Info YouTube Links and Privacy

dalpat077

Bluelighter
For the sake of interest:

Those that are in the habit of uploading YouTube videos to their proper and personal YouTube account or channel and then posting the links in a post to said videos on here beware if privacy and anonymity are a concern for you. If you're using your real YouTube account: all somebody need do is click on your YouTube avatar pic. on the top left hand corner of the YouTube video as it appears in the post and your full name is revealed and a list of any subscribers to your YouTube channel is shown. Users are furthermore able to then "Subscribe" to your YouTube channel and then have full access to all of your videos on YouTube (as to which videos: it will depend on your YouTube privacy settings for each video).

Just a heads up as I've seen somebody do this today, warned them privately, but no response, so I'm just putting this out there is all.

Alternative, of course, is to create a "throwaway" YouTube channel used only for videos that you wish to display in posts here.

It's worth noting that one shouldn't be promoting one's personal YouTube channel on Bluelight in any case, as per BLUA #15.

Good call and I know. I’ve been looking into alternative platforms but haven’t found much as of yet aside from opentube but I doubt there’s gonna be much knowledge here what that is or trust for that link. I will be taking my battle And posted music videos off my main channel and onto a throwaway however sometime soon. don’t really want a video where I *allegedly* take a hit of meth, off camera mind you on my real account for much longer. If that thread wasn’t gold I’d have just taken it all down.

Im not incredibly concerned about anonymity obviously. People in my real life know that I’m here actually, but I wouldn’t want my employer to see all this. It’d probably be easy as fuck to dox me with all the info I provide. About all I don’t give up on here is my last name and the exact town I live in in Ontario.

my measures so far for video have been to keep my last name off my YouTube channel but that’s about it. I’ll be changing that later on today. I’ll likely be taking down some pictures and making sure that all I upload of myself is unique content to BL only and my name off it completely.

I’ve even thought of changing my username, I’ve donated the required 25 awhile ago in case I ever wanted that but I think I’m pretty settled in here now With over 1000 posts the last few months where I’ve basically detailed my character and life for you guys, and don’t feel like going through the process of readjusting everyone to a new user name at this point.

it is a little dangerous what I do but I don’t regret it. Just need to tighten things up a little bit in my use of media.

It's worth noting that one shouldn't be promoting one's personal YouTube channel on Bluelight in any case, as per BLUA #15.
Fair enough. But a cute and creative video was made by a forum member specifically for the entertainment of, and critique by, the members here and just for fun i.e. it wasn’t promoting a channel as such. Apparently the forum member was told by a mod. to edit the video as it clearly showed the forum member’s. face. Point is: that was a futile exercise for the purposes of remaining anonymous for the reasons I’ve mentioned.

I would imagine that promoting one’s own YouTube channel in its entirety, especially if it contained paid content, would be against the BL agreement without even having to read said agreement.

Last edited:
For the sake of interest:

Those that are in the habit of uploading YouTube videos to their proper and personal YouTube account or channel and then posting the links in a post to said videos on here beware if privacy and anonymity are a concern for you. If you're using your real YouTube account: all somebody need do is click on your YouTube avatar pic. on the top left hand corner of the YouTube video as it appears in the post and your full name is revealed and a list of any subscribers to your YouTube channel is shown. Users are furthermore able to then "Subscribe" to your YouTube channel and then have full access to all of your videos on YouTube (as to which videos: it will depend on your YouTube privacy settings for each video).

Just a heads up as I've seen somebody do this today, warned them privately, but no response, so I'm just putting this out there is all.

Alternative, of course, is to create a "throwaway" YouTube channel used only for videos that you wish to display in posts here.
Thank you for the heads up!!!!!

Good advice @dalpat077. I’ve advised a few members several times about posting their faces. Including the one you are talking about. Doesn’t stop them.

