• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Xanax taper question

aXXo

Greenlighter
Hey guys,
I've read many older threads about this but just wanted some advice for my specific situation. I've been taking .5mg of xanax once a day for about 3 months. For the last two weeks I started to taper down. It's hard to judge exactly how much I'm taking because I have the bars but basically I break off one square and just make it into smaller pieces. I put the pieces in a pill organizer. I'm doing well and usually start to feel any withdrawal around 24 hr after my last dose. I plan on just making the pieces smaller and smaller until I can just stop. I'm probably worrying too much but should I seek a doctor and try to do valium taper? Will 3 months at this low a dose produce seizures? Sorry this was so long. Thanks for reading.

Luckily for you, 0.5mg of xanax/day isn't much of a benzo habit.

Tapering like you described should be fine.

Hey there aXXo! Welcome to the forums on behalf of the community! We are happy to have you with us and happy to help you with your issues. As others have said, 0.5mg Alprazolam (Xanax) is not an excessively large dose my friend. They do produce 0.25mg Alprazolam, but typically, 0.5mg is the starting dose for most folks. There are plenty of unscrupulous croakers out there writing scripts for 8mg per day, so, 32x what you're dealing with and some of these folks have been on this regimen for years and years. The worst part of all, most of the people I know personally on these dosages no longer experience hardly any positive benefit from their medication :(

This isn't a "You've got it good so quite complaining" statement. On the contrary, I hope it build your confidence up just a little bit, as some of these excessively-dependent individuals are themselves able to make it to a life free from Benzodiazepines. So, you can definitely do it. I'm behind you and so is everyone else. It's not easy but you can do it. Just going by what you have told us, it would seem that you have a perfectly reasonable and feasible plan. Not only that, it looks like you are not even a compulsive user.

I endorse what you're doing and believe that you will be totally fine. 3 months is not a long time and you should be able to return to homeostasis without a lot of misery. If you can handle it and everything is going fine, you should be A-Okay. Going for something like a Diazepam (Valium) taper would complicate things and is probably not necessary.

If your symptoms increase or you have any other questions or concerns, you can post back here or send me a message!

As someone who used a daily dose of 0.5 mg for a period of a couple years, I expect that you'll do well, and I think your tapering plan is a good one. Maybe throw in something natural like melatonin to help with sleep if you're struggling. Imho you shouldn't be at seizure risk from this, as you're tapering vs cold turkey. If you have other seizure risks, like another med you're on, that's a consideration. But you're tapering off a low dose. And no need for a valium taper as you asked....Good for you for getting off the xanax! Let us know how you do ☺