View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Zoloft, Psychedelics, and Weed

greenuser8

Greenlighter
I have a few questions for the experienced, advice much appreciated.

Firstly, mostly everywhere I've read has said that Zoloft & other SSRI's diminish trips. Some people report feeling nothing.

I tripped last summer, while on 50mg of Zoloft for around 6-8 months.

Both times, I tripped w/ my friend for our first times.

And we both had very, very similar trips. Amazing first 1 tab acid trip, and 1/8 shroom trip.

Then both had bad trips off 2 tabs. Some of the things I saw on my bad trip include seeing my arm skin crawling, my world changing from green to red, and swirling literally everywhere. It was hard to actually look outside my eyes during the headfuck/bad trip.

My question is, I don't really want to dabble in more psychedelics (b/c of mild HPPD case with halos at night). Does anyone else here know why I tripped, or perhaps have experience, with Zoloft and psychedelics?

I've been off zoloft for ~6 months now, and a part of me is curious to see if the zoloft diminished my trips at all, but like I said on all of my trips I was blown out of my mind in some way (fascination or bad trip). My friend and I seemed to be exactly on par while tripping w/ each other also.

I even think I encountered some form of ego death on my 2 tab trip.
I also have one more question:

I smoke weed once a week now, and each time, the high is very acid like and trippy. I can even trip out if I try to, while stoned. It's an awesome feeling. It also "re-aggravates" my HPPD (or just halos/static I should say).

So, in short, my only questions are:

1.) Does anyone else have experience with Zoloft and psychedelics? Is it true I needed to have some diminished effects, even though I felt full blown tripping balls on par with my friend? Does anyone know how exactly, or why it didn't really affect me? A weird part of me is saying "you missed out on some things". Even though, IDK how.

2.) Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the weed high, with enough abstinence, eventually returns to normal?
ps; I don't actually want this just yet, I really enjoy the trippy high. Just thinking years down the road.
Thanks for all the advice.

I was taking 50-100mg sertraline/ZOLOFT in my college days, when Pangea was the dominant land mass. I also hit the weed fairly often up to a point, and ate quite a lot of LSD (and some shrooms), all in mandatory college student chemistry dept manner.
I can't give you any good anecdotes about variability whatsoever when it comes to mixing them.
And, why yes, of course I have some mol. bio stuff to say on this: LSD was shown a couple months ago to lodge itself pretty deep in that HT-2A or whichever receptor--it causes a conformational shift that appears to literally pull a lid down, which would explain the duration and potency, and why a reuptake inhibitor shouldn't have much effect.

The major interaction that is most sad for many of us is of course the complete immunity to MDMA that comes with that class of antidepressant.

I do have an anecdote about your weed situation: me, I have a hard time with it, even pretty much gave it up by the time I was 23 (I still rarely ever use it). I had a hard time trying to explain why, since refusing a joint going around the circle in college is like saying "what's so great about Tibet anyway?" Then I heard a well-known psychonaut from the chem dept. explain that he couldn't smoke weed, because it was "too psychedelic". And I got it. Weed is a TRIP for me, it's not relaxing. Most people don't have true trips at quiet backyard BBQs, and I don't want to smoke weed at them, cause I trip.

There you go, my wisdom transfer is complete, I shall flutter off to pass over.

Was mine not good enough?

Wanted to point out if you're gonna take a survey: weed was always trip--ee, like I was big on sensory distortion (as opposed to going places my mind has never been stuff). That came way before sertraline and any psych.

My PTSD-inducing weed experience (didn't mention here?) happened right after a pretty deep psych introduction, before sertraline.

And at some point, LSD frequent use just coincided with sertraline use. LSD use then was quite pleasant, in fact, even since no real mind-issues with it.

Weed never returned to pre-panic relaxed trip-ee state.

Conclusion: chi square says no correlation