Good call and I know. I’ve been looking into alternative platforms but haven’t found much as of yet aside from opentube but I doubt there’s gonna be much knowledge here what that is or trust for that link. I will be taking my battle And posted music videos off my main channel and onto a throwaway however sometime soon. don’t really want a video where I *allegedly* take a hit of meth, off camera mind you on my real account for much longer. If that thread wasn’t gold I’d have just taken it all down.

Im not incredibly concerned about anonymity obviously. People in my real life know that I’m here actually, but I wouldn’t want my employer to see all this. It’d probably be easy as fuck to dox me with all the info I provide. About all I don’t give up on here is my last name and the exact town I live in in Ontario.

my measures so far for video have been to keep my last name off my YouTube channel but that’s about it. I’ll be changing that later on today. I’ll likely be taking down some pictures and making sure that all I upload of myself is unique content to BL only and my name off it completely.

I’ve even thought of changing my username, I’ve donated the required 25 awhile ago in case I ever wanted that but I think I’m pretty settled in here now With over 1000 posts the last few months where I’ve basically detailed my character and life for you guys, and don’t feel like going through the process of readjusting everyone to a new user name at this point.

it is a little dangerous what I do but I don’t regret it. Just need to tighten things up a little bit in my use of media.

I think you can use Streamable to post a video without making an account or anything and there shouldn't be any identifying data embedded in it. Ofc, if you show your face and stuff, that's pretty much doxxing yourself...

There are a couple of members who while often making very personal and confessional posts and threads have also uploaded their image more than once. I’m not sure whether it is a devil-may-care attitude or something a bit more pathological around needing to be known/accepted or something like that. Whatever it is I do wish they wouldn’t do it. The Selfie Thread was a big mistake.

@Atelier3

It’s largely a don’t give a fuck attitude on my part and a belief that there seriously isn’t enough of a presence on this site to really be worried about anything like law enforcement or much of anyone in my entire county being on here watching closely, let alone watching me in particular closely.

it’s not illegal to be a drug addict where I live, or even a criminal court issue in Canada for someone with a substance use disorder to be in possession anymore. Worst case that’ll happen is I’ll get sent to rehab and get better than this. Then I’d still hang around with the harm reduction mission in mind.

I don’t say much on here that I wouldn’t say to my friends and family in real life. I get to write things out a little more clearly and thoughtfullly than just winging it verbal, but I do basically speak in person the same way that I write.

I’m not someone who’s out to scream it out to the world, I keep a tight circle and that’s it really, with some room for more. I have several people I am close with, but am often alone. Don’t talk shit at work or to in person strangers. Police presence in my life is very low. I say home or just work most days depending what my schedule is. I know the job right now is a little fucked but that’s about to change. It’s back to work and if that fails back to rehab.

Not into the local drug scene very much. No one I wind up meeting whos into meth here is really trustworthy and often crazier than I am. I’m not well known here because I stay out of the druggie drama shit. Mostly, not perfect. Definitely not one of the idiots out wheeling and dealing, spray painting and stealing B and E and banging out my drug “friends” for 20-40 dollar rips or some freak. I am mindful in life more than I think I might appear on BL.

In regards to a harm reduction / addictions community though, and those I’m close with like the family I’m in closer contact with, and my friends. I’m very transparent. I believe in it completely, and I’ve found my real friends and a good situation with many healthy supports by being this way.

I know I must sound incredibly naive. I just don’t share the paranoia a lot of people have about this kind of thing. What I do isnt the greatest, it’s not all legal, it’s not something I’d like my employer to see. But then again. If I ever get clean and this is all behind me then I don’t mind anybody seeing any of it. I’m proud to document my life fully, nearly so.

Anyone who’d hassle me isnt someone I need in my life anyway. Sensitive but not overly afraid of rejection or big changes for the big picture. I’ve been largely transient for a decade and it’s nothing to me to start over if I absolutely have to. Been in some tough shit and conquered or at least survived mostly. Just need to quit this fucking meth.

