• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids WTF: Oxy Doesn't Work for Throat/Ear Pain?

Sweet Jane

Bluelighter
I am prescribed 240 mg of quick release oxycontin per day for going on three years. If you've guessed that my tolerance is pretty much out of the world by now, you'd be right. The medication is pure bliss for my back injuries; nothing has ever worked as well at getting rid of the pain as the QR Oxy. Right now, however, I find myself stuck with a bronchial infection and on antibiotics. I don't even ask for any pain meds besides my oxy, but I'm having a real problem in that the oxy is doing pretty much nothing for the throat and ear pain, which is agonizing -- like swallowing glass. Is this a common reaction? Cause the bottom line is I don't want to waste my oxy if I'm still going to be in pain. And it really is feeling like a waste. Are other pain meds more effective than oxy for this kind of pain? If so, should I tell my Doctor and ask for some kind of cough syrup plus? I honestly think it's my tolerance that causes the problem, because before I had chronic and severe back pain as a result of bad surgery, vicodin worked really well at relieving throat and ear pain.Of course, I only used it every couple of years back then. Doubtful vicodin would touch my pain now. But, I also have pretty good access to liquid morphine and a limited amount of access to opana. The opana is super low dosage though.

Has anyone else experienced that pain meds that work well for one ailment don't have the same effect on another? Is it a red flag if I go to my doctor with this problem? Is morphine a better choice just for keeping the pain at bay while I'm experiencing this problem? Thanks in advance for the advice; it is greatly appreciated!

Also, my apologizes if this is in the wrong thread. This seemed to be the most relevant, but please feel free to move it if it belongs elsewhere.

If your opana is the immediate release you could IV them, but that is only if you already have a habit of that.

The morphine liquid could easily be plugged.

Reduce dose from oral dose accordingly for each method and their changed bioavailability

Damn I can't imagine taking 240 mgs of oxy a day..I'd be so lethargic and apathetic I think..plus, coming off ugh..

To the point of pain, I honestly don't think oxy is a great pain reliever when it comes to many different types of pain..when it comes to back pain I've found kratom to be much more effective than oxy..u might want to give it a shot..opiates don't seem to be effective for a few types of pain even though most think they are the end all be all

Have you tried topical anesthetics, like lidocaine or benzocaine lozenges for your throat pain?

I am prescribed 240 mg of quick release oxycontin per day for going on three years. If you've guessed that my tolerance is pretty much out of the world by now, you'd be right. The medication is pure bliss for my back injuries; nothing has ever worked as well at getting rid of the pain as the QR Oxy. Right now, however, I find myself stuck with a bronchial infection and on antibiotics. I don't even ask for any pain meds besides my oxy, but I'm having a real problem in that the oxy is doing pretty much nothing for the throat and ear pain, which is agonizing -- like swallowing glass. Is this a common reaction? Cause the bottom line is I don't want to waste my oxy if I'm still going to be in pain. And it really is feeling like a waste. Are other pain meds more effective than oxy for this kind of pain? If so, should I tell my Doctor and ask for some kind of cough syrup plus? I honestly think it's my tolerance that causes the problem, because before I had chronic and severe back pain as a result of bad surgery, vicodin worked really well at relieving throat and ear pain.Of course, I only used it every couple of years back then. Doubtful vicodin would touch my pain now. But, I also have pretty good access to liquid morphine and a limited amount of access to opana. The opana is super low dosage though.

Has anyone else experienced that pain meds that work well for one ailment don't have the same effect on another? Is it a red flag if I go to my doctor with this problem? Is morphine a better choice just for keeping the pain at bay while I'm experiencing this problem? Thanks in advance for the advice; it is greatly appreciated!

Also, my apologizes if this is in the wrong thread. This seemed to be the most relevant, but please feel free to move it if it belongs elsewhere.

u-opioid doesn't block that type of pain, like infection pain, mouth sore, exotic spider bites etc. you need to use the serotonin and dopamine channels. I know that with enough dopamine, any sharp pain is turned into a pleasant sensation, it just changes the way the signal is received.

You'll be better off taking an anti inflammatory like ibuprofen. Dont believe me just try it anyway? What you got to lose.. I had a similar experience once and taking more opiods didn't work but ibuprofen shure did..

I was in the hospital before , insanely sick, and I got pumped full of morphine all day long. But I could barely swallow at all. Even water. Nothing eased my sore ridden throat until they gave me a kickass anti inflammatory. I had the swallowing glass feeling. After that felt more like a sore throat.

Definitely try an anti-inflammatory. Can ask doc for viscous lidocaine or magic mouthwash for the throat pain. Narcotics aren't good at relieving that type of pain.