• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Would this work to extract fentanyl?

OpialiciouslyMe

Bluelighter
I have a used fentanyl patch that I've kept because I know it still contains plenty of fentanyl and I kept it in case I get desperate and in withdrawal.
I remember finding a post on here saying you can extract it from the patch with methanol.
I don't wanna buy methanol just for this and also because I can't spend really anything unless absolutely necessary so I was wondering if isopropyl alcohol 99% or maybe even some spirit like vodka or rum could work to get some of that fentanyl out of the patch. I also have acetone but don't think that is any good for this.
I assume ethanol or isopropyl alcohol are very similar to methanol so they should work?
The patch is the matrix type.
I'm not interested in any other way of repurposing the used patch.
I'm also very aware of all the risks with fentanyl. It would be done strictly orally and volumetrically measured. I have milligram scales.
Thanks in advance if anyone replies.

If you are going to take it orally just suspend it in some high proof ethanol. Problem is, you wont know the concentration of fentanyl so start slow.

Yeah pretty sure ethanol or isopropanol would work, and would be safer than methanol, too. The best bet would be to use ethanol since it's much safer to consume than iso or methanol.

I have a used fentanyl patch that I've kept because I know it still contains plenty of fentanyl and I kept it in case I get desperate and in withdrawal.
I remember finding a post on here saying you can extract it from the patch with methanol.
I don't wanna buy methanol just for this and also because I can't spend really anything unless absolutely necessary so I was wondering if isopropyl alcohol 99% or maybe even some spirit like vodka or rum could work to get some of that fentanyl out of the patch. I also have acetone but don't think that is any good for this.
I assume ethanol or isopropyl alcohol are very similar to methanol so they should work?
The patch is the matrix type.
I'm not interested in any other way of repurposing the used patch.
I'm also very aware of all the risks with fentanyl. It would be done strictly orally and volumetrically measured. I have milligram scales.
Thanks in advance if anyone replies.
You don't know how much Fentanyl is in a used patch. You could do a rough calculation and come up with a rough result but that's about as good as it's going to get. Far too many variables to take into account in order to achieve even a modicum of accuracy.

Methanol is the ONLY solvent that results in a 100% extraction and in minutes and without heat. All of the others mentioned, both here and on the megathread on this topic, require soaking for extended periods of time (in some cases days) and even then the extraction efficiency is questionable. Bearing in mind the formulation of the delivery mechanisms have changed in recent years in an effort to combat this practice.

I assume by "strictly orally" you mean sublingual? The bio availability of orally ingested Fentanyl is very low. Sublingual not that low (even although saliva actually destroys Fentanyl).

A few drops of Methanol sublingual never killed anyone (note that I said drops, as in a few drops from an eye dropper for example, not millilitres). Burns like hell and tastes foul of course. And in order to be effective requires at least a minute to be absorbed sublingual. Takes some doing to suppress involuntary swallowing but it's a skill like everything I guess.

Not sure why you figure you need a scale. All you need to know is a) how much Methanol you used and b) how much Fentanyl is supposedly in the patch (and which as noted with a used patch you cannot know for a certainty). You're not going to end up with powder if that's what you're thinking.

Important to note that the above not applicable to IV use i.e. you cannot IV Methanol. But this a whole other topic and that involves evaporation of the Methanol and very careful titration with purified water, citric acid, and ethanol and not to mention a wheel filter.

No offense but I'm always wary when somebody says they know the risks. Especially when it comes to Fentanyl patches and extraction. And dare I even say the pharmacological action of Fentanyl and its peculiarities in general. But who am I to question what with not being a user i.e. I only present the science and information based on my own research and testing (and am obviously opioid intolerant). All I can tell you for sure is that the result, assuming a 100% successful extraction, does not result in some garden variety watered down and tainted solution of inferior quality. It hits hard and can take you by surprise and catch you off guard.

