• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Would anyone recommend SSRI's?

I take Vyvanse 70mg for add daily. I also deal with anxiety issues. I had a script for clonazepam for the longest time but that Dr retired unfortunately.

Now the new doc wants me to try zoloft along with the Vyvanse. I'm a bit nervous as the reviews of this combo seem to be mixed. I'm skeptical... not sure if I'm going to try it or not.

I honestly 100% believe I would benefit from an antidepressant. I just don't have the money to see a psychiatrist and I'm also afraid of negative effects.

I was on effexor in the past and became extremely aggressive. I was also on abilify and it made me a "zombie". Zombie = extremely nauseous, no joy in life, and extremely fatigued.

I think I would ask about lexapro or wellbutrin if I do end up going.

I suffer from: GAD, ADHD, Panic disorder, and OCD.

I'm not a doctor, but one should only take an SSRI when they absolutely need it. If you don't have depression then it may help with the anxiety but it has made some people's anxiety worse.

If its not helping you then tell the doctor. If he doesn't write benzos then there is nothing you can do. If you aren't already dependent on benzos it would be best for you in the long run to not use them too much because you WILL become dependent and the withdrawal can kill you.

There are other drugs you can use for anxiety that are less harmful, like cannabis. It does aggravate anxiety in some people so be careful. It's your choice though.. If you want to use benzos.

social anxiety is a lot different from panic attacks IMO. I had pretty bad social anxiety and also have suffered some anxiety attacks on occasion. Honestly benzos hasn't really helped my anxiety at all. My confidence to talk is still low. Now for ssri, I have a friend that is attempting one right now. He said it hasn't done anything in terms of anxiety.

Now let me tell you what worked for ME. Gabapentin is so good for social anxiety. I've said it so many times but it has been a miricle for me. I Finally don't feel liked I'm being judged all day. The withdrawal isn't very bad at all. Way easier than any benzo or ssri. I highly recommend gabapentin before trying an ssri. As ssri tend to make people "zombies" and gabapentin has gotten me to understand myself more

This is just my opinion.

Last edited:
social anxiety is a lot different from panic takes IMO. I had pretty bad anxiety and also have suffered some anxiety attacks on occasion. Honestly benzos hasn't really helped my anxiety at all. My confidence to talk is still low. Now for ssri, I have a friend that is attempting one right now. He said it hasn't done anything in terms of anxiety.

Now let me tell you what worked for ME. Gabapentin is so good for social anxiety. I've said it so many times but it has been a miricle for me. I Finally don't feel liked I'm being judged all day. The withdrawal isn't very bad at all. Way easier than any benzo or ssri. I highly recommend gabapentin before trying an ssri.

This is just my opinion.

Oh wow, forgot about gabapentin! That's a good option as well. I take it daily for a mood stabilizer but it helps with anxiety too.

I highly recommend gabapentin before trying an ssri.

I'd have to agree. That said, I wouldn't just up and recommend an SSRI to someone that isn't depressed/have mood swings.

I put of giving them a shot, but when I finally did, it worked pretty well. I've now been on sertraline for 1 year next month. Glad the first one I tried helped.

All depends on your individual chemistry, but Zoloft helped me enormously for depression. I've been on it for a few years. I haven't had any problems stopping the drug either. YMMV.

I think SSRI's do have a vital role in helping some people with depression and anxiety. I believe, however, that they are over-prescribed and a lot of GPs advocate them even after a rushed 10-minute slot with a patient.

Most guidelines recommend SSRIs to be used in conjunction with therapy, for the treatment of depression. That is rarely the case.

I was prescribed Citalopram after a considerable period (~3 months) of debilitating clinical depression. I could bearly get out of bed and lost complete interest in living. They did indeed help by giving me a need mood lift and extra motivation to at least function at slightly below average.

After a year on SSRIs, I noticed that my moods were flat... I didn't feel down but I wasn't happy ever. My sex drive was diminished. And at this point I realised that these drugs were causing a lot more adverse effects than positive ones.

I gradually tapered down my dose until I discontinued the SSRI and I felt a great deal better. Anhedonia gone, more motivation... I could deal healthily with the normal highs and lows of life!

For me, my depression was an indication for SSRIs that immeasurably helped, but I came off of them when I didn't need them anymore.

For that reason they benefited me greatly but I didn't use them over an extended period of time. And that was crucial in my recovery.

A good number of people would actually benefit coming off of SSRIs if they have been on them long-term, and will undoubtably feel better for doing so.

Last edited:
Personally - hell no. Helped me ruin my life @ 30 yrs age. Ended up using heroin to counter the depression and terrible side effects of w/d - even a rather slow one off Paxil.

Just my bad decision making and reckless prescribing experience, I strongly believe was compounded by Paxil use.

Granted many people report great success with them, for me no. No. and never again.

Hey tinker you said zoloft has worked well for you, are you on any other scripts, and has it had any effect on your use of recreational drugs if you use any currently?

SSRI for anxiety? i take 10mg prozac and it helps a little. thats assuming i go a few days without a benzo (i take ativan) but i cant give you medical advice because everyone is different, all i can tell you is this. when you go to a doctor to get benzos, they are going to try and put you on a medication to treat depression and or psychotic symptoms because 9 times out of 10 anxiety is a stem from a bigger problem, and the rest of the times its the other way around. somebody who has anxiety has A CHEMICAL IMBALANCE IN THEIR BRAIN. ive learned that the more drugs you take the more you fuck with that balance and it takes a long time to reverse any damage. ive been on antidepressents (ssris) and anti psychotics, with good results, but i always ended back at square one not knowing if i was addicted to benzos or if i was crazy.

my suggestion to you is, unless your depressed for NO reason, and nothing can make you happier for more than 30 seconds, dont take the lexapro. your going to cause your brain to swing in one dramatic way, either really depressed and suicidal (like all anti depressent comercials say, anti depressents can cause suicidal thoughts in children, teens, and young adults, because its true) or your going to be strapped ass crazy happy and not in a good way. if your anything like me, it will cause you to become dependent on pills for your mood too (im not just talking about taking a handfull and just flopping on the couch to binge watch some netflix type good mood either)
im pretty sure ive really fucked my brain up from using psychoactive drugs, but all i know for a fact is if you dont think you need it, you probably dont. and if you need it and deny it, youll be institutionalized, because you wont know any better. (this is all experiance from taking prozac to be specific, ive been on it for over 3 months now and ive lost my mind, and if im correct, all ssris work in a similar way) Please be safe when talking to a doctor, its safer to just be honest. works better too. people can tell when your being brutally honest, i told my doctor that i needed a benzo and i love the way they make me feel, but they help, and he still wrote me ativan. like i said im not 100% sure what my problem is either but im pretty sure xanax and klonipin have fucked all my levels up, and this SSRI even more. if you know what i mean.