View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Xanax and mushrooms.

Meow1243

Bluelighter
I have very limited experience with psychedelics. I've done mushrooms 3 times in my life and MDMA (untested) several times, if you count that as "tripping". With that being said 2 of the 3 mushroom trips were quite unpleasant due to anxiety.

However my very first mushroom trip was absolutely wonderful and surprisingly it was my highest dose. I know that it may seem a bit unlikely but I ended up consuming roughly 7 grams my first time, so I think it's safe to say that I am capable of enjoying a mushroom trip.

My 1st and 2nd experiences were about 4 years ago. About 3-4 weeks ago I consumed a low dose (1 gram, my 3rd experience with mushrooms) and I experienced a very uncomfortable body high which caused me to feel pretty anxious. My friends are planning on doing them again in a few weeks and I want to join them.

I want to enjoy the shrooms like I did the first time but I feel like my anxiety is getting in the way of that. I've heard of people taking benzos during a trip to reduce anxiety and I was wondering if that would be a good idea. My mom gave me one of her xanax pills (2 milligrams) to try out to see how it affected my sober. If it agrees with me I was thinking that I could take a pill with the mushrooms.

I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with xanax and mushrooms. What is your roa with the xanax and how do you time it? How much do you take? I've been told that benzos can diminish the effects of the trip, but I was thinking that it may be a good way to get me comfortable with the shrooms again.

You should be fine. One time on acid, I was on a HARSH comeup, I was nauseous and my heart was pounding so damn hard, I was shaking to the point where it was difficult to pick my valium up off the table, but 30 minutes later I was totally fine and had a great trip. Visuals may be decreased but the trippiness will remain. I'd say take 1mg to start out and take another if you need to, which you probably won't as long as you're not a heavy drinker. I recommend saving your other 1mg for the comedown, mushrooms make me feel restless and exhausted at once, I find it nice to be able to feel like you're resting when you want to. also, just eat it, but make sure to have some ginger too so that you don't throw it up.

I'd say take 1mg to start out and take another if you need to, which you probably won't as long as you're not a heavy drinker.
What does drinking have to do with taking a xanax? I don't plan on combining alcohol and mushrooms if that's what you were thinking.

xanax just kills the trip. I would take .5mg to make a trip more calm. You better have strong shrooms though. For lsd its nice, .5mg xanax and 100mcg lsd is a nice social-able trip for me.

Find some good Lucy. Its cheap and worth it. Less body load.

I like the idea that you are going to test the xanax out beforehand to see if it meshes well with you. Just know that 2mg is a pretty big dose and that you should start small. I have been taking xanax for quite a while, i am prescribe .5mg 3x a day, however I still only take .5mg when I really need it as it is a strong medicine.

Basically break your xanax bar (which is scored three times so it is in .5mg segments) into quarters and give them to your trip sitter. Don't take it unless you need it, and have him administer it to you. If you take 2mg being benzo naive you may have a blackout. Tripping and blackouts together are disastrous.

What does drinking have to do with taking a xanax? I don't plan on combining alcohol and mushrooms if that's what you were thinking.

Xanax and alcohol have cross tolerance because they act on the same receptor. If you're a heavy drinker, you will need more xanax than a non-drinker.

As a general rule, I dont ever really advise mixing drugs. That being said, a relitively low dose of xanax might help calm yourself, however I would try changing settings while you trip. ONLY take phsycedelics if you arent sad, scared, depressed, anxious, etc. phsycedelics amplify emotion. Take the shrooms when you are happy. If you can trip outdoors in a park or forest, do that (Dont get lost XD). Find a trip sitter to comfort you.

Far better looking at and breaking through any anxiety which is a simple transitory fight-flight reaction of the primitive part of your brain as the higher end activates imo (bit metaphoric) - I'd only take a benzo if things were unworkably bad or for a comedown - benzos turn you into a retard at some level - ok I like them and dose is everything - first time on xanax 2mg was like having my brain knocked out and lying around in a stupour - lol that's most of my reaction to shrooms actually but you get my point and why I prefer other psychedelics but still wouldn't start with xanax - might give you an insight or teach you to live with anxiety. Good set setting intention

Idk, with my most recent trip I acknowledged that I was starting to become anxious. At first I tried to resist but then decided to try and face and accept it. It seemed to me that the majority of my anxiety was due to how uncomfortable I felt.