Not sure how any of this could be beneficial in mitigating withdrawal either. Fentanyl has a short duration of action. Although in fairness: it has a relatively long blood plasma half life and a fairly long elimination half life (both of which few are aware of). Therein lies a problem of course i.e. propensity to re-dose for effect while blood plasma concentrations are steadily rising.

And one thing that cannot be stressed enough: use with anything else flowing around in your bloodstream, in particular other opioids and/or benzodiazepines, is a recipe for disaster i.e. effects are magnified exponentially. An extremely high percentage of supposed Fentanyl related deaths are not as a result of Fentanyl being used on its own i.e. up to 70% as a matter of fact (that according to recent figures out of the UK and Scotland for starters). Not saying it's benign on its own. Far from it. But facts are facts. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater shall we!

One last piece of advice: don't go relying on perceived or assumed opioid tolerance when it comes to Fentanyl either. There's a good reason why it's top in its class.

You don't know how much Fentanyl is in a used patch. You could do a rough calculation and come up with a rough result but that's about as good as it's going to get. Far too many variables to take into account in order to achieve even a modicum of accuracy.

Methanol is the ONLY solvent that results in a 100% extraction and in minutes and without heat. All of the others mentioned, both here and on the megathread on this topic, require soaking for extended periods of time (in some cases days) and even then the extraction efficiency is questionable. Bearing in mind the formulation of the delivery mechanisms have changed in recent years in an effort to combat this practice.

I assume by "strictly orally" you mean sublingual? The bio availability of orally ingested Fentanyl is very low. Sublingual not that low (even although saliva actually destroys Fentanyl).

A few drops of Methanol sublingual never killed anyone (note that I said drops, as in a few drops from an eye dropper for example, not millilitres). Burns like hell and tastes foul of course. And in order to be effective requires at least a minute to be absorbed sublingual. Takes some doing to suppress involuntary swallowing but it's a skill like everything I guess.

Not sure why you figure you need a scale. All you need to know is a) how much Methanol you used and b) how much Fentanyl is supposedly in the patch (and which as noted with a used patch you cannot know for a certainty). You're not going to end up with powder if that's what you're thinking.

Important to note that the above not applicable to IV use i.e. you cannot IV Methanol. But this a whole other topic and that involves evaporation of the Methanol and very careful titration with purified water, citric acid, and ethanol and not to mention a wheel filter.

No offense but I'm always wary when somebody says they know the risks. Especially when it comes to Fentanyl patches and extraction. And dare I even say the pharmacological action of Fentanyl and its peculiarities in general. But who am I to question what with not being a user i.e. I only present the science and information based on my own research and testing (and am obviously opioid intolerant). All I can tell you for sure is that the result, assuming a 100% successful extraction, does not result in some garden variety watered down and tainted solution of inferior quality. It hits hard and can take you by surprise and catch you off guard.

Not sure how any of this could be beneficial in mitigating withdrawal either. Fentanyl has a short duration of action. Although in fairness: it has a relatively long blood plasma half life and a fairly long elimination half life (both of which few are aware of). Therein lies a problem of course i.e. propensity to re-dose for effect while blood plasma concentrations are steadily rising.

And one thing that cannot be stressed enough: use with anything else flowing around in your bloodstream, in particular other opioids and/or benzodiazepines, is a recipe for disaster i.e. effects are magnified exponentially. An extremely high percentage of supposed Fentanyl related deaths are not as a result of Fentanyl being used on its own i.e. up to 70% as a matter of fact (that according to recent figures out of the UK and Scotland for starters). Not saying it's benign on its own. Far from it. But facts are facts. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater shall we!

