Mental Health Xanax Vs. Valium Vs. Klonapin

TrippyNation

Greenlighter
So I have a upcoming appointment with a new psychiatrist this week I've been taking Xanax for the past couple of weeks almost everyday .5 MG of Xanax around 12-3 PM and another 1-1.5 MG in the evening time between 7-11 PM and I know Xanax tolerance builds quickly and that has me weary as far as starting out on a prescription of Xanax cause I don't want to have to deal with building a tolerance to it and becoming dependant on it just to function and then later down the line having to ween off of it and either switch to Klonapin or Valium also when I go to the appointment I want to make sure I get the proper prescription cause I deal with anxiety from a few hours after I wake up until I go to sleep so obviously I need something constantly or almost constantly in my system and I'm just wondering what peoples experiences have been with long-term benzodiazepine use for anxiety and what might be the best choice to try first. Also I know each person reacts differently to medication so this is solely opinion based but anyways thanks for the help :)

Last edited:
Your gonna withdrawal on all 3, my opinion stay with the Xanax
well my issue is not with withdrawal but with how quickly tolerance builds with Xanax and I'm wondering what other benzodiazepine would be my best choice I've heard of people staying on the same dose of valium or Klonapin for years and it still working and was just wanting to get opinions on what would maybe be the best option for me and I'm aware any benzodiazepine after dosing for a while that their will be withdraw unless you slowly taper thanks for trying to help but it's not quite what I'm looking for.

I'm pretty sure kpins are alike obviously since a benzos but if you look them up they use to say for the clinical Insane the valium is weakest in my opinion but more mellow. I think really you need to talk to your dr. I don't see him judging you on the decision there's a reason why they make all 3. I was on Xanax for years and went to valium and maybe lasted a week before I switched back.

Clonazepam seems best as it is strong and lasts for anxiety. You and your doctor will see what works best for you though.

When I was 18, I started getting prescribed the .25 Xanax, I'm now 29, so I've been prescribed Xanax, Valium, Ativan, and now klonopin (again) and honestly Valium 10mg) did wonders for me. But everyone is different, you and your Dr. will find out what works best for you in the meantime

When I was 18, I started getting prescribed the .25 Xanax, I'm now 29, so I've been prescribed Xanax, Valium, Ativan, and now klonopin (again) and honestly Valium 10mg) did wonders for me. But everyone is different, you and your Dr. will find out what works best for you in the meantime

Probably because the valium 10 are stronger than the peach .25 Xanax but for you as you said valium was a better option so yea that's good. Like I said earlier they made all 3 for a reason . Ativan made me real depressive.

In the end, you best bet is to learn how to manage the anxiety without medication - it's not a easy process but it is possible. Benzodiazapines are not a sustainable means to control anxiety in the long term, and will eventually make anxiety worse. Having to withdrawal from them is incredibly difficult, and the anxiety during that time is incapacitating. I'm just throwing that info out there as I stayed on Xanax for ten years - it doesn't get any better.

Essentially, you're on the down hill slope as it seems your tolerance is increasing. Over time many benzo users, myself included, found that benzos actually increased their anxiety and depression. Regardless of what you do with medication, look into Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) - it teaches you how to manage your anxiety so it's no longer an issue. My anxiety was dibiltating, six years ago I couldn't leave my house or be unmedicated. Today I don't take any psych meds as CBT has taught me how to cope. I know this isn't the information you requested, but this is a harm reduction website and I would be remiss not to include it ;)

Regarding your question, your best bet is going to be the longer acting Valium - out of any of them mention that has the longest half life so it stays in your system the longest and withdrawal won't set in as quickly. Klonopin would be next. Xanax is best reserved for acute panic attacks, and should be used sparingly. Klonopin can certainly build tolerance but it seems more forgiving that Xanax. Honestly, klonopin didn't do much for me except keep me out of withdrawals because I was accustomed to the immediacy of the Xanax. I sincerely hope you can get your anxiety resolved, it's horrible to live with. Good luck!

Personally id say go with Valium or Clonazepam and stay the hell away from Xanax. While you will get withdrawal from all 3 Xanax has the shortest half life by far of the 3 and the shortest method of action thus you will have to dose much more often and you will go into withdrawals much quicker. Most people i know who have run into trouble with Benzos did so on Xanax.

Currently i am tapering down my Clonazepam from 6mg's a day and now i am down to 5mg's. I can go a good 2 days without experiencing withdrawals. I was thinking about tapering down to 2mg's a day then switching over to 40mg's of Valium a day and staying on that. I could do with the muscle relaxation plus Valium is the easiest one to taper from due to it's super long half life.

Honestly Valium might be your best option because the doses are pretty low compared to high potency Benzos like Clonazepam and Xanax and it's the easiest to taper from. Also as they make Valium pills in 10, 5 and 2mg doses it's much easier to adjust the dose when your tapering off. Hell in Canada atleast they even make a oral solution of 1mg per ml though that might be for pediatric use only.