So I got up and walked around, went outside, changed my clothes, tried to use the bathroom, etc. I understand that it can be good to face your anxiety and that sometimes you can learn something of it. But in my most recent experience it just seemed like pointless anxiety about an uncomfortable feeling and nothing deeper than that.

I was in a fantastic mood prior to ingesting, laughing and chatting with my friends I felt very at ease. Sometimes it's good to ride things out I can get that, but I seemed to gain/learn nothing from sitting uncomfortably for several hours, I think a benzo would have done me well :p

I was on xanax a couple hours prior to eating shrooms one time and it made me feel semi nauseous after eating the shrooms which usually never happens to me but the shroom experience was exellent as usual.

I was on xanax a couple hours prior to eating shrooms one time and it made me feel semi nauseous after eating the shrooms which usually never happens to me but the shroom experience was exellent as usual.

It happens. Shrooms are actually known to cause digestive problems while Alp will help...

I have done mushrooms quite a bit in my life, and have had some of the most challenging, rewarding, and uncomfortable experiences of my life doing so, especially high doses. I find that capsulizing the shrooms causes less stomach discomfort for me, but shit, the come up with capped mushrooms is FAST. You take them and within 15 minutes, you start getting the "now I close my eyes and see cartoon characters surrounding me" moment. I know that sounds cliche', but I get that weird, brightly colored (usually predominantly yellow, red) closed-eye visuals that are really bizarre, especially on 5+ grams. I also dislike the insane tearing, congestion, and urinating that I get late in the trip. I've taken valium before mushroom trips and it certainly helps keep the anxiety down, and as long as you don't over do it, they can make a trip smoother. Like some else said, though, that sometimes fighting through the anxiety can be rewarding and it's surprising sometimes how quickly it goes away if you battle it. It's scary, at times, but I think that anxiety is inherent in psychedelic trips anyway, and that the catastrophic thinking that sometimes goes with high anxiety is what fucks with many peoples heads, especially on the come up or with a big dose. I remember taking such big doses of LSD that I literally forgot that I took a drug, didn't know who I was, and was locked in a thought loop trying to figure things out for quite some time. In panic mode, of course. I got over it, and went on to have a really powerful experience. It is always good to have a benzo kicking around, even for peace of mind.

OK - first of all, I'm very experienced with all of the substances mentioned in this thread.

DO NOT take 2mg of xanax before tripping... most likely it will kill most of the trip. Xanax is so short acting (you will start feeling it within 15-20 minutes).

Mixing a little alcohol with LSD is my favorite. I haven't drank on mushrooms, but I also have regular general anxiety during the day... which carries into my trips... so I do intend to try mixing mushrooms with 2-3 drinks during the comeup/peak onset in the near future.

Xanax is something you should take as a last resort, or in minimum effective doses. Try a .5mg with your initial dose, and I almost guarantee you'll be golden. If you feel uncomfortable, take another half milligram at the peak (wait as long as you can bear it though... benzos are downers that push out a lot of the "sharp psychedelic mindset" that I love) and save the 1mg left over for the very end to end the trip at 6/7 hours.

-b

Get comfortable with shrooms with a ~1g dose (a little more if you're comfortable, a little less if you're sensitive)... I LOVE 1g trips... it's less of a trip and more of a "getting your feet wet"... you'll be able to much better judge and realize you don't WANT any xanax... but if you NEED it... you'll want to keep it to a minimum to preserve the beautiful crystalline nature of the psychedelic mindset.

I don't understand why everyone always insists that xanax or benzos kill a trip. They don't. They may dull it out, but mostly make it more manageable. APs would kill a trip but not benzos. I've done it dozens of times and never had any trip ever killed. I would wait until you are having a difficult time but a low dose isn't that big of a deal.

I agree jammin

I used to LSD along with many many valuim (normally between 50-70mg by the end of the trip) and tripped just fine every time!

Matter of fact I got to where I was enjoying it better that way,...the euphoria was off the charts awesome!

Xanax and 🍄 are great if uv ever had that anxiety clammie hands little uncomfortable feeling none of that completely relaxed able ta enjoy visuals or trailing with no stress I highly recommend

In the spirit of harm reduction, I encourage you to peruse this site:

And ideally, don't ever mess with benzos - they are toxic poison that gets you a little high. Extreme cost, little reward