• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Your casket means nothing

JadedTabs

Bluelighter
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -Hunter S. Thompson

Life is nothing without craziness, do you want to be a square or be the person who is willing to be remmebered? If you care about how your body will seem and look when your dead then I feel sorry for you in the sense that there's nothing you can do to stop that constant stress. Life is meant to be enjoyable, fullfill your life and make it memorable so before you die you will be able to recall how much hell you made.

I also live my life with the idea that I should make the most out of each day. But I also want to live a long life in which I am not slowly wasting away from being unhealthy/diseased during the last portion of it. I want to know what it's like to grow old and live the full human life cycle. So for me it's a juggling act. In my teens and twenties I just went all out, I certainly did cause harm to myself in the process but I also had an amazing time and I wouldn't trade it. Now that I'm in my thirties, I take a little more time for rest and I think more about my health. But I still live an exciting and full life. I don't think it's necessary to burn yourself out early or live destructively to live a fully satisfying life.

Life is nothing without craziness, do you want to be a square or be the person who is willing to be remmebered? If you care about how your body will seem and look when your dead then I feel sorry for you in the sense that there's nothing you can do to stop that constant stress. Life is meant to be enjoyable, fullfill your life and make it memorable so before you die you will be able to recall how much hell you made.

To be honest I find your perspective naive and foolish. The wisdom of a young twenty something, from a first world nation. I doubt you'll feel the same way when you're 70 or 80, if you live that long, when the lustful energy of youth has departed and you have more time to just sit and think. Then you may realize you wish you'd done something else with that energy than waste it on craziness that produced nothing of value, for yourself or anyone else. Pissed into the wind.

I'd rather be the square who is still functional for the grandchildren, to provide guidance and joy that they will remember and hold dear, than be some crazy burnout who is either dead or decrepit that no one will actually remember anyway.

Who cares about being remembered? I really don't think hunter s thompson is someone especially admirable or interesting.

But i do value trying to experience as much as possible including quiet times and excitement.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -Hunter S. Thompson

yep. that's one possible philosophy of life.

i tend to believe that the individual has a right to decide what to do with their own life and what constitutes an enjoyable, fulfilling life.

when you titled the thread "Your casket means nothing" i think you meant "My casket means nothing". i'll decide what my casket means, thanks.

:\

alasdair

To quote an old adage - "keep it real, yo." Do YOU. That's the great challenge. It's nice to quote celebrities, but figure out what really gels with you and where you are in life. Think for yourself.

Think for yourself because i won't be there with you.

my personal way is somewhat in between (allthough I'm only in my 20s so I will still learn a lot along the way, at least I hope that I will)... I would never want to live a dull life of decades of the same same, and I want to experience adventures, travel, have intense relationships, accomplish many things. but I also strongly believe that everyone is responsible for the wellbeing of those close to them, because humans are group animals. you depend on others and they depend on you. so I really believe that a lifestyle of excess and not giving a shit about anything (or anybody) is morally questionable. if you kill yourself because of irresponsible drug use or something similar, you gained nothing but made those who love you suffer. that's why I cannot really respect people who put their life willingly in danger just for the kick. nobody is an island.

as every american director knows to be a memorable character one has to go out with a large explosion and a billowing cloud of smoke .

thompson was also ontio this phenomenon commonly referred to as "going out with a bang"

as every american director knows to be a memorable character one has to go out with a large explosion and a billowing cloud of smoke .

thompson was also ontio this phenomenon commonly referred to as "going out with a bang"

In more than one way for him, with the whole self inflicted gun wound/being shot out of a cannon thing.

Depends on your life path I guess.

There's nothing wrong with a life of peace and prosperity. Some people need drama and chaos to feel alive. That used to be my cup of tea but not anymore. I don't see why peace is synonymous with dullness. It's not like your life is over just because you don't have a crazy bucket list. Personally, I find inner work much more rewarding and less temporal, but to each their own.

And btw you will always be square in the grand scheme. Western liberal philosophy on individualism makes people think that they're special little snowflakes and so different from one another but no matter what it is you do, it's all been done already. We're all just the most recent versions of repeating, cyclical themes in human history. It's fine if you want to leave a legacy but all legacies are temporary, whether your name is forgotten in 50 years or in 5000. And you'll be long dead anyway so you won't even get to enjoy the legacy you're trying to leave. Not that you shouldn't do it, just that... what's the point of having such a big ego about it?

I'd rather be the square who is still functional for the grandchildren, to provide guidance and joy that they will remember and hold dear, than be some crazy burnout who is either dead or decrepit that no one will actually remember anyway.

It's important to also see it that way if you want to be realistic about it.

My dad became a father young and didn't really have much time for craziness. But he has lived his like like a real family man who can be relied upon and is still very involved in everyone's life. You just can't have it all, especially when it comes to these things, and simply have to choose.