Law enforcement, don’t really care not likely on their radar. Ive never been charged with anything criminally in my life for a reason, even with all the selfies.

Definitely devil may care. I also think that this level of openness allows more people to glean some kind of lesson from my character and experiences. Whatever they may make of it. I can’t be much help here advising anyone on what to do in X situation or listen very well if aim not available too. What I do is double edged sword. I’m willing to take the risk.

To be honest, there are a few people on BL who I would very much like to know the real me. Some I’d go out of my way to hop on a flight to go visit if they were up for it. But the real-world damage that could be done in my life if people connected real me to some of my posts is very significant. Mainly because of working in Higher Education where, as I am something of a conservative intellectually, the dominant lefties would use what I have posted here to dox/crucify/de-platform me. It’s a dog-eat-dog world working in a university.

These days your classic Enlightenment liberal is considered a reactionary conservative on campus and very much an endangered species.

Hahaha yeah I understand. As much as I say what I’m saying I do get the fear sometimes too. I’m flat out not in that kind of position though to be too worried though.

I may just wind up an advocate for addictions and harm reduction, mental health, whatever if I play my cards right. I really look up to people who are balls out about thier lives and wind up in positions to help others by being the advocate and / or working in the field as someone with lived experience.

I have a profession in CNC but it’s not my dream. Coding is an aspiration for the future too and that’s very much a freelancing kind of gig where I’m not really concerned for a character reference.

maybe I’m mixed up but I have a strong sense of self and a will.. it’s tough though. Pretty lost sometimes actually.

There is nothing wrong about posting about personal things or posting pictures here.
Brave (or high) words those (unless you're incredibly wealthy and never have to work again of course) (in which case go wild and good luck to you). For those less fortunate though and who may have to find employment or are currently employed: not the best advice. Some companies (particularly the big corporate companies) (and job dependent) actually employ certain IT services to do background checks on people (either before employing somebody or periodically while employed) and the contents of these forums (including photographs) are not hidden from the likes of search engines let alone from experts in the field. Couple that with facial recognition software and you're no longer as anonymous as you may think you are or wish to be. What's more: no TOR Browser and VPN is going to prevent such identification. And it's wishful thinking that the world at large is accepting of certain behaviors such as that which is so often detailed here on an hourly basis. Better to err on the side of caution anyway.

And don't go thinking that what you do in your private life is your business and you cannot therefore be prejudiced in any way. Even if that scenario is legislated: an employer will find another way to relieve you of your duties if they are so inclined. The only time this may not hold true is in politics (and even then it's only been a select few who have managed to hold onto their careers but usually only after incurring rather high legal costs) (and even if they've managed to hold onto their political careers their reputations are forever tarnished).

And the above not limited to employment (or politics) by the way.

As for sharing personal information (and assuming you're actually attempting to take measures to remain anonymous here for the reasons given above): be very careful especially when it comes to PM's. Bear in mind that not only can you not delete PM's: but if a forum member is receiving email notifications of PM's sent to them the content of those PM's are sent via email to the forum member and they are quoted within the emails sent so even if all parties leave a PM conversation (theoretically deleting the PM conversation and its contents from the server or site) those emails with their content still exist and there's nothing you can do about them or their content (short of hacking into the forum member's email account and deleting such emails as an example).

And the above applies to ALL forums not just here (although that's not strictly true i.e. some forums do not allow guest browsing and forum contents are therefore hidden from search engines and the like but that's not the case here).

While I'm (almost?) sure you posted in jest: some may take your advice at face value and find themselves in a compromising situation when they least expect it.

It's obviously a personal decision but I think it's a bit naive to post your face, location and other stuff from your personal life multiple times. Call me paranoid but you truly never know who is reading your posts, or who is going to read them in the future, this is a public forum after all.
Ok the risk is not that big for most people, but some bluelighters share so many personal details that a bad intentioned person would be able to connect their account to their real life selves in a couple of minutes.