One last piece of advice: don't go relying on perceived or assumed opioid tolerance when it comes to Fentanyl either. There's a good reason why it's top in its class.
Thanks for the reply.
Thanks for the other two replies I got as well. I appreciate all the info!
I know I have no idea about how much fentanyl it's left in the patch. It's a 50mcg one by the way.
I was gonne let the solvent evaporate and measure out a quantity I can actually measure (cannot see micrograms but I can measure milligrams) of what should be fentanyl and then do a water solution to have a known amount of fentanyl per ml of water.
I know it wouldn't be perfect but anyway oral fentanyl is more "forgiving" as bioavailability is crap. Of course I wouldn't use with other depressants. When I had the patch on I didn't do any mixing. I was very strict with that.
I assume fentanyl will do something for withdrawal being an opioid. I don't care if I don't get high. That's not why I'd use it. It would be just as an emergency till I get some other opioid to use that's safer.

I know bioavailability is not great orally but that would be ok so less chance of accidental overdose. I'm not interested in maximum bioavailability with this.
So I'm not even interested in a perfect extraction either.
I don't IV and I'm opioid tolerant. Done fentanyl already like I said and heroin, methadone, buprenorphine, hydromorphone, oxycodone etc. I'm not saying it to brag. Just to say I am not someone who wants to do some fentanyl without being experienced already with these substances. I'm aware of all the risks in the sense that I know it's measured in micrograms and it's a potent opioid and many have overdosed on it.
I wouldn't wanna take an unknown amount of it so I would wanna attempt some volumetric measurements. It's also why I would do it orally only as it's not absorbed optimally that way so it would be safer.
I think I've done pretty much all the opioids available in the UK to get at this point and I've been using for 4 years or so by now.
Trust me, I've been reading about how fentanyl is dangerous for years now and I was very cautious even just when using it as prescribed.
Methanol is toxic, isn't it? Yeah, I wouldn't drink anything that still has methanol in it. I would have to let it evaporate completely after the extraction. Or use ethanol, which is drinkable at least.
I read a study where a woman got fentanyl out of the patch just by boiling it in water. That seems even more straightforward.
By the way I do have wheel filters and even pure citric acid (which I used to clean limescale lol). I don't IV but I have a couple of sterile wheel filters around.

Anyway this idea is really just an emergency plan. I'm not at that stage yet as I'm doing poppy pods at the moment till I can get some pharmaceuticals again so I'm ok for now.
I'd rather avoid doing fentanyl extracted that way if I can!

Last edited:
Wouldn't you be able to be sure of the amount in a patch? It's produced by a pharmaceutical company and I'm pretty sure there would be major issues for them if they weren't accurate with fentanyl. I mean unless you got them from a dodgy overseas company from a place with no quality controls enforced.

It's a 50mcg one by the way.
Be careful, the patch is supposed to deliver 50mcg/h but the total amount of fentanyl is much higher (usually a couple of milligrams depending on the brand). As others have said, that's the first thing you'd need to figure out.

Be careful, the patch is supposed to deliver 50mcg/h but the total amount of fentanyl is much higher (usually a couple of milligrams depending on the brand). As others have said, that's the first thing you'd need to figure out.
Of course. I know that's the amount per hour if you use it transdermally only. That's why my idea would be to measure a known amount of the extracted fentanyl and dilute in water for a volumetric
solution.

@Xorkoth yes, it's a pharmaceutical one and legit but I have worn it already so it's been used.
I'm not sure how much fentanyl is left actually in it and also the amount extracted could be anything depending on how effective my extraction is.
I assume if I use ethanol for example it won't be anywhere near 100% so I could be left with any amount.
I'd rather measure a small amount and dilute in lots of water so I know roughly the concentration than rely blindly on how much fentanyl there could be in total in the patch.
Thanks for the replies! I'm more and more convinced not to attempt this anyway.

Last edited:
You'll need to look up solubility. I just found a chemical fact sheet on google that says it's soluble in alcohols and not very soluble in water. Since it is only a few milligrams, any amount of vodka that would be practical to use should dissolve it all no problem, unless it's bound up in some sort of matrix or something when it's made into a transdermal patch. Definitely proceed as if you are dissolving all of whatever is left if you use alcohol. Since you don't know how much is left from you wearing it, it'll be dangerous to dose, I guess you'd just want to start small as if none of it had been consumed when you wore it (the strongest it could potentially be), and work up from there, carefully.

