• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Xylazine Sold as Ketamine in Canada

Viraldrome

Bluelighter
The drug testing site Getyourdrugstested.ca detected this garbage in a sample sent in that was sold as ketamine in vancouver

(cut)

......Results from Get Your Drugs Tested, a free drug-checking website in Vancouver, show xylazine often appears in combination with other drugs like fentanyl or benzodiazepines. It's been identified in substances described as brown chunks, light pink powder, light orange or white crystals, and brown pebbles.

Since the service was founded in May 2019, 85 samples have come back positive for xylazine in varying proportions, mostly from areas in British Columbia, but also from Alberta, Saskatchewan and Ontario.

Last year, there were 50 positive results, up from just five in 2020. So far this year, the drug has been detected in 28 samples as of Friday, the latest identified over the past week.

Allen Custance, site manager of Get Your Drugs Tested, said there's limited information on xylazine's effect on people as it's relatively new to the drug market.

Some samples have been highlighted on the website in red with warning notes attached. Custance said samples are typically pointed out if someone reported an overdose or death.

Xylazine is a veterinary drug used as a sedative, analgesic and muscle relaxant in animals. In humans, it could cause central nervous system depression, respiratory depression and even death," said one warning attached to a February sample from Vancouver.

In that instance, xylazine was sold as ketamine.

(cont)

Vancouver and Toronto have been moving towards safe supply programs (I believe both cities currently have pilot programs) for some of the 'harder' drugs like methamphetamine, crack, and opiates because of this shit.
I believe that decriminalizing the sale of drugs IF dealers are accurately representing the contents of their product could be a possible solution, as dealers would be legally incentivized to sell clean product. I also support safe supply programs or even allowing small quantities of extremely high-purity drugs to be acquired from specialized shops like with prescription medications, cannabis, and alcohol.

I can't see the government allowing street dealers to be the purveyors of the safe supply, considering how many regulations they threw up around legal cannabis sales, i can't even sell my neighbor an 1/8 oz of my homegrown pot.

Its sad that the safe supply discussion is only about opiods, no one cares if an LSD user gets a fent blotter, or a K enthusiast dies from Xylazine. The whole issue is horribly politicized in Canada the liberals have little desire to legalize anything after being known as the guys who legalized cannabis, they don't want to be known the "drug party".

It's in the fentanyl/heroin also. I just got out of the hospital from it.