• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Would Venlefaxine (Effexor) metabolise methadone?

doves7171

Greenlighter
I am long term opioid dependent and currently on Suboxone. I am considering a shift to go back on Methadone. Problem is when I was previously on Methadone (90mg once per day) I was going into withdrawal early, lethargy and anxiety. It felt like the methadone was being metabolized too quickly in my body. When I was on the Methadone (90mg) I was also taking Effexor (venlefaxine) 150mg. Could it be that the venlefaxine is metabolizing the methadone too fast? Thanks for any help on this.....

I am long term opioid dependent and currently on Suboxone. I am considering a shift to go back on Methadone. Problem is when I was previously on Methadone (90mg once per day) I was going into withdrawal early, lethargy and anxiety. It felt like the methadone was being metabolized too quickly in my body. When I was on the Methadone (90mg) I was also taking Effexor (venlefaxine) 150mg. Could it be that the venlefaxine is metabolizing the methadone too fast? Thanks for any help on this.....
Talk to your doctor and the medical professionals that prescribe you the Effexor and methadone.

I'm going to move this to Other Drugs where you'll get answers.

Methadone is mostly metabolized by cyp3a4. Effexor has no effect on that enzyme. It's extremely unlikely this is the cause.

Are you taking any other drugs/meds/supplements? Even things like cigarettes can induce certain enzymes which would make you metabolize faster.

In fact even prilosec (omeprazole) induces cyp3a4.

Thanks for the info...I’m an e-cigarette Vaper I do about 50 to 70 mg liquid nicotine a day, I don’t do tobacco or any other drugs nowadays. I’ve been on Suboxone since 2014, 12 months on methadone from 2017, I felt great on M but I just seem to metabolise it really quickly, that allows for a nice ‘up’ feeling each day but the comedown for me was waking up like I was in a withdrawal state, not full-on withdrawal but slightly.
i had some serious stress in my life in 2017 which is why I went onto Methadone, so I’m not sure if it was the mental stress at the time or in fact I am a fast metaboliser of Methadone. Currently I’m on Suboxone and subs don’t cause this withdrawal metabolising that I experienced on Methadone. Perhaps I should stay on Subs. Sometimes I just miss the great lift that Methadone gave me that I don’t really get on subs. Cheers.

Thanks for the info...I’m an e-cigarette Vaper I do about 50 to 70 mg liquid nicotine a day, I don’t do tobacco or any other drugs nowadays. I’ve been on Suboxone since 2014, 12 months on methadone from 2017, I felt great on M but I just seem to metabolise it really quickly, that allows for a nice ‘up’ feeling each day but the comedown for me was waking up like I was in a withdrawal state, not full-on withdrawal but slightly.
i had some serious stress in my life in 2017 which is why I went onto Methadone, so I’m not sure if it was the mental stress at the time or in fact I am a fast metaboliser of Methadone. Currently I’m on Suboxone and subs don’t cause this withdrawal metabolising that I experienced on Methadone. Perhaps I should stay on Subs. Sometimes I just miss the great lift that Methadone gave me that I don’t really get on subs. Cheers.

It's all good man. Withdrawals can be weird, too. Sometimes I can psychologically put myself in wd just by imagining I'm going through it. I've gone through it so many times it's like nightmares or PTSD.

I highly suggest you stay on subs vs methadone.

Also it's tobacco with it's other alkaloids in the smoke, not nicotine itself which induces that enzyme (but has nothing to do with methadone).

Welcome to BL friend!

Thanks man, i've often come to Bluelight for info and insight.
Yeah probably good advice staying on Subs. Do you agree I would only be chasing a high and quite possibly taken back into early withdrawal and metabolization of the Methadone.