• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

News Young men at highest risk of schizophrenia linked with cannabis use disorder

RUC4

Bluelighter
Young men at highest risk of schizophrenia linked with cannabis use disorder

NIDA
4 May 2023

Excerpts:
Young men with cannabis (marijuana) use disorder have an increased risk of developing schizophrenia,...
the study authors estimated that as many as 30% of cases of schizophrenia among men aged 21-30 might have been prevented by averting cannabis use disorder
Cannabis use disorder and schizophrenia are serious, but treatable, mental disorders that can profoundly impact people’s lives. People with cannabis use disorder are unable to stop using cannabis despite it causing negative consequences in their lives. Schizophrenia is a serious mental illness that affects how a person thinks, feels, and behaves. People with schizophrenia may seem like they have lost touch with reality, and the symptoms of schizophrenia can make it difficult to participate in usual, everyday activities. However, effective treatments are available for both cannabis use disorder and schizophrenia. the study authors estimated that as many as 30% of cases of schizophrenia among men aged 21-30 might have been prevented by averting cannabis use disorder.

drugs do not cause schizophernia esp weed.

Its your enviroment and genetics but it def aint fucking drugs. Most people with shcizophernia and tryna to escape the voices in their head and use drugs to cope.

drugs do not cause schizophernia esp weed.

Its your enviroment and genetics but it def aint fucking drugs. Most people with shcizophernia and tryna to escape the voices in their head and use drugs to cope.
This whole debate is kind of a chicken vs egg argument. Does weed cause schizophrenia or do people with schizophrenia use weed to cope?

I think the answer probably lies somewhere in between, if not then some cases for each side.

Schizophrenia runs in my family, so I had the genetic thing working against me when I first started manifesting symptoms. However, at the exact same time I was also smoking like an oz a week of bud. So, while my genetic predispositions were probably a primary factor, I'm convinced that the weed at the very least contributed to a faster onset. This would probably place me in the between group. My schizophrenia onset occurred simultaneously with smoking massive amounts. I don't blame weed for causing my mental illness, but I can't count it out as a contributing factor either.

One thing I did learn over the years was to use in moderation. I completely quit for awhile but when I started again, I didn't get blazed off my tits like I did in my early 20s. I was even a daily smoker for the past dozen or so years but preferred a light buzz for longer periods of time instead of a heavy buzz for shorter periods of time.

Since schizophrenia generally doesn't manifest at all until 18-25 for males and 25-35 in women, and considering that most people have their pothead years at 18-25, I'm not particularly surprised. I'd love to see details as to the methodology of this study. Correlation is not causation.

I've definitely seen schizophrenic issues develop in people I knew who already had issues. Never saw it strike out of the blue. Then again, anecdotal evidence is not evidence... but just sayin'.

having grown up with a direct relative with schizophrenia and seen people around me smoke weed i can confirm i have seen 'drug induced psychosis' amongst people but ive not seen schizophrenia caused by cannabis or drug use. The two are very commonly mixed up, Drug Induced psychosis is usually treatable with medication and/or a hospital stay where as schizophrenia is a lifelong mental health condition which can occur regardless of drug use in a person (Although drug use can likely show these symptoms much earlier on)

This is nothing new. Most of leading psychiatrists in my country are strongly against legalizing cannabis for this very reason. They are not even claiming there is any evidence it is causing schizophrenia but consider that even if it’s only few years postponed cuz person didn’t smoke or if symptoms would have been at least somewhat milder that’s a win.

I’ve met people with schizophrenia who sometimes get into full blown psychosis cuz of smoking weed but still continue to do it. I’ve also met and witnessed first hand people getting into psychosis from weed after they suffered from drug induced psychosis previously.
Apparently thing is once you pop your psychosis cherry even drugs that usually might even help with or lessen chances for psychosis can cause it, and those with some mild chances of causing it, like weed, start causing them easily; that’s at least what I was told by a very respected and good psychiatrist and don’t think he had absolutely any reason to make up such things in our private conversation.