Definitely better to just wear it.

Ordinarily I'd have left this thread where it was. Particularly given that the OP has decided it's not a great idea.

Unfortunately on this particular topic though: details are everything.

I'm going to try my best to not launch into some or the other thesis on the topic though i.e. been there and did that last year already.

Let me begin by clearing something up in my own post above on this topic. Bear in mind that my research and experimentation on this particular topic was in the interests of science, debunking of some myths posted around these parts and others, interest in patch construction and delivery mechanisms, and testing the efficiency of extraction methods. Point being: the results were never intended for general use (as ridiculous a statement as that sounds).

I mention the above because of my reference to extractions using Methanol and the few drops to which I referred to. By no means was I, nor am I, advocating that somebody uses Methanol to extract and makes a shooter or shot or cocktail of Fentanyl in Methanol. Methanol is a fascinating substance in and of itself but that's another entire topic of course. Suffice to say here that Methanol is extremely toxic to humans (more so than in other primates) because of what it metabolizes into in the human body. It can cause all manner of ills ranging from intoxication to blindness (temporary or permanent) to death (and an uncomfortable one at that) and starting with relatively low quantities (in the order of millilitres) (although that depends on a number of factors and which again are beyond the scope here).

Given the above it's probably best to ignore my reference to a few drops of Methanol. I cannot edit and remove the information as I've been quoted already. Suffice to say: my reference to a few drops of Methanol being used sublingual was at concentrations ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous i.e. 0.84mg/ml to 8.4mg/ml (not typos i.e. milligrams of Fentanyl per millilitre of Methanol). Obviously at lower concentrations: the Methanol would cause more harm and have more intoxicating effects than the Fentanyl itself. And obviously at the top of the range: it takes only a drop or two sublingual to take you from zero to hero to nod (and everything else extremely unpleasant in-between). And while that may sound appealing to some: I assure you it ain't.

Sorry but I had to get that (the above) out of the way in true interests of harm reduction.

Moving on...

Legitimate brand name patches will always have the total amount of Fentanyl, in milligrams, contained in a patch, printed on the packaging and on the leaflet. It's a legal requirement (FDA). This information is also easily accessible on the Internet.

In this particular case and assuming a Durogesic®/Duragesic®: a 50µg/h patch contains 8.4mg of Fentanyl in total. Be careful with this though i.e. it is manufacturer dependent. Some patches contain far more than others.

Patches are usually indicated to be worn or applied for 72 hours (3 days) but will usually contain enough Fentanyl to maintain a constant delivery for 168 hours (7 days). Long story but there's a good reason for this i.e. highly dependent on the manufacturer, type of delivery system or matrix (they're not all equal and the same), etc. Specifics aside (has to to with kinetics if you wish to go down this rabbit hole): it's obvious as to why there are warnings in regard to the correct and safe disposal of these patches.

It's also obvious that one cannot take the 50µg/h rate, multiply by 72 hours, and assume that's the total amount of Fentanyl in the patch. Far from it and probably one of the reasons why so many fuck up with these things. Assuming a Durogesic®/Duragesic® 50µg/h patch: 50µg/h x 72 hours gives you 3.6mg right? Well as noted above: that's way off of the mark. Everything being equal (delivery rates vary and depend on various factors e.g. body temperature): there still remains 4.8mg of Fentanyl in said patch after a 72 hour application (which as noted is the norm and if used as indicated and directed by most manufacturers and medical professionals).

There are various patches made under licence. Point here being: if you are in possession of some or the other unknown or obscure brand of patches then you'll usually find it's made under licence and it's sometimes necessary to trace the licence back to the licensor or patent holder in order to ascertain exact details of the patches. Be aware that counterfeit patches do exist and needless to say therein lies a potential huge risk factor and for very obvious reasons.

