• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

xanax daily dose

dicko89

Bluelighter
I'm currently taking 1mg Upjohn90s but I don't want to get addicted that's why I don't get the 2mgbars as much as I love the taste, but what do you guys think is a sensible amount and how often i.e. 1 every 4 hours? I also take them with codeine I do through a cold water extraction,any advice would be great, cheers.

If you take Xanax every day you WILL get addicted/dependent. I believe the guidelines are to not take for more than 2 weeks.

ok thank you for that I will start to use them say have 5 tabs 2 per week rather than daily to avoid becoming dependant.

No... Xanax is a medication. If prescribed, it can be taken up to 3 times daily, once every 6 hours. This is to maintain constant blood levels for maximal therapeutic efficacy.

1mg everiy 6 hours or
2mg every 6 hours or
2mg every 8 hours up 10mg/day.

That is the way it is FDA recommend. The smaller dosages are intended as PRN dosages - ie, the .5 and .25 you would take intermittently for emergence symptoms

But this is a daily medication. People mistake it as one that is not for some reason? Because they say habit forming? lol If you take Prozac everyday because you need it for depression or gabapentin are they not "habit-forming" too because you regularly go through that ritual of washing down a prozac tablet.

Tell me what the difference with the alprazolam (xanax) is? There's no difference. It's just taking two medications.

Here is Xanax's prescribing informating: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2011/018276s044,021434s006lbl.pdf

1mg every 4 hours comes to 3-4mg/day. That's relatively high, but I'd say it's pretty far from an excessive dose - I'm a former benzo addict, and my daily dose was 20mg minimum (usually as 2-4 10mg doses) - I wasn't taking codeine back then, though, so I'm not sure how that would affect it; mixing downers is generally a bad idea, but I'm guessing you know that.

If you take Xanax every day you WILL get addicted/dependent. I believe the guidelines are to not take for more than 2 weeks.

Yup, that's the rule of thumb. One of the most dangerous facets of Benzodiazepines is their subtlety. They don't hit you like a shot of dope. They just "even you out" and "make you feel normal". It's a paradox in a way, as Benzodiazepines numb the senses and the mind to a certain degree, innately limiting your ability to perceive how intoxicated you are. These drugs are not to be messed with. Dependency is pretty easy to acquire for people with certain dispositions.

I would choose a different recreational experience if I were you. Benzodiazepines are a miracle medicine like Opioids in that they are highly effective and safe when used in a reasonable fashion. Like Opioids though, the fact that they are so effective makes them highly addictive. Limit your Benzodiazepine use to intermittent occasions. If you'd like some case studies on Benzodiazepine dependence/withdrawal, I encourage you to peruse our site. Reading folks' experiences is like taking a walk through a waking nightmare.

It's my firm belief that Benzodiazepines are prescribed the way they are in order for Big Pharma to reap profit. Just like they did with Opioids, they'll sell as many pills as they possibly can until someone finally checks them. Case in point, Benzodiazepines are great, some people need, and I don't use that word lightly, these drugs to live and function. If you're just looking for a buzz, you're liable to get more than you bargained for.