• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Xanax XR question?

drfeelgood1

Bluelighter
My Dr switched me from taking the regular 0.25mg Xanax and now put me on Xanax XR 0.5mg which means that I will not be getting the entire dosage all at once. Which is good, because it can be LESS addictive.

I did some research on the internet, and its too technical to me about how this formulation of Xanax works compared to regular Xanax.

So, does this mean that by taking Xanax XR 0.5mg, will I be getting half of this amount (0.25mg) every hour? Or every 4 hours? Will the total of 0.5mg add up within a certain hour? This part I don't quite understand. Please explain.

My daily dosage of Xanax XR is (1) 0.5mg tablet daily.

cannot speak of technicalities of release mechanism but if dosage is one a day (probably consistent timing?) then there would seem to be a release of alprlzm over say a 24 hr period. Possibly a band-aid for long-term benzo use?
Never understood XR alprlzm as benzos were originally made for short term (until one finds a "better" path) and then go off of them and continue learned/practiced behaviors. Maybe my understanding of all this is incorrect and misinformed.
All of the above is nothing to contribute or answer any part of your post... prolly just added more confusion....
Will be following for and other input.
Peace and good will

xanax XR is meant to be taken once daily, along with a partial amount that is released immediately the rest will be slowly released over the course of the entire day. It's main advantage being to keep fluctuating levels from causing rebound and instead a small amount available over many hours leading to less chance of interdose withdrawals. If it's used to control sudden onset panic attacks you may find it to be a little less effective than Immediate Release.

Also taking it at night might cause a hangover effect as the release is effected differently depending whether you take it during the morning or at night.

There were significant differences in absorption rate for the Xanax XR Tablet, depending on the time of day administered, with the Cmax increased by 30% and the Tmax decreased by an hour following dosing at night, compared to morning dosing.
https://mentalhealthdaily.com/2018/03/22/how-long-does-it-take-for-xanax-to-kick-in/

After taking the regular Xanax, will the Xanax XR ease any withdrawal symptoms? Should the XR help with the withdrawals after taking the regular Xanax? I don't feel any severe symptoms so far, its been about 4 days now since I switched to the XR. I had issues with sleeping, since I take the XR in the morning instead of at night.

After taking the regular Xanax, will the Xanax XR ease any withdrawal symptoms?
This would depend on many factors but is the case of one ingesting .5 a day IR (IMO a low dose) then the .5 XR should stave off any WDs from the benzo.
Everyone is different so it would seem only time will tell.

@Jekyl Anhydride
Thanks for the link and info. Worth it to me, anyway.