Fentanyl is a freestanding base while the active forms of Fentanyl exist as salts e.g. Fentanyl Citrate. Patches can contain both. The base is insoluble to slightly soluble in water but soluble in alcohols. Only the salts are soluble in both water and alcohols.

There is indeed a difference between DIA ("Drug In Adhesive") patches and polymer matrix patches. Some may say it's semantics but it's not. Note that all information posted here is NOT in reference to the old, and no longer available, gel reservoir type patches.

Any questions thus far? 🤣

Now...

There are reports of patches being steeped i.e. heated or boiled. The caveats here being that a) heat degrades Fentanyl and b) there's a possibility of melting the backing and the glue (both dependent on the amount of heat applied of course). Extraction efficiency is questionable though i.e. those that get up to such antics are usually steeping more than one patch to begin with. And it stands to reason that the strength of the brew cannot be accurately determined.

Most, if not all, harm reduction sites will advocate the heating of small pieces of a patch in purified water and citric acid (for IV anyway). However: ingestion of the same will have an effect (dare I say a more forgiving than IV though). Once again: extraction efficiency is questionable and the results can vary widely.

And the above, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, is a brief summation of last year's research on the topic! 🙂 It was at least a 10 page thread so thank your lucky stars that I'm able to summarize the same and well over a year later and from memory!

Now I am going to hand to you the (hidden?) BL keys to the Fentanyl patch kingdom. Ironically the very thread that brought me here in 2019! Not something that you could not have found yourselves of course (UTFSE). But it's fallen off of the radar. And while, at the time, it seemed to have been a rather contentious issue i.e. much debate as to whether or not such details should be provided: having been around these parts now for a decent amount of time I am definitely of the opinion that it's solid harm reduction advice. Fact of the matter is that of late, and in spite of my believing that this practice has gone out of vogue, I've seen quite a few threads on this topic being started. People are out there doing it so better they know what they're doing is my point.

Below is a link to THE post that's worth its salt on said thread. But feel free to start at the beginning of the thread i.e. there's piles of information (and misinformation) on said thread.

Needless to say I tested all solvents and alcohols mentioned on said thread as well as other methods detailed anywhere that the same can be found. Methanol is the only one that ensures a 100% extraction. From a pure harm reduction point of view: I'd have to say it's better to be able to quantify and be sure of the efficiency of the extraction rather than have to make assumptions.

Now that I've re-opened Pandora's Box on the topic note the following in reference to said thread and post:

You do NOT end up with powder or crystals after evaporation. While I've no reason to question the OP's outcome AT THE TIME (2013): the delivery mechanisms and adhesives etc. have been revisited time and time again by the manufacturers since so as to ensure that this practice and its outcome is all but impossible to achieve. What you will end up with after evaporation is an amount of Fentanyl combined with some glue residue and a trace (safe) amount of Methanol. This can be re-dissolved using purified water, citric acid, and ethanol as is described in the referenced post. Of utmost importance is the calculations for the titration method used i.e. don't get it wrong and make sure you're all too familiar with everything else I've noted above with regards to totals etc.

Worth noting that in spite of my noting earlier that the post on the link below is THE post on the thread: the OP actually got the total amount of Fentanyl wrong i.e. just made the assumption that a 75µg/h patch contained 7.5mg of Fentanyl. A dangerous assumption and mistake to have made (although in fairness it's quite possible that back then it was not mandatory to specify the total amount of Fentanyl in a patch). But the titration method, logic, and calculation is sound. Might also be worth noting that the OP was last seen a month after said post and never again.

So much for no thesis on the topic! Sorry! Did my best to summarize without sacrificing detail or being vague i.e. with this shit "the Dev6il is in the details" as they say in the classics! :devilish:

In closing: I'm not advocating any of this. What comes out of these patches is potent as hell and they're better used as indicated. And as I'm sure is blatantly obvious: there's a fair margin of error possible especially if the intention is to IV (but don't be fooled either i.e. sublingual or ingestion can also have its dire consequences).