Xanax has the shortest half life. I personally find clonazepam to work best for anxiety as well as being relatively long lasting. Valium is longest lasting BUT I find that it doesn't work as well for anxiety but that's just me. I find Xanax is good for "I'm having a panic attack right now and need something right this instant".

Besides the slight difference in how quickly the act, how long they last, what they are good at (some are better for sleeping, etc., but really all will technically work for most things, they are only SLIGHTLY different)
All three will have awful withdrawal effects (you will NEED to taper as the withdrawals can be VERY dangerous). You will need to taper and be very careful.
All three are addicting.
All three... you will have to continue increasing the dosage for it to still work.

Have you been through all the typical SSRI/SNRIs? That's what they put me on for a while, hated them all (well honestly most of them are just awful and only work for a few people). They put me on Lyrica (pregabalin) which is relatively new for treating anxiety (it's original use was to treat nerve pain and it also helps with seizures). This has been helping me tremendously. It helps anxiety a ton. It does not help depression if that is something you also have though. But anyway I've found that works great. It's addicting, yes, if I decide to go off it, I'll have to taper (but SSRIs were like that too.... those withdrawals were hell). I've found that Lyrica most of the time is all I need. Except like once a week if I'm having a panic attack or something extra then a benzo. Like if there is something big happening (a plane ride for example) then benzos help. But then it's only once in a while rather than every day. Not everyone knows about lyrica as it's new and it's still off label for anxiety in some places.

Personally id say go with Valium or Clonazepam and stay the hell away from Xanax. While you will get withdrawal from all 3 Xanax has the shortest half life by far of the 3 and the shortest method of action thus you will have to dose much more often and you will go into withdrawals much quicker. Most people i know who have run into trouble with Benzos did so on Xanax.

Currently i am tapering down my Clonazepam from 6mg's a day and now i am down to 5mg's. I can go a good 2 days without experiencing withdrawals. I was thinking about tapering down to 2mg's a day then switching over to 40mg's of Valium a day and staying on that. I could do with the muscle relaxation plus Valium is the easiest one to taper from due to it's super long half life.

Honestly Valium might be your best option because the doses are pretty low compared to high potency Benzos like Clonazepam and Xanax and it's the easiest to taper from. Also as they make Valium pills in 10, 5 and 2mg doses it's much easier to adjust the dose when your tapering off. Hell in Canada atleast they even make a oral solution of 1mg per ml though that might be for pediatric use only.

There's also the 5mg suppositories...I ate them when I had some given to me in those old 08-12 pill parties we had at my pharm dealer's place, when he was in a good mood, he'd throw a bunch of shit on a table, opiates, benzo, muscle relaxants (just yellow houses - cyclobenzaprine, I was a preteen when Soma was removed here), I remember showing him what SteriFilts were and how I shot a 60mg m-eslon in front of him, something he was skeptic about even after using his huge plasma tv and the PC connected to it with his wireless mouse and keyboard. SteriFilts are hard to come by here, not typically given with injection kits, they got cottons good enough for HydromorphContin crushed beads (at least they did until I stopped in late 2012, I think they added something talc-y later, so it ruins those who just snort crushed HMContin pills are now at the same risk of getting a Ritalin Lung. Good job Purdue. Anyway, when he saw that it was safe, I remember fondly how he took loprazolam (Dormonoct) a friend I have in the Netherlands gives to me, really, no darkweb, he's a friend since like 1999 when we were both makers of an mp3 sharing site, like how the Offspring in 2000 only had 2 radio friendly songs on Conspiracy of One and gave all the album for free online, their (forced-upon-them) major label were not too happy. We were a dozen just having ftp sites with links to full albums in a ftp:// link for .rar'd albums. I got some now still, shooting them is amazing, I can only imagine what Versed/whatever name the pilled Midazolam are branded over there. Yeah Loprazolam is just as water soluble. Anyway I remember when he crushed 3x1mg loprazolam, a whole 30mg HMContin mortared beads, 4 or so Dilaudid 4's and ate an oxycontin 80. It was hilarious because he's so addicted (legally) that he just said that the rush of the 3 things at once was crazy, best rush he had in his life (never had heroin either, its just not up here, or if it is, it's some crust punk who moves all over the province who has safe houses where he has a friend at least in every major Quebec towns. Montreal, Longueil, Gatineau, Quebec City, Rimouski, Saguenay, Rouyn-Noranda, Sept-Iles, and the price for the H he had was ridiculous and it was a quick situation where he just came by to give me money he owed my friend, always carrying his bass guitar, the many pouches on it made him less suspicious, he said.

Yeah, I had a little litle memory left small breakdown earlier this week when I was eating clonazolam, shooting loprazolam every 30 minutes and I got majorly uninhibited. It's all good now, gave the flunitrazolam I didn't even take during that time to someone I trust will just keep them for me. I'm swimming in the benzos though, but adding flunitraz to this (which I think I read is water soluble, is it? because if they are...even better idea to give the 20 or so I got left to a trustworthy friend.