• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tapering Xanax taper experience so far

DreamofWinter

Bluelighter
So I got prescribed Xanax to get me through a very rough patch in mid to late February. The doctor initially suggested 1mg a day, split into morning and evening doses. After keeping in touch and talking about things, we agreed that 1.5mg a day, split into morning, afternoon, and evening doses would be better for me. It was.

A few weeks in I had another call with the doctor and asked for a repeat of what I had originally got. It was helpful for me and I was still going through difficult personal stuff. The doctor agreed, but said that 2 months should be the maximum. I stayed more or less on the 1.5mg per day (when averaged out). Some days I used less, if I was feeling good and life around me was calm. Some days I used up to 2mg. One day I think I took 3.5mg, but I didn't keep note of it, so I'm not sure how much I took exactly.

Getting to 6 or 7 weeks in, after asking here about tapering advice (that I didn't follow), I finally spoke to the doctor again, and I was advised to start a taper. It wouldn't take long, according to my doctor, and we'd play it according to my response to the taper. I started the taper perhaps a week later than planned, because I didn't want to stop.

The first day I went down from 1.75mg the day before to 1.25mg. I stayed on that for 4 days. The next day I went for a bike ride with some friends in the morning and forgot my morning dose. I felt fine, so I skipped it. Then time for afternoon dose came, and I still felt absolutely fine, so I decided to skip that again to see what happened. It was totally fine. So I had made the sudden jump from 1.25mg to 0.5mg.

I stayed on that for six days in total, monitoring my symptoms along the way. Blood pressure and heart rate were stable, and actually even improved slightly. I had no physical symptoms other than a very mild headache, which I didn't need to take any painkiller for; it was just there in the background. Psychological symptoms over those days were mildly negative. My mood was quite low, especially on the 5th and 6th days. I wouldn't call it depression, but I was just grumpy with the world. I had some low level anxiety that came and went, but it's comparable to what I felt before Xanax as my baseline anxiety. It was slightly exacerbated by my constant reading of withdrawal experiences and getting myself stressed out about that.

After six days I went to 0.25mg, waiting 24 hours between my previous dose and that one. It was fine. Mostly I was feeling down about having to stop, because I really liked how Xanax turned the volume down on the world, and all but stopped my overthinking. I had slight difficulty falling asleep, and that's about it. On the forth day of 0.25mg (I was taking it of an evening, right before bed) I noticed that I had lost a sheet (or however you call it) of ten 0.5mg pills. I managed to get in touch with my doctor and told her this. I requested a prescription for some 0.25mg pills. She refused. I guess she didn't believe me that I'd lost the other pills and was more thinking that I didn't want to stop. She said that I'd responded well, and things were looking positive for me to stop. I could take a few more days at 0.125mg if I wanted to be conservative, or I could just stop. My total use time without tapering was around seven weeks, and the taper time was around three weeks, give or take (the first week I went down a day and then back up the next, because I just didn't want to stop).

When 24 hours had passed since my last 0.25mg dose, I was considering the 0.125mg dose before bed, but I felt just fine. Apart from being a little off during the 0.5mg part of the taper, pretty much nothing changed other than slowly returning to 'normal'. I decided to skip that dose and see how the night went. I had a bit of trouble falling asleep, but slept well after that. The next morning, again I felt just fine. Now it's been close to 48 hours since my last dose of 0.25mg and there are no noticeable changes. And I'm a hypochondriac, so I generally monitor my own body and any potential symptoms very closely at the best of times.

A couple of things that might be worth noting: I'm a heavy smoker, and I've read that this can lower the absorption of Xanax by up to 50% and also speed up the metabolism of Xanax by up to 50%. Before taking Xanax I had tinnitus, which manifested itself as a low level hissing in my ears. I've had it since childhood. Xanax made that disappear completely, and since starting my taper, it has returned to the way it was.

I don't drink or use any other drugs or medication. I spent two/three years as a functioning alcoholic, then about a month or so as a no-so-functioning one. I quit drinking by using a taper method for alcohol and that was possibly the worst experience of my life. I was offered meds to get through that, but refused and lived through about 2 weeks of solid hell. Looking back now, I could have died and should have checked into a hospital, but I opted to either stay in bed, or walk constantly. The anxiety coming off alcohol was the most intense, nightmarish thing I've ever experienced and walking helped slightly. For a couple of weeks I was walking around 50,000 steps a day, while unable to eat. I think I lost close to 10kg in those two weeks alone. That experience is why I was a bit more careful during this Xanax taper, and really listened to my body. It's also why I didn't push my doctor to give me more, because I enjoyed Xanax so much, I could have easily gone down the path of a life dominated by it.

As it stands now, I'm entering into the third day without Xanax. I have 0.25mg with me at all times, just in case, but I haven't gotten close to feeling the need to take it as of yet. I'm considering taking that last dose before bed this evening, or splitting it into a 0.125mg dose this evening, and one more tomorrow evening. just before I fly off on holiday. My doctor is in another part of the country from me, and I can't get a doctor's note in time to take the other Xanax pills with me, should I find them. My thinking with it is that while I'm away, if I do start to feel bad, then I'll either visit a local doctor, show them my old prescription and ask them to prescribe me a low dose, or to have a beer (which seems like a silly option, considering my history with the drink). Or to just ride out any unpleasant symptoms, by overeating, swimming, and some long walks.

I will edit and update this when a full week has passed since my last dose.

Edit:
Day three of no Xanax. It has been around 60 hours since my last dose of 0.25mg, and I still feel the same. Quite tired, but I've been falling asleep around midnight (which is two hours later than usual) and waking up at around 6 (which is normal). I have some cold-like symptoms, but so does my partner, so I suspect this is actually a mild cold that I've caught at the same time.

I have some anxiety, but that is related more to flying today. I have a phobia of airports.

Last edited:
So I got back from the trip which was basically the reason I knew I had to taper off Xanax. I think this is day 8 or 9 of no xanax and the experience was generally fine. Kind of felt like a low level hangover that took a long time to pass. I'm not sure how much of that was anticipation anxiety and how much was actual withdrawal.

I allowed myself to drink on the holiday, but tried to keep that at a low enough level to just be chilled. It kind of worked, although my partner wasn't happy to see me drinking again as she rightly says, I don't know when to stop. Anyway one or two unpleasant discussions during the trip about me probably drinking too much beer was kind of worth it for being able to switch off and basically forget that I'd even used xanax for the past couple of months in the first place.

Oddly with the drinking on holiday, I didn't have the massive anxiety hangovers that I'd had in the past, but maybe that was because I started drinking by about 12:00 every day, just keeping a light buzz throughout the day while we sat at the pool. Back home now and back to not drinking again.

My sleep with during my xanax detox was that it took my hours to sleep, but apart from one night, I'd sleep right through to my alarm. And last night, probably brought on my the exhaustion of the airports and all the travelling before and after the flight, I was out like a light and slept almost 10 hours straight until my alarm this morning.

What I can say is that xanax happened to work for me for the time I used it, but the anxiety around quitting it and potentially having terrible withdrawals made it not worth the risk, so in the future I'm going to find other ways to deal with my anxiety. I managed to quit coffee over the last week, too, although I'm drinking one now for the first time in a week. I used to have around 4 strong coffees every day before noon and stopping that has helped me, I think.

This all sounds promising and encouraging.
Glad there was no buggin out sessions. :)
You done with the benzos? Curious is all.
Thanks and congrats on having a decent time of it.
Peace

This all sounds promising and encouraging.
Glad there was no buggin out sessions. :)
You done with the benzos? Curious is all.
Thanks and congrats on having a decent time of it.
Peace
Yeah I'm done with them for a while, as my regular doctor won't prescribe more. Maybe in the future I'll get some just to have as a just in case in my medicine cabinet, but I don't want to go through the worry of stopping them again by using them more than every now and again