• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

XANAX and Weight Gain?

drfeelgood1

Bluelighter
Hi all,

Ever since I have been taking XANAX 1mg per day, I notice that I am heavier than usual with symptoms like stomach cramps, bloating, and gas.
I am working out every night doing push ups, curl ups, and sit ups and I am not seeing any positive results.
As a matter of fact, I barely eat. Maybe one meal a day and that's it with drinking a lot of water.

My wild guess is this >>> Since Xanax is a sedative (like other benzos), it not only sedates the central nervous system, but will sedate the metabolism or slow your metabolism rate way down and therefore resulting in extra weight gain. But this is only my guess, I am not a Dr.

So my question is basically, does XANAX make people gain weight?

Thanks

can't talk for all, but i on xanax for 2 years now, and still have a fast metabolism and not gained 1 pound, thinking well i lost weight on it.

Last edited:
benzos in general give me the munchies. but one meal per day...? hmm

Having anxiety and the resulting adrenaline surges increase your caloric output all day long whereas exercise will do it only for a bit. So with the xanax youre taking away all those hours of nervous energy expenditure. Youre most likely bloated from eating 1 meal a day but it could be the xanax.