• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax vs. Kava (or combine them?)

ErgicMergic

Bluelighter
Hey guys, I used to take Xanax or Valium daily for months about 4-5 months ago, now my tolerance is low.

I bought a bar a couple of days ago and took 0.25mg (half of one piece) in the morning, and 0.25mg later on, and surprisingly, by benzo tolerance has dropped a lot.

I didn't like how short it lasted, and the subsequent crash. I was thinking, should I take Kava (strong, legit, Kava) instead? Or take maybe 0.25mg with half a cup of Kava? Or take 0.5mg. I used to take up to 1mg-1.5mg. Thanks!

i like to mix xanax with kava but if you don't want a crash you might want to just take kava and forget the xanax

I like the combo of kava extract and benzos. They certainly do potentiate each other. However, I find real benzos like xanax far superior to kava. The combo might be a little dangerous for someone with absolutely no tolerance to benzos since kava is a complicated drug that works on many different receptor sites. Fortunately, .5mg of aplrazolam isn't very much. I'm not sure how much kava you'd be doing and the potency of it varies greatly from the source, strain, etc. I think either way you'll have a relaxing night. The crash will certainly be worse if you mix them.

A couple of strong, high quality cups of kava root is much much more potent than xanax, lots of euphoria and the effects linger much longer than xanax. The only downside is motor coordination goes straight out the window, you will have trouble walking. Most people don't seem to prepare kava correctly or use the extracts that pale in comparison to the root, so i would personally not mix the two unless your kava is poor quality.

Heard reports about someone combining Kava and Zanax, and they ended up geing hospitalised.

Id stick to the xanax and just increase the dosage I take 5 mg's at a time and I love it and the come down is not bad

^I think you do that enough times, you'll start to notice serious rebound effects. They can be hard to spot at first.

OP, since you're experiencing the crash from Xanax, I think it is probably best to steer clear of benzo use as much as possible. I know exactly the crash you're describing, and it was my body's response to having abused benzos so much in the past. I think you should be careful, as you definitely don't sound far off from serious rebound symptoms. I'd just stick to kava/ mulungu/ valerian/ etc.

I wish that kava felt like benzos but it really doesnt. There is no "tunnel vision" with kava and your in more control thats why. And I get a mild sense of wellbeing and euphoria like an opiate one but a mild one. I use the 84% kavalactone paste because the root gave me stomache pains and made me want to take a shit but i couldnt. Some people compare kava to diazepam(valium) but unfortunately it isnt. Kava just has different effects but it still relaxes you at a comfortable level.

do you still have to order kava from online to get the good stuff or do pharmacy/vitamin shops sell better quality stuff?

Well said, Pegasus. Maybe my mind is not fully recovered from benzo overuse. That same crash applies for drinking alcohol, too. I used to be able to have a few beers in the afternoon, and just chill at night if I wanted to. Now it's like I can feel the exact moment that ethanol's letting go of its grip on my GABA receptors, kind of like the feeling opiate users get when a dose takes them out of w/d, just reversed.

A couple of strong, high quality cups of kava root is much much more potent than xanax, lots of euphoria and the effects linger much longer than xanax. The only downside is motor coordination goes straight out the window, you will have trouble walking. Most people don't seem to prepare kava correctly or use the extracts that pale in comparison to the root, so i would personally not mix the two unless your kava is poor quality.
What’s the correct way, in your opinion?

What’s the correct way, in your opinion?
I'm not sure you'll get an answer over 10 years later. But for me, I prefer instant kava. If not, put kava root in some sort of strainer bag, and knead into a 50/50 mix of water and milk for 20 minutes.

I'm not sure you'll get an answer over 10 years later. But for me, I prefer instant kava. If not, put kava root in some sort of strainer bag, and knead into a 50/50 mix of water and milk for 20 minutes.
Thank you so much for your answer I’m just wondering by 50-50 mix do you mean of water and kava or of water and some other ingredient you forgot to type out?

Thank you so much for your answer I’m just wondering by 50-50 mix do you mean of water and kava or of water and some other ingredient you forgot to type out?
Ohhhhh i see water and milk. I thought you meant milk it into the mixture for 20 minutes Sorry my bad

What ratio of kava and this water/milk mix should i use? Sorry for being a greenlighter if im being a typical annoying one, im used to how things worked in erowidistan on fb

I usually use about 2/3 cup of kava, and 2 cups of water/milk. Bear in mind, this can be quite strong so better to work your way up.

I usually use about 2/3 cup of kava, and 2 cups of water/milk. Bear in mind, this can be quite strong so better to work your way up just
I usually use about 2/3 cup of kava, and 2 cups of water/milk. Bear in mind, this can be quite strong so better to work your way up.
Sorry for being annoying and the strange formatting the website seems to be a bit broken on my browser, but I just wanted to ask is it 2 cups of water and milk each or is it 2 cups total?

Sorry for being annoying and the strange formatting the website seems to be a bit broken on my browser, but I just wanted to ask is it 2 cups of water and milk each or is it 2 cups total?
All good 👍

I'm using:

1 cup milk combined with
1 cup warm water= 2 cups liquid in total
2/3cup kava in strainer bag

Knead the bag of kava in the milk/water combo for 20 mins. Put a drop on your tongue and if it goes numb, the kavalactones are in suspension. You may not need 20 minutes but the longer you knead, the stronger the brew.

Drink 1 cup, wait 20 minutes, drink the next cup. In between serves, I usually do another wash where I repeat the above process but with half the water/milk so I end up drinking 3 cups total.

Bear in mind, kava is somewhat unpredictable. While the above works 90% of the time, sometimes it just doesn't. Otoh, instant kava (as in dehydrated kava juice, NOT micronised kava) works predictably every time and is as easy as stirring some powder into water. And much less messy. For me, its more economical too.

combo might be dangerous with such a low benzo tolerance; I only mix because I have a 6mg daily script for xan