• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Young prisoner, 21, dies after overdosing on meth after the drug was 'sneaked in

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Young prisoner, 21, dies after overdosing on meth after the drug was 'sneaked into the scandal-hit maximum security prison'

A prisoner has died in a maximum security prison after overdosing on meth.

The 21-year-old unnamed prisoner was found unconscious last Saturday in the State Management Unit at the Port Phillip Prison, west of Melbourne.

He was transferred to intensive care at St Vincent's Hospital in Melbourne, where he was pronounced dead four days later.

Prison sources told the Herald Sun that the drugs, also known as ice, were smuggled into the maximum security jail hidden in a large package.

A spokesman for Corrections Victoria confirmed the death in a statement to the Herald Sun: 'A 21-year-old prisoner from the privately operated Port Phillip Prison died in hospital on the evening of July 6.

'As with all deaths in custody, the matter has been referred to the Coroner, who will formally determine the cause of death.'

Investigations have begun to into security at the Port Phillip Prison as authorities determine how the drug was able to be concealed and pass various checkpoints.

Random searches of visitors and prisoners, scanners, X-ray machines and sniffer dogs are all used to prevent drug smuggling at Victoria's largest maximum security prison.

The death is now subject to a coronial inquest and Victoria Police investigating on behalf of the State Coroner.

It was revealed earlier this week that four prison officers at Port Philip Prison had been sacked for not having proper firearms licences.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dies-overdosing-meth-Port-Phillip-Prison.html

Guards do most of the drug smuggling here in the states

I shudder to think how much meth you would need to take to fatally overdose on it.
Wonder if there is more to the story, or if the death was caused by complications resulting from meth use?
I don't remember hearing of anyone dying from a meth OD, and it seems especially unlikely in prison - unless he came across a very large amount? :?

Whatever happened - it's very sad. Such a young guy too.

I shudder to think how much meth you would need to take to fatally overdose on it.
Wonder if there is more to the story, or if the death was caused by complications resulting from meth use?
I don't remember hearing of anyone dying from a meth OD, and it seems especially unlikely in prison - unless he came across a very large amount? :?

Whatever happened - it's very sad. Such a young guy too.

Maybe he swallowed a balloon and it burst

He may have been the dealer, and they were shaking down his cell so he swallowed his whole supply. This theory would only work if he also had an underlying heart condition.

My former roommate used to be a tweaker and technically died of a meth overdose (was brought back to life in the ER). It sounded like a terrifying experience, the way he described it...definitely a lot scarier than, say, a heroin overdose.

This just proves that there is no way to control drugs. The quantity required to cause an OD was in prison...which is supposed to be a heavily regulated place. How do they expect to stop it from being present where everyone is free to move as they please?