• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax/Benzos

wormraper

Greenlighter
I have a stupid newbie question. I kicked my opiate habit a while back and its been pretty good. no MAJOR cravings to speak of and I'm pretty much clean except for one "ooopsie" last month which I doubled down on to cut out that source and make sure I never see him again if I can help it.. Now my thing is I have a chronic pain nerve pain condition that is being controlled with Amitryptyline right now (barely, it just takes the edge off) because I got in too deep with opiates. now I don't want to go back on heavy medication but I got a hold of a few xanax .5's and a 10 mg valium which I used 3x over the course of two weeks (once about 2.5 weeks ago on the valium, a 10 mg valium 2 weeks ago) and the .5 mg Xanax last night. Now I'm not a Xanax boy. I took like ONE of the .5's during the throws of my opiate wd's months ago and a valium like 3 years ago from my dr. before a cystoctomy (a sucky ass procedure let me tell you that). I got ahold of a couple of these pills just because I was desperate for a couple nights of sleep and only used 3 of them over the last 2.5 weeks (one of them was like 2.5 mg's of valium, the next was 5 days later at 10 mg valium and then 2 weeks later I had one .5 mg xanax). Now I started reading up on how shitty benzos are and that TERRIFIED the living crap out of me and I proceeded to flush the other two .5 mg xanny's down the toilet and figure I can live with a little sleeplessness from my condition. I know this is probably a non issue, but is there any dependency issues from using those 3 tiny doses over 2.5 weeks ??? I REFUSE to start another addiction (I still sometimes combat the desire for perc's or hydros now and again), especially one that has wd's as terrifying as Xanax from my reading on here.

I know the question is probably just me being overly sensitive and scared of starting another addiction, but all I read was how "easy it is for benzos to sneak up on you" as if it was a near instant addiction with very little time frame. So my mind has been going through knots worried I might see some after these three small doses and I have to go through my calming exercises lol

I know this may seem pedestrian and common knowledge to you guys but I was never the "drug" guy growing up. I never even smoked pot until a couple years ago when I gained this condition and was begging my dr. for ANYTHING to help with it. Hell I even hated taking Ibuprofen! I just got in over my head with prescription pain killers like percs and vic's when my obsessive personality realized how nice it was if I added an extra pill on top of my prescription and I chipped away for a while. I'm just figuring out how bad some of these medications my dr. says to try actually are in the long term and I desperately don't want to be a junkie. Even though this condition saps a lot out of me

Last edited:
I highly doubt you'll notice any dependency based on that amount of use. You'll be fine.

I suffer with Myofascial Syndrome, which like you, is being treated with 50mg of Amiltryptaline every night. Through the course of finding out my condition, I've climbed through all sorts of pain killers, starting with NSAIDs like Naproxen, all the way up to Subutex, with lots in between (Codeine, Dicloneflanac, Tramadol, Pregablin, GabaPentin etc)

For the pain you seem to be describing, the only two meds that seem to have any real benefit (The opiates work to an extent, but you're still left with the major uncomfort of muscle spasms,in my case) are Amiltryptaline and GabaPentin, I decided to stick the Amil because my tolerance to GabaPentin grew and it became ineffective, after being on 1200 - 1800mg a day.

If you're just taking it as and when needed, alongside your usual routine of Amil, I'd try get the doc to prescribe you GabaPentin, as for the time It worked with me, it worked wonders. Yes it did stop working, but that was from daily use, if you're only using it a couple of times a week/fortnight, I think it wouldbe very helpful :) Traditional Analgesics don't seem to work too well with Myofascial syndrome / Fibromalgyia, hence why docs tend to use Trycyclic antidepressants or Neuroleptic meds.

Benzo's are sometimes used for muscular problems, yes, but as far as I'm aware, it's usually Clonazepam / Klonopin, I doubt many / any docs would prescribe Xanax of all things for this sort of pain, as I'd say out of all benzos Xanax would be the least muscle relaxant,