• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos xanax and IQ

xannyhead

Bluelighter
I used to pop a 1-2mg xanax every other week or month, but yesterday I ended up taking 4mg and blacking out. Is there a possibility of IQ loss long term?

Edit: It may have been 6mg
edit: Im 16 y o

Last edited:
It's doubtful that you'll lose IQ from one blackout, but if you keep going blackout you might lose some IQ points in the short term.

I just thought itd be a fun night chillin on xanax but ended up popping more xanax and blacking out, but I didnt hurt myself or anything

What are your plans with the Xanax in the future?

You are young and your brains are still developing and consuming drugs during that time may have profound effects in the future.

Do you have any other ways to chill out than just the Xanax?

What are your plans with the Xanax in the future?

You are young and your brains are still developing and consuming drugs during that time may have profound effects in the future.

Do you have any other ways to chill out than just the Xanax?

Im used to doing xanax every now and then but I think after this blackout ill quit this habit. It was not fun at all. I dont think ill be doing drugs anymore.

That sounds great.
You will have time to do drugs in the future if you want after growing up and getting a proper education and such.

I agree, ill wait until my brain is fully developed to experiment with the cooler drugs ;)

How old are you? It fine if you don't want to answer. I'm just curious because i experimented with xanax at high doses when i was 16-18.

I don't feel as though i lost any smarts from the stupid things i did with xanax but i did gain a deep appreciation for how dangerous these drugs can be. I hope you can develop that same appreciation because fucking around with benzos only leads to blackouts and stupid decisions IMO.

How old are you? It fine if you don't want to answer. I'm just curious because i experimented with xanax at high doses when i was 16-18.

I don't feel as though i lost any smarts from the stupid things i did with xanax but i did gain a deep appreciation for how dangerous these drugs can be. I hope you can develop that same appreciation because fucking around with benzos only leads to blackouts and stupid decisions IMO.

im 16 lol

you're name made me raise my eyebrow, my really close friend made one of his social media names "(his name)apam" in homage to clonazepam. He was always saying "oh its just a funny screen name, I don't even take it that much" and he'd joke that he was just trying to be edgy. At the end he had been to rehab 3x for alcohol and various benzos, finally for IV clonazolam, and that one did him in.

For IQ, drugs aren't really going to destroy your IQ like that.........generally speaking, taking too much probably wont make you dumb. at least not permanently. There are special circumstances, like a severe overdose leaving your brain starved of oxygen long enough to cause brain damage, but this is something that benzos dont normally do, even in big stupid doses. taking huge doses of drugs that cause respritory depression, that are neurotoxic, or that mess with nerve transmission or other stuff like that are the only ways I can think of off the top of my head that would drop your IQ the way you took your xanax.......single large use.

BUT, xanax and other benzos are notorious for making people feel dull, dead, and zombie like when they take them long term. Since benzos, especially xanax, have amnesiac properties, they really fuck with your short term memory and your ability to hold info for long periods of time.......the ability to remember. Long term use will make your IQ drop because you will find dificulty remembering things from really long ago, and things from when you were taking the benzos..........and if you get to chronic use that could be a pretty big chunk of time living in the fog.

I guess the point is......................single use will not drop your IQ, but be very very wary of using too much and ending up in a daily use cycle. Its easier to get there than you think and very hard to get out of it

The question I have is why are you taking the most aggressive and strongest benzodiazepine at such a young age?

The first time I experimented with it I was 26 but had a long history of severe anxiety and panic attacks and originally received a short term prescription from my local GP until I seen a psychiatrist.

Are you using it recreationally or self medicating because of mental health conditions you're experiencing?

Believe me when I say it's not difficult to build up a dependence to alprazolam. It will catch you by surprise and it will fuck your life up. I ended up in hospital as a result of withdrawal symptoms, Nearly had multiple seizures, Couldn't taper down any less than 3 bars a day and had to substitute diazepam for alprazolam so it could cover me for the withdrawal seizures and symptoms because of the longer half life.

I haven't had alprazolam for a month or so now and I'm down to 1 diazepam a day.

Keep in mind 1 2mg xanax bar if dosed properly is equivalent to 6-8 diazepam tablets.

Please stop whilst you're ahead for your own sake. I wouldn't wish alprazolam withdrawals upon my worst enemy.

I'm lucky I didn't end up in a clinic for 3-6 months but thankfully I have a strong mind. I didn't find them addictive per-say I just found it difficult to stop taking them because of the withdrawal symptoms as a result of the dependence I built up. Even tapering down by 1/4 bar every fortnight felt like too much.

The reason why I took them was because I enjoyed the relief of feeling like a normal person after a long history of mental health conditions. If you're taking them recreationally you should stop immediately as they provide no recreational enjoyment.

If you really feel like you need them go talk to your GP regarding them and get seek proper medical advice.

I can assure you, You'll have a difficult time trying to get a prescription unless you've gone through cycles of SSRI's and anti-psychotics. Benzodiazepines are literally the last line of medicinal treatment after them.

If you are taking them for mental health purposes and self medicating feel free to speak up and I'm sure I can offer you some advice. Psychologists are generally a good place to start, Dietary changes, Sun exposure, Exercise regimes, Forcing yourself out of your comfort zone and even animals are all therapeutic.

No, that one time won't mess up your IQ. Don't do it daily. Don't get addicted. Do NOT get addicted to benzos just stop using them I mean you're only using them recreationally once in a while anyway so it shouldn't be too bad to stop.

Not unless you bumped your head on the way down, or found a way to chill out for a while in a hypoxic state.