View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

WSP eyes new marijuana DUI testing technology

poledriver

Bluelighter
WSP eyes new marijuana DUI testing technology

635894826141138665-WSUMarijuanaBreathalyzer.JPG

SEATTLE -- Washington state troopers are keeping a close eye on their colleagues in Colorado who continue testing new technology aimed at keeping drivers high on marijuana off the road.

Law enforcement officers in Washington currently don't have a device to detect pot or other drugs. They depend on their skills and the standard field sobriety test. Across the country and around the world, a wide-range of machines are being developed and tested similar to Washington State University’s marijuana breathalyzer.

"Whether it's measuring THC on the breath or in the saliva, some are looking at transdermal applications, so just measuring off of sweat from the body,” said Lt. Rob Sharpe with the Washington State Patrol.

Sharpe is the impaired driving section commander with WSP. He says, predominantly, saliva detection is being tested in different jurisdictions outside of Washington state. More than 125 troopers in Colorado are working with the new technology. WSP says there's simply not enough science for state officials in Washington to feel confident yet.

"If we're going to adopt something in Washington, we want to make sure it's very reliable and accurate and doesn't suffer from false positives or false negatives that could occur,” said Sharpe.

Under current procedures, a warrant is requested for a blood draw following a DUI arrest. WSP says that will continue to happen even when new technology is adopted by the state.

WSP has a full-time librarian collecting studies from around the world on new testing mechanisms that could work well for troopers in the Evergreen State.

"Right now we're just waiting on validation of these test devices and then we'll make a determination after that for their accuracy, precision and reliability,” said Sharpe.

WSP says it doesn't see a front-runner among new technology, yet, and there is no timeline on when troopers could be carrying new testing machines.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/loc...w-marijuana-dui-testing-technology/79393172/#

Fuck the pigs
Fuck the feds
An fuck the stupid assholes wasting their time to create more drug users grief because it's profitable.

It's weed... we could be saving lives here..

At least they seem to be trying to avoid the massive shuts how that is drug driving roadside saliva testing going on in Australia rn.

I just saw the title and I was wondering why Widespread Panic would care about a cannabis DUI test.

It's also a real issue that cannabis has not been proven to cause impairment in driving. In fact, it's shown the opposite.

And for myself, I know smoking while driving keeps me SANE. I would be much much more likely to kill somebody on the road out of anger if I didn't have joints to smoke in traffic.

The pic in the article looks like the guy is using some sort of vape =D