in. I feel a bit disconnected from my body, light/floaty, and my perception is off in a way I can't put my finger on. "Objects are closer than they appear", like it says on the car mirror, I remember thinking to myself. The letters on the screen as I attempt to type this out swerve around, and in and out, all while pulsing as if trying to escape. Everything is fun, even simple stuff like organizing my desk. I wasn't doing it very well, but it was fun. At this point, most of the effects were bodily and sensory, and not particularly heavy. There is a particular involvement with my sense of sight but I can't really put in words exactly what. A little hazy, shifty, closest thing would be how everything seems to melt on mushrooms or acid, but not nearly as intensely. Still awesome.

+45-60 min - Things are getting a bit surreal. I'm not currently on a boat, but I know that the way the ground is moving below me, I must be on a boat over water. No? I'm in my room? Weird. I know I'm not dreaming, but everything my senses are telling me is that this feels like I'm asleep, and it's exactly like a dream. It was all in the perception. Let's call it "Wakedream". Just weird and hard to explain but I'm sure someone else who has taken zolpidem knows what I mean. There is also complete anxiolysis and a good amount of tranquilization at this point. I'm sure my movements are sluggish, I just can't tell or don't care. Stuff makes you super cavalier. I remember really wanting to go to sleep and have real dreams and see what those would be like. I put a feather in my experiment cap - "I have tripped!", and proceed to make a move towards my bed which we, with the benefit of hindsight, will characterize as a slither.

It went on like that for another hour or so and quickly came down - its very fast-acting and quickly metabolized. The entire time I was happy, stoned in a weird but enjoyable way, and relieved knowing that my bed was waiting for me and I was likely to get more than just 2 or 4 hours of sleep. I had the best damn dreams that night and they were so vivid I was able to repeat and retain memory of them upon waking. It's hard to describe how real the dreams were - I felt like I was still awake, tripping in my room hours previous during the "Wakedream" feeling, that's how real it was. I particularly love drugs that interact with dreams, like opioids, and it seems, at least for me, that the force is strong in zolpidem.

The most vivid dreams ever, asleep or awake! Can't beat that.

Later, that same dose began to lose it's effect slowly. The tolerance curve seems steep on this drug (and I already messed up my tolerance with high doses of xanax). I took zolpidem for a total of 3 weeks, 10mg/night for sleep, 20mg if I wanted to stay up and "trip". No discontinuation syndrome upon cessation. And, the cause of my having found this wonderful drug - the insomnia - went away (mostly). I'm still recovering from kicking a year of subutex and three months of xanax (having kicked a 2 year everyday H binge), all of which have left my sleep schedule out of whack. Some weeks I get by fine on 4-5 hours of sleep a night, some days I actually sleep the normal 7-9 hours (usually if the previous night was shit and I'm zombified), and sometimes I don't sleep at all, but that is getting less and less.

Prospective first-timers should note that I did make sure to stay home so I have immediate access to my bed (I've seen the Z-drugs in beast mode on people and sometimes they can't be roused to consciousness, sometimes they act in unpredictable ways that are not becoming to public venues, etc) and also did an elaborate keys to locks containing keys to locks containing car keys thing in case I sleep-drove. After the first few times I realized i never even moved when I was sleeping and stopped with the heavy security measures. But I do recommend precautions for a first time user to prevent any avoidable accidents. The Ambien Walrus is always waiting in the shadows, ready to take your ass for a drive in your wife's car!

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_zolpidem
substancecode_gabaergics
explevel_experienced
exptype_positive
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
When I took ambien it was like that bad friend that peer l pressures you into doing stupid ass stuff. Id wakeup the next day like what was I thinking.