• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Xanax, Valium ?

Pinprick

Bluelighter
Hi, Will taking Valium help with a slight month long Xanax routine I found myself in , my Xanax intake has been varying from .5 to 1.5 mg for about a month now and I can option a few dozen 10 mg Valium from a friend , or is it basically useless ?..

thank you

Neither is a opioid painkiller, where do you see one mentioned in my post?

Lol yeah that guy was misreading. Diazepam is a perfect taper bzd compared to alprazolam, much longer half-life = less withdrawal symptoms. But hell, at only .5mg-1.5mg xanax daily for a month, I doubt your withdrawals will be very noticeable. That's a low dose.

Just to be safe, you could take 5-10mg diazepam every other day for a week or two to ensure you're tapered.

Lol yeah that guy was misreading. Diazepam is a perfect taper bzd compared to alprazolam, much longer half-life = less withdrawal symptoms. But hell, at only .5mg-1.5mg xanax daily for a month, I doubt your withdrawals will be very noticeable. That's a low dose.

Just to be safe, you could take 5-10mg diazepam every other day for a week or two to ensure you're tapered.
Thank you that’s good to hear, yes I know it’s a low dose but if I try skipping a dose I’m up all night unable to sleep and I need my beauty sleep :ROFLMAO:or I can’t function the next day, and I was clueless about the half life thing so I’ll try splitting one and see how I feel....
Enjoy your day...(y)

Fact of the matter is, you will lose sleep. Taking small doses of valium and spaced far apart is your best bet. Expect sleep to never be as good though... fact of the matter is, bzd sleep is amazing, especially for those such as myself who suffer a myriad of anxiety disorders. Getting sleep like bzds can offer requires me to be so exhausted it isn't worth it, like, 12 hours constant exercise, that'll put me out. But who has time to run 10 miles a day and do weight training off and on for hours?

i just took 2.5 mg of klonopin and im on sublocade shot so bupe with my gabapentin & if i smoke some weed as in im allowed to as in i go to dispensary for my weed but yeaaaa................

Fact of the matter is, you will lose sleep. Taking small doses of valium and spaced far apart is your best bet. Expect sleep to never be as good though... fact of the matter is, bzd sleep is amazing, especially for those such as myself who suffer a myriad of anxiety disorders. Getting sleep like bzds can offer requires me to be so exhausted it isn't worth it, like, 12 hours constant exercise, that'll put me out. But who has time to run 10 miles a day and do weight training off and on for hours?
Yes I have trazadone for sleep but when they fail to work I know it’s the lack of the Xanax in my system that’s keeping me awake , I can get the Valium over the weekend and I’ll see how things go with half of one , the fact that they last longer will help I’ll, just take it i the late afternoon ,early evening and hopefully it’ll work if not I’ll take the half , if they last till the second night I’ll be set.....

i just took 2.5 mg of klonopin and im on sublocade shot so bupe with my gabapentin & if i smoke some weed as in im allowed to as in i go to dispensary for my weed but yeaaaa................
I had to use Google to translate what you said 👍👍

I might be going with a bit of a broad stroke here, but I can see that OP is not incredibly experienced. Benzodiazepines can be looked at by the "uninitiated" as being pretty interchangeable. Think about Alcohol, which most people are familiar with. If I drink 3 beers per day, let's call that my habit and I discover that for the next few days no beer will be available, what are my options? Well, I could consume 3 shots of liquor, maybe 3 glasses of wine, maybe a mixture of all the alcoholic substances in a typical kitchen combined in one glass (Cooking Sherry? Sake! Kombucha???). You will be able to remain "stable" by substituting the different Alcoholic beverages. Different Alocoholic drinks can produce slightly different effects, all other things being equal. Maybe you get a worse hangover from Whiskey as opposed to Vodka for example, but the point remains that Alcoholic beverages are horses of varying shades of the same color.

You can apply a similar thought process to your understanding of Benzodiazepines. Some are stronger than others, last longer than others, play certain medical/recreational roles etc. but are basically interchangeable if you do your research and be cognizant of how you react to different approaches. Diazepam (Valium) is less potent than Alprazolam (Xanax) and is longer-acting, but you should be able to make a brief substitution without throwing off your balance.

10mg Diazepam = 0.5mg Alprazolam

For further or future usage, here is a pretty straightforward dosage converter for Benzodiazepines. With this in hand, you just need to take into account the differing durations, but you can definitely make a well-educated guess from this.

and i am thinking that alprazolam is more for sleeping and diazepam is better for waking hours.
so i wonder if diazepam would be healthier for waking hours.

