Mental Health Worsening depression & anxiety w/seasons

littlesmg88

Greenlighter
I was diagnosed with ADD, Panic:( disorder, anxiety, and Major Depressive disorder 13 years ago and have been on medications (anti-depressants, klonopin, adderall) ever since.
I am currently on 60mg cymbalta and the last few years when the time changes and it starts getting dark earlier I either have a lot of anxiety for no reason or feel extra depressed and unmotivated. My biggest symptoms with my depression is SEVERE lack of motivation- trouble getting things done, being productive etc. & irritability.
Does anyone else experience this? What can be done to help?

Sometimes seasonal affective disorder is overlaid on top of MDD and whatever else you have going on. Some people get relief with using bright light (search light box, SAD) for awhile in the morning. Motivation is often the last symptom to resolve. Honestly I think that the return of motivation is the result of human relationships and -wanting- to do things that yield rewards. The medications just stimulate the body to a small degree and dull the emotional pain. forcing yourself to do things you dont want to do while depressed will make you irritable. sometimes its more than that and youre in a mixed-state. If you get really, really ragey and start punching things thats when Id mention it to your pdoc. You could try asking about bupropion. Some pdocs with more experience may even consider dopamine agonists. Most of them dont. Be careful of your intake of sugars, especially if youre inactive. You can get caught in a loop where you end up using carbohydrates to quell anxiety and the backlash of insulin makes you shakey and nervous which triggers panic. Id concentrate on the therapy side of things too. and maybe seek out some group activities of some kind to join.

Be careful of your intake of sugars, especially if youre inactive. You can get caught in a loop where you end up using carbohydrates to quell anxiety and the backlash of insulin makes you shakey and nervous which triggers panic. Id concentrate on the therapy side of things too. and maybe seek out some group activities of some kind to join.

So true and often overlooked.

So true and often overlooked.

I have to second that as well.
I'm in this situation with food right now.
when the anxiety comes rolling I eat carbs till I collapse, it's maybe better than taking a drug, but feels very unhealthy.

I was in AA for a while (I miss AA but feel shame when there now since I vape thc and trying to get off suboxone for the nth time).
anyways, they have this book that they read called "living sober". It has a chapter about how to eat something sweet when craving drink,
whiskey or beer or whatever doesn't go with chocolate fudge cake is the idea. replacement.
I took that to heart and now I have pre-diabetes.

I'm scared my right now somewhat crippling depression mixed with the carb overload and the diabetes bullshit will put something/anything over the top.
I've had this thing with food for a good five years.
no bulimia luckily, but heavy bingeing.
so yeah, feeling pretty desperate but can't act on anything since I have a young son.
much love OP and Herby, I hope you're well and in a good place).