One last piece of advice (and as has been noted already here I think): always assume that you're dealing with a 100% extraction efficiency no matter what and based on the as stated, by the manufacturer, total amount of Fentanyl in a patch. If the same is not available or not stated on the packaging then don't take a chance nor try and guess nor try and calculate.

Oh and one other little nugget that's rarely mentioned: Naloxone has a much shorter elimination half life than Fentanyl (true story). It's but one of the reasons why sometimes multiple administrations of Naloxone are required to bring somebody back from the brink of a Fentanyl OD.

For what it's worth: I'm always conflicted when posting about this shit hence my not having jumped on any of the other threads that have started over recent months on this topic. Also the main reason why I deleted months and months of legit work and research here last year. I guess my point being is that if this is not considered harm reduction and considered to be more of an enabling nature then feel free to edit or delete (although it did take a good few hours this one! 😭 ) (but no fucking warning points i.e. posted with the best of intentions I assure you! 🤣 ). I just saw this thread getting a bit of traction so figured maybe it'd be a good thing to put some of this stuff out there again and for the sake of clarity.

The above being said: "TLDR" at your own peril if for some obscure reason one decides to go down this path! It's one helluva lot of trouble, not to mention cost, for very little, and short lived at that, reward (and even the reward part is debatable especially if you factor the risks into the equation).

Last edited:
@dalpat077 wow, so I take it you're the one who made that post I read about fentanyl and methanol!
Great post above by the way. Very informative.
I appreciated it personally as it's made with harm reduction in mind and many people don't know certain things you've mentioned.
My patch is a 100% genuine pharmaceutical one.
It says right on the patch that it contains 5.50mg of fentanyl base in total by the way.

if i remember reading you can get over a 90 percent return by cutting up soaking in iso under SUPER SO LOW HEAT. NO LOWER THAN THAT! these are not the gel containing patches but the ones with the fet in the matrix WARNING DONT DO FENT, IT ISNT WORTH IT. THE DURATION THE HIGH THE DICE ROLL. Someone will trade there left leg in somethin else for it id guess..

@OpialiciouslyMe.

Yeah. Quite possibly one of my posts that you saw. I've a bad habit of second guessing some of my posts on this particular topic so sometimes, more often than not, they don't hang around for too long.

Slippery slope this particular topic. Or is it? I'm never sure.

Obviously in your case: I was preaching to the choir, in my initial response to you, insofar as opioids (including Fentanyl) are concerned! 🤣

@OpialiciouslyMe.

Yeah. Quite possibly one of my posts that you saw. I've a bad habit of second guessing some of my posts on this particular topic so sometimes, more often than not, they don't hang around for too long.

Slippery slope this particular topic. Or is it? I'm never sure.

Obviously in your case: I was preaching to the choir, in my initial response to you, insofar as opioids (including Fentanyl) are concerned! 🤣
I don't think it should be a slippery slope. It's great HR. You just might have saved someone's life after reading this.

If I was in WD and all I had was a used Fent patch how many of us would have extracted it ALL and shot it up thinking it was mcgs and it was really MG's. Maybe now opioid users will come here, see these posts, and decide to slow down a bit and think it through. One poster already decided they were going to ditch the process of extraction. If this isn't HR I don't know what is.

We aren't talking oxy's here. This stuff will kill you. And easily if you don't know what you are doing.

Worst case scenario they can throw the used patch back on for awhile. If some have been manufactured for indeed 7 days and peeps only wear them for 3 well there ya go. Smack that patch right on brother. Screw the chemical process.

I got a quick question, what is the comparable dose (aka high feeling) of a 75 microgram/h for 72hr patch with 7.5mg for each transdermal…. Equivalent to how much black tar? Let’s assume current habits at a half gram a day smoking it for 8 years now. In other words, is it comparable? Tried smoking fent a bunch and it ruled, even done that carfent stuff a few times and blew my mind. Closest thing to the IV rush from just smoking. But never tried the patches and seems like it’s hit or miss