Pretty sure the 'official' equivalency is 10mg diazepam - 1mg alprazolam. Plus, from experience, I find 10mg valium much stronger than 1mg xanax. But each hit different sub-receptors. Xanax is best for anxiety of a mental kind, valium is nice and relaxing both physically and mentally and more akin to something recreational. I find xanax 100% medicinal, no idea how people get 'high' off it. Just makes my gut pain stop and my agoraphobia stop.

and i am thinking that alprazolam is more for sleeping and diazepam is better for waking hours.
so i wonder if diazepam would be healthier for waking hours.
I think it's opposite. YMMV, but xanax is great for me and my doctor agrees because it never makes me sleepy. Diazepam/Valium tends to leave me too tired to drive, whereas I can be on a bar worth of xanax and 100% awake.

I want to emphasize that all BZDs affect people differently. For me, xanax is purely medicinal, klonopin holds no value whatsoever until I hit high dosages, and valium hits me in all the right places both relaxation wise as well as medicinally but can be too sedating. But xanax is unique for me in that it 100% eliminates my gut pain when I have it bad. Other bzds don't. Go figure. I also require higher doses in general for bzds. 0.25mg xanax puts my wife to sleep while I can be out and about, life of the party on 2mg :unsure:

Last edited:
^Wow I am so sorry. I basically just had a mental failing there, but I know people could've been hurt by that misinformation. I'm going to now retire in shame and disgrace. Maybe I'll move to Maine or something...
Pretty sure the 'official' equivalency is 10mg diazepam - 1mg alprazolam. Plus, from experience, I find 10mg valium much stronger than 1mg xanax. But each hit different sub-receptors. Xanax is best for anxiety of a mental kind, valium is nice and relaxing both physically and mentally and more akin to something recreational. I find xanax 100% medicinal, no idea how people get 'high' off it. Just makes my gut pain stop and my agoraphobia stop.

I think it's opposite. YMMV, but xanax is great for me and my doctor agrees because it never makes me sleepy. Diazepam/Valium tends to leave me too tired to drive, whereas I can be on a bar worth of xanax and 100% awake.

I want to emphasize that all BZDs affect people differently. For me, xanax is purely medicinal, klonopin holds no value whatsoever until I hit high dosages, and valium hits me in all the right places both relaxation wise as well as medicinally but can be too sedating. But xanax is unique for me in that it 100% eliminates my gut pain when I have it bad. Other bzds don't. Go figure. I also require higher doses in general for bzds. 0.25mg xanax puts my wife to sleep while I can be out and about, life of the party on 2mg :unsure:

As a general rule, I dont take medical advice from anyone who would call themselves order-ativan-online. There might be some bias? Its been a long time since ethics class.

As a general rule, I dont take medical advice from anyone who would call themselves order-ativan-online. There might be some bias? Its been a long time since ethics class.
Yes he showed his lack of knowledge/ reading comprehension in his first reply in this thread

I might be going with a bit of a broad stroke here, but I can see that OP is not incredibly experienced. Benzodiazepines can be looked at by the "uninitiated" as being pretty interchangeable. Think about Alcohol, which most people are familiar with. If I drink 3 beers per day, let's call that my habit and I discover that for the next few days no beer will be available, what are my options? Well, I could consume 3 shots of liquor, maybe 3 glasses of wine, maybe a mixture of all the alcoholic substances in a typical kitchen combined in one glass (Cooking Sherry? Sake! Kombucha???). You will be able to remain "stable" by substituting the different Alcoholic beverages. Different Alocoholic drinks can produce slightly different effects, all other things being equal. Maybe you get a worse hangover from Whiskey as opposed to Vodka for example, but the point remains that Alcoholic beverages are horses of varying shades of the same color.

You can apply a similar thought process to your understanding of Benzodiazepines. Some are stronger than others, last longer than others, play certain medical/recreational roles etc. but are basically interchangeable if you do your research and be cognizant of how you react to different approaches. Diazepam (Valium) is less potent than Alprazolam (Xanax) and is longer-acting, but you should be able to make a brief substitution without throwing off your balance.

For further or future usage, here is a pretty straightforward dosage converter for Benzodiazepines. With this in hand, you just need to take into account the differing durations, but you can definitely make a well-educated guess from this.
Thank you for breaking it down for me , and yes I’m not really experienced with bentos (30+ year dopefiend/ coke fiend) been of smack for over a decade and started dabbling with Xanax /weak pain meds recently because of anxiety and I miss being altered a little ( I ain’t gonna lie) , but I just don’t wanna have a habit on anything again so I thought it best to ask here first...

thank you, Keif👍👍