• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax - need to know how much is too much

IGEightyEight

Greenlighter
I have a question about Xanax, and if I ask my doc I'm afraid I'll sound like I'm drug seeking. Anyway, I have a legit prescription of Xanax and take a therapeutic dose almost daily. My script is for .5 mg 3x daily, but I don't really take that much or I personally couldn't function. I usually take. 5 to .75mg daily, 1mg if I'm having a really bad day (that is maybe twice a month). I don't take the dose all at once, I spread it out across the day. I've had the script for two years; prior to this I took Valium, 5-10mg a day.

So, on to my question. I have terrible anxiety disorder (no shit, right?) and have to take a 3 hour flight in three weeks. How much Xanax can I safely take in a day to help with the fear? My friends keep telling me to dope myself up on Xanax to either be ok or pass out while I'm in the air, that it'll be okay to do so, that I could safely take 2mg across the day if I wanted. I know the real deal non generic form comes in 2mg bars, but I didn't think you're meant to take it all at once and don't want to do anything that is going to end badly, I'm taking the flight for a good reason and I like being alive. I have known for years that there is no safe amount of alcohol to drink when you're taking benzos, so I won't be drinking.

If it helps to know for dosage safety, I'm a woman, 5'8", 175lbs, fast metabolism for⁰ some substances, others I'm very slow to metabolize (takes about 2 hours for the full effect of Xanax to hit me). Thanks in advance, everyone!

It’s very hard to OD on benzodiazepines, so you’re well beyond safe. I used to commit to taking 14+mg a day on a slow day, and others on here have taken way more. Id take an extra .5 tablet or two, and just have a good nap. By the time the plane lands, I think you’ll be alright!

Have a good trip!

It’s very hard to OD on benzodiazepines, so you’re well beyond safe. I used to commit to taking 14+mg a day on a slow day, and others on here have taken way more. Id take an extra .5 tablet or two, and just have a good nap. By the time the plane lands, I think you’ll be alright!

Have a good trip!
Oh wow, so I'll definitely be okay then! I think I'll take .75 a few hours prior, then another .5 - .75 about an hour before boarding. I never take that much all at once so that should be a nice nap. Thank you!