• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Your Favorite Films of 2012

Chronicle
The Raid
The Cabin In The Woods (easily my favorite movie of last year)
Detention
Django Unchained
Savages
Robot & Frank
For A Good Time Call
Dredd
The Perks Of Being A Wallflower
Sinister
Pitch Perfect
Wreck It Ralph
Skyfall
Life of Pi
Silver Linings Playbook
Fat Kid Rules The World
Looper
Skyfall
Lawless
The Hunter

I was disappointed in:
Seven Psychopaths
Cloud Atlas
Bourne Legacy
Killer Joe
The Dark Knight Rises
Brave
Prometheus
The Divide

The one I was the most surprised I liked:
21 Jump Street

The Grey
Wanderlust (i know what youre saying)
Project X
21 Jump Street
Casa De Mi Padre
Jeff, Who Lives At Home
Goon
The Cabin In The Woods
Dark Shadows
Men In Black 3
Ted
The Dark Knight Rises
The Campaign
The Impostor
Frankenweenie
Zero Dark Thirty
Django Unchained

Dark Knight Rises and Lincoln will be most remembered in my mind as the best 2012 movies. Looper was one of my favorite movies ever (I'm partial to sci-fi future movies) so it'd have to be at my personal top.

I disagree that 2012 was a bad year though. Looking through some of these posts, there are some damn good movies released.

everybody always says 20xx was a bad year for movies

its jsut a thing

More than anything, I'm surprised by the sparsity of these lists. By my recollection, 2012 was probably the best year in cinema in over a decade.

1) The Hobbit
2) Django Unchained
3) Looper
4) The Grey
5) Skyfall
6) Prometheus
7) The Cabin in the Woods
8) Moonrise Kingdom
9) The Dark Knight Rises
10) Rampart
11) Argo
12) The Avengers (yeah, yeah)
13) Cosmopolis
14) The Comedy

Cosmopolis....worst movie ever!
Dredd ...the best and that is the list for 2012

Cosmopolis->I don't think it was the worst movie ever. It was probably one of the best movies of the year that actually had some ideas in it. In my mind its kinda what would happen if all your friends were basically super academically charged and having deep thinking questions. Like going to a coffee shop and discussing the nature of being in relation to your own specific role/job. Life as conceptual art, thoughts turning to actions, actions turning to responses ...

Cosmopolis bored the ever living shit out of me. I have no idea what Cronenberg was thinking. I really wish he would get back to what he does best and that's making horror and sci-fi. I see his next movie, Maps To The Stars, reeks of the same pretentious bullshit as Cosmopolis. Plot: Complex look at Hollywood and what it reveals about Western culture. Oh and Robert Pattinson is in this one, too. Is Cronenberg a closet Twilight fan?

You're really starting to piss me off, Croney.

^^ Considering the B-movie market is dead and the film industry is in the shitter I'd say the only thing Cronenberg can do to sell his art house, Euro films is to buy into the whole Twilight thing. Also the fact that the scripts floating around Hollywood are terrible.

Also the fact that the scripts floating around Hollywood are terrible.

That's not true - there are literally thousands of excellent scripts that make their way through Hollywood on a daily basis. The problem is they don't sell as well as the trite, boring nonsense we've gotten used to.

^^ Considering the B-movie market is dead and the film industry is in the shitter I'd say the only thing Cronenberg can do to sell his art house, Euro films is to buy into the whole Twilight thing. Also the fact that the scripts floating around Hollywood are terrible.

Cosmopolis:
Budget - $20,500,000
Box office - $6,063,556

His art house film made less than a third of its budget. He could have made a horror movie with greater appeal and it would have definitely grossed higher than 6 million. How in the hell did a movie in which the majority of it is spent riding around in a limo cost 20 million anyway? That is absolutely baffling to me. B-movies aren't dead, by the way. They're just not marketed at all. It's as if studios are ashamed of them. Most of the ones I look forward to seeing don't even play at my theater. I usually have to wait until they hit video.

Cosmopolis

should have made 1 million dollars. I only gave that movie 10 minutes of my life and actually that was 10 minutes too long.

Apart from hobo with a shotgun, iron sky, etc. maybe the evil dead remake I don't think there's a bunch being shown in a wide release. Yeah, there's a bunch of them being shown at film festivals, but the age of Cronenberg and Scanners is pretty much over. Its weird because now with digital you can shoot in HD and do CGI effects for pretty darn cheap, I don't think the money is there. People are going to go see Iron Man 3 and very few people are going to see smaller independent movies. The independent movie market and the money has dried up and died. People in hollywood are on repeat saying this. 20 million is a small budget for a movie of this size, basically a mainstream movie. I have my doubts the movie made just 6 mil, internationally it probably made its budget, but i dont have a source for that.

^ Cosmopolis grossed 5.3 mil internationally, 763k domestic (yikes!).

Box Office Mojo

Also, the independent movie market is seperate from the mainstream market. There are still plenty of independent producers out there, not to mention the recent rise of crowd-sourced funding through Kickstarter and similar sites. Hollywood "insiders" are constantly saying that the indie market is 'drying up' because they have more money to be made if they divert the public's attention away from the smaller projects. Basically, don't listen to anything that any Hollywood-type has to say - they make their buck off of lying to and manipulating people.

I sort of put it down to the whole torrent thing and lack of theatre support, although in a major city I found I could probably go out every weekend to a movie, and there was a few theatres that weren`t part of a chain.

It was more watching actor interviews talking about how they get a lot of scripts that are terrible. I don`t really buy into Hollywood too much, but it says a lot when a major movie makes 700k domestically (a movie that for me was pretty decent, engaging)

After having (re-)watched nearly all the (decent-looking) mainstream releases of 2012, I felt an overwhelming urge to revise my list:

1) Django Unchained
2) The Hobbit
3) Looper
4) The Grey
5) Skyfall
6) The Master
7) Moonrise Kingdom
8) The Cabin in the Woods
9) Rampart
10) Seven Psychopaths
11) Prometheus
